Elano's Depature

MCRJON said:
im gutted about this. Weve sold imo our most technically gifted player.

People say he hasnt played well since Xmas in season 1 but thats a load bollocks. He was fantastic and one of the main reasons we start that season so well. He was injured over that xmas and it was openly said he had been carrying a knock he picked up playing for Brazil in the October.

When he returned he played most of the games at right back!! This season i though he started very well, he was instrumental in the early season wins, notbaly v west ham and was dropped for no reason. Got back in October and again played well again only to be dropped again so we could play SWP in midfield.... id be pissed off.

People dont realise that for most of 2008 his wife was in hospistal due to a complicated pregnancy and only really returned home after having the child in november.

When he went into the press he didnt criticise Hughes in any way, lots of people jumped on a bandwagon without reading what he said (see Jonathan Ross / Russell Brand). He said he had been dropped and the manager hadnt spoken to him to explain why and his attempts to talk to the manager had gone unanswered - who was the unprofessional one there??

He got in a couple of times after that - remember how he created acres of space v Hull by pulling players to him and giving to Ireland in co who ran rampant in said space and he put a massive shift in v wigan v 10 men... then what... dropped again.

Biggest Irony is that he probably saved Hughes' job with the performance v Hamburg, never forget the look on the two Hamburg fans faces after the home leg when they were asking me whether Elano had been injured for the 1st leg and i said no, we decided to play SWP in midfield instead.

Obviosly though he is good enough for Brazil and not for City...
Post of the year.

Unknown_Genius said:
BillyShears said:
You, my friend, don't know what you're talking about...

As I said earlier today...all those Elano lovers that were ranting about how he's gonna go off to AC or Inter and prove himself to be a world beater have well and truly had it shoved up their arses. Turkey? Don't make me fucking laugh. Elano simply does not have what it takes to cut it at the very top. His departure won't even be a footnote in our history...

An overrated player, defended by those with hidden agenda's against our manager...

He only became a regular for Brazil when Dunga came, he wasnt at the 2006 WC. And yes, he was relatively unnoticed before he went to Shaktar. When he was at Santos, a guy called Diego outshone him, and guess what? Diego is playing for Juventus, while Elano is in Turkey.

Not had to fight off competition for any of Hughes signings? Liverpool were courting Barry for a long time, Chelsea and Real wanted Tevez, Milan wanted Adebayor, Man U, Arsenal, and Liverpool were looking at Santa Cruz.
Really? Is this true?

Gutted he's gone to be honest and means theres even more pressure on Ireland to stay fit as theres not many other players in the team who can play in the role behind the front men aswell as Elano can

Elano was inconsistant last year but thats to be expected he was playing in a defensive midfield position for the most part and wasn't able to influence the game aswell as he can in the final 3rd. When he was played in a position closer to the front men he was excellent on occasions and shown what he's capable of

There were times last season when we were playing Vassell on the right with SWP in the middle while Elano was left on the bench which to this day i still can't understand why as we all saw what he's capable of when playing on the right as he's shown for Brazil and shown for us in his performances towards the end of the season

I'll miss him and i wish him all the best, he's a very good player when played in his best position but sadly he didn't get many chances to do that last season due to the form of Ireland and other reasons which are quite clear

MCRJON said:
With Elano are gone will we get a more workmanlike 'Mark Hughes' team. The teams that will continue to struggle to break down the likes of Bolton, Stoke, WBA, Boro (i know theyve gone) away from home. What worries me is that last season we stuck to one system regardless of who was available and who we were playing.

Elano shouldnt play every game, neither should Robinho. But neither should De Jong, Kompany, Zabaleta etc. Some games we will need to play rough and tumble players in and some games we will need to play more flair based players.

Hughes never had to man manage big stars at Blackburn, he has a couple who could play every game. Is no one else worried that we had one flair player last season who he needed to manage and work with and he failed, whilst now we have 3/4 that will need to be managed. Time will tell on that for Lesley, in many ways I hope then it was just Elanos fault and he can make it work with the new batch.

Backing up a bit, Elano was our most technically gifted player. Robinho is a flair player, but things like never missing a penalty, being able to select which toe on a players foot the ball lands on when you pass it from 60 yeards. Those are true techincal attributes and Elan had them. Ireland could have that, but not yet.

You're absolutely nailing it in this thread, that post is spot on.

Elano has revealed he had to leave Manchester City for Galatasaray in order to safeguard his place in Brazil's World Cup squad.

The schemer has signed a four-year contract with the Turkish giants after spending the previous two seasons with City.

He impressed during his debut campaign under Sven Goran Eriksson, but was in and out of the side following Mark Hughes' appointment as manager.

The likes of Inter Milan and Juventus had been linked with the 28-year-old and he confirmed he had received several offers.

