Electric cars

Looking at getting a hybrid Golf GTE, would suit our needs lots of short town journeys and if need a petrol for a longer one, I was contemplating a Tesla as second hand prices seem reasonable however the insurance is double the Golf’s.
All insurance has gone up.
It's weird. My Audi SQ5 was £652 two years ago.
£1920 last year. (haggled to £1650)
£2342 this year.
Hence the need for it to go.

No accidents ever/no convictions with 30+ NCB/8 yrs + NCB on another car.
I don't think they like my Droylsden postcode!
The new EV is £587 at the same address. The other diesel people carrier is £599.

A plug in hybrid is a great compromise. 25+ EV miles, then ICE if you need to venture further.
My only worry was having two systems to go wrong. Not a worry while under warranty though.

Not buying into the environmental benefits of an EV. Electric power has to come from somewhere.
Urban air quality will improve as more pure EV's come along. But it just moves it out of towns etc.

Last edited:
What is the resale value of these EVs would you buy a second hand one say 3 years old or are they gonna turn out to be a load of shite and what about the insurance costs and the parts being dearer and services being expensive

I spend roughly £50 every 2 weeks on diesel. That’s £1300 a year on diesel. With an electric car on one overnight full charge at 7p a kWH that would last me a week as I only use my car for work, the shops, etc. However, insuring an electric car compared to my current car would be £900 more expensive a year. So the savings over a year wouldn’t be that great. Maybe a few hundred pounds? If insuring an electric car was the same as insuring a diesel or petrol car, I’d be looking at saving over £1000 a year.

Check your current car insurance. it may have gone up during the policy. You will only know when you re-insure. You might find there isn't such a big difference.

We were worried about insurance. Again the "internet" scared the bejeebers out of us.
We stupidly bought the car before checking.
Luckily, it went down £100. (Admiral Silver)

What is the resale value of these EVs would you buy a second hand one say 3 years old or are they gonna turn out to be a load of shite and what about the insurance costs and the parts being dearer and services being expensive

There isn't as much to go wrong with them. No engines/gearboxes(as such)/Oil. No cambelts/plugs or injectors. No exhausts/DPF/EGR or Lamba sensors.
Most batteries have long warranties. And independant garages are opening to repair batteries.
The brakes will be like new as they aren't really used because of regen braking.
Tyres will be an issue. The cars are heavier compared to their ICE equivalent. Plus the acceleration and torque on offer can quickly wear them down!

I would ask for a battery health check even if still under warranty.
The electric motor can fail. But again that may still be under warranty.
I think that software and electric glitches will be the main issues. But it's all just a guess at this point.

All they rest of the stuff is the same as any car.

Reactions: jrb

I spoke to Hyundai. Just a general chat. I had no intention to buying. If you buy a used Ionic 5 less than 3 years old you get the remainder of the 5 year warranty included in the price. So if the car is 2 years old, that’s 3 years peace of mind. Obviously Hyundai dealer used car prices are usually more expensive than a 2nd hand car dealers price, who’ll probably give you a 3 month warranty. In the end it boils down to saving money or peace of mind. Personally I’d rather have peace of mind. With the added bonus, should anything go wrong, Hyundai will repair the car free of charge.

I believe servicing costs are very small due to there being hardly any moving parts, so no oil or filter changes, no plugs to change.

When I move into our new house, I'm getting solar on the roof and an EV so overnight charging will be free. Sick of paying $80 to fill up.

Reactions: jrb
There is a Megane E-Tech Iconic (top spec model) at Renault Liverpool.
24 plate demo car (358 miles). List around £40K. £26464 with £1000 dealer contribution!
That is some saving for a main dealer car.
Makes the next depreciation drop to be way less.

This is a seriously great EV. Has every feature available. 280 range (230 ish real world)
Fast AC/DC charger as well.

Not buying into the environmental benefits of an EV. Electric power has to come from somewhere.
Urban air quality will improve as more pure EV's come along. But it just moves it out of towns etc.
I certainly buy into the environmental benefits.
No pollution from green energy (including my solar panels) no coal burnt at a nuclear power station either.

The benefits of cleaner air are substantial in towns and cities. ICE pollute way more when being driven in urban area's as opposed to highways. Schools for example are often right next to busy roads with tons of carbon being emitted.

We all benefit from cleaner air.

I believe servicing costs are very small due to there being hardly any moving parts, so no oil or filter changes, no plugs to change.

When I move into our new house, I'm getting solar on the roof and an EV so overnight charging will be free. Sick of paying $80 to fill up.
I'm going to do exactly that I'm the future when I finally decide to sell my house and move. New or used house with a driveway, roof solar panels with a battery.(so I can sell any spare electricity back to the grid), used electric car.

Check your current car insurance. it may have gone up during the policy. You will only know when you re-insure. You might find there isn't such a big difference.

We were worried about insurance. Again the "internet" scared the bejeebers out of us.
We stupidly bought the car before checking.
Luckily, it went down £100. (Admiral Silver)
This year my car insurance went up by over £100.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.