Electric cars

I certainly buy into the environmental benefits.
No pollution from green energy (including my solar panels) no coal burnt at a nuclear power station either.

The benefits of cleaner air are substantial in towns and cities. ICE pollute way more when being driven in urban area's as opposed to highways. Schools for example are often right next to busy roads with tons of carbon being emitted.

We all benefit from cleaner air.

I meant they are not as green as they are muted to be.
Production costs and rare minerals can be higher than a ICE car.

Saying they are emission free is also incorrect. Hence "the power has to come from somewhere".
Until we are 100% renewable, then coal/gas and Nuclear still have an impact. So they are better, but not totally green.

However, power stations are better regulated for emissions. Relying on people to maintain their cars less so.
Either way it is better to move emissions out of towns.
Since driving an EV, i've noticed exhausts gases way more. Maybe driving a ICE yourself masks these smells!

I would have argued that the move to EV's punished low income families. Not so much these days. You can pick up decent EV's for less than 5K. Street charging (for terraced/flats) still needs sorting. And not at public charging rates either.

In fact that was how we ended up getting one. We wanted to pick up a cheapie for my wife to run around in. (keeping her ICE car as well)
But as ever, i kept upping the budget for more range and better spec. In the end the figures added up for going the whole hog.

So far, absolutely no downside experienced.

This year my car insurance went up by over £100.
Insurance costs have rocketed everywhere you just have to shop around but they will still go up, lots if cars are been written off because the cost to give you a courtesy car and wait fir parts it’s cheaper just to write cars off even fir minimal damage. EVs are very expensive to repair especially if they damage the batteries, a Tesla battery is around £8-10k apparently!

Reactions: jrb
I meant they are not as green as they are muted to be.
Production costs and rare minerals can be higher than a ICE car.

Saying they are emission free is also incorrect. Hence "the power has to come from somewhere".
Until we are 100% renewable, then coal/gas and Nuclear still have an impact. So they are better, but not totally green.

However, power stations are better regulated for emissions. Relying on people to maintain their cars less so.
Either way it is better to move emissions out of towns.
Since driving an EV, i've noticed exhausts gases way more. Maybe driving a ICE yourself masks these smells!

I would have argued that the move to EV's punished low income families. Not so much these days. You can pick up decent EV's for less than 5K. Street charging (for terraced/flats) still needs sorting. And not at public charging rates either.

In fact that was how we ended up getting one. We wanted to pick up a cheapie for my wife to run around in. (keeping her ICE car as well)
But as ever, i kept upping the budget for more range and better spec. In the end the figures added up for going the whole hog.

So far, absolutely no downside experienced.
Wait till you have to replace the battery or it catches fire on your drive

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.