However, he believes linking up with Galatasaray presents him with the best opportunity to claim a spot in Brazil coach Dunga's plans for next summer's World Cup in South Africa.
Dream
"I spoke with my national coach Dunga and he told me it will be difficult to enter me on his World Cup list if I am not playing football regularly," said Elano.

"I need time on the field. This season is very important. I dream of playing in the World Cup.

"I have received a few other offers, but this is the best one for me and City.

"I never had any problems with the coach, but Hughes may not have had total confidence in me."

To everybody who said we had a hidden agenda for being disappointed in Elano's departure,
SSN are reporting the above quotes from Elano in which he states he had "no problem with Hughes" he just wanted first team football for the world cup. So as I always thought dressing room fallouts were just paper talk and I'm really glad he has come out and put an end to all the gossip that he fell out with the manager.

BillyShears said:
Elano is vastly overrated by certain segments of City's support. This has been shown to be fact by his move to Galatasaray. To suggest he is some kind of genius who Hughes simply couldn't get to grips with is patently not true. SGE couldn't get much out of Elano after a couple of months the season had gone.

Whats more, coincidentally, those who vastly overrate Elano on this board are the same lot who think Hughes is a "workaday" manager. Now that argument is weak in the extreme. Hughes may or may not turn out to be our most successful manager ever, but to suggest he can't work with creative players is patently horseshit. Hence my criticism of the things you've posted, and my reference to yours, and other posters', hidden agendas.

Now I'm going to the breakfast buffet...

I wouldn't go as far to say he is vastly overrated, I liked Elano, but at the end of the day he was inconsistent. One reason he started so well over here in his first season, was because he was an unknown, very few had heard of him, but once people became more aware of what he could do, they started marking him more tightly and gave him more physical attention, and he couldn't deal with that side of the game. Even SGE said that Elano would have to learn to live with getting lumps kicked out of him. He even dropped him for a match against Bolton for that reason. You can't turn form on and off, the top midfielders in this country, Lampard, Gerrard, Essien, perform week in week out regardless of whether it is a rough and tumble away match at the Potteries, or a home match on a nice sunny day. Thats why Elano is not in that bracket, and why no other clubs in this country, looked at signing him. The guy is now 28, and he hasn't got much time to make it to a top club, he would have to do fantastically well in Turkey to make it, and that is by no means a guarantee.

I do not agree with the view that Elano is some sort of genius who Hughes couldn't deal with, or that he doesn't like creative players, I think that is nonsense. I also think the view that Hughes is a "workman like grind out results" manager is also bollocks. It doesn't matter how gifted you are, you have to work hard, especially away from home, all your top players work hard, no one is an exception to the rule. You can go on all you like about what Elano can do with a football, but the proof is right there, Elano is playing in Turkey, Inter and AC were supposed to be interested but they have decided not to pursue him. Makes you think whether there was a good reason for that.

We can debate this till the cows come home, but the bottom line is that Hughes saw fit to release the player and we have to trust the manager in this.

As long as he's acting in the best interests of Man City F.C. I'll be behind Hughes, come what may.

Kirkstall Blue said:
Elano has revealed he had to leave Manchester City for Galatasaray in order to safeguard his place in Brazil's World Cup squad.

The schemer has signed a four-year contract with the Turkish giants after spending the previous two seasons with City.

He impressed during his debut campaign under Sven Goran Eriksson, but was in and out of the side following Mark Hughes' appointment as manager.

The likes of Inter Milan and Juventus had been linked with the 28-year-old and he confirmed he had received several offers.

However, he believes linking up with Galatasaray presents him with the best opportunity to claim a spot in Brazil coach Dunga's plans for next summer's World Cup in South Africa.
Dream
"I spoke with my national coach Dunga and he told me it will be difficult to enter me on his World Cup list if I am not playing football regularly," said Elano.

"I need time on the field. This season is very important. I dream of playing in the World Cup.

"I have received a few other offers, but this is the best one for me and City.

"I never had any problems with the coach, but Hughes may not have had total confidence in me."

To everybody who said we had a hidden agenda for being disappointed in Elano's departure,
SSN are reporting the above quotes from Elano in which he states he had "no problem with Hughes" he just wanted first team football for the world cup. So as I always thought dressing room fallouts were just paper talk and I'm really glad he has come out and put an end to all the gossip that he fell out with the manager.

Good to hear, you won't catch the people slagging him off admitting they were wrong though.

It was his constant whingeing to the press that bothered me most, whether he had a problem with Hughes or not

It's all Hughes fault Elano always underperformed though. Even when he underperformed for Sven so long - that was Hughes' fault

I thought BillyShears would be made to look stupid when Elano was linked with Inter as he always said Elano wasn't the world beater people on here make out and would go to a second rate team, looks like he was right

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.