Electric cars

As mentioned above, i've recently bought the wife a new Megane E-Tech EV.
My wifes driving needs suit an EV perfectly. Small start stop trips, and no more than 50 miles a day on average.
The Megane is rated for 280 miles range, so will easily do 200+ real world. And we can just charge again overnight.
I still feel high mileage users need to wait for the new LIPOe batteries just coming out. These will double current battery ranges. Can fully charge to 100% without an issue and don't have run-away battery fires and are cheaper to make.

Home charging is proving very cheap and we are switching to the new EV energy rates with EDF.
However saving some money fuel wise has turned out to be just be a bonus.
I'm a proper petrol head, and could never see myself wanting an EV. But i was always curious about how they drive.
My Audi SQ5 PLUS SE has a 0-60 under 5 seconds, and 700nm+ torque on tap. Although not an out and out sport car, it is no slouch.

The Megane is only a mild EV, with no bonkers 0-60 times. However, it still has 220 BHP and 300nm torque in a small hatchback form.
Well i've now found out what instant response/power means real world.
With my turbo engine, i floor the throttle, wait a min while the turbo's spin up and the car decides what gear is best. Yes the world then blurs and off it goes.

EV's don't do that. You get all the power instantly. No turbo or gears no fuss, no noise.
So even though the Megane is slower 0-60, actually on the road acceleration is amazing.
The lack of noise actually makes the acceleration feel even stronger. It like being on one of the newer "launch" roller coasters.

It has given me a taste for more. I now want a EV!
I can vouch for the acceleration. I have a Eniro FE and I have never in my nearly 60 years of driving experienced acceleration like it. The only problem I find is keeping the tyres in contact with the floor - and holding on. Overtaking, especially on our roads, has never been easier.

I am interested in seeing in Hydrogen Fuel Cells start to get more popular, but the cynic in me see that there is not as much money in it for manufacturers (replacement of batteries, battery improvement and being able to sell at a premium due to the next major breakthrough etc..). I am sure that a fuel cell is a better solution to batteries, but what do I know

I am interested in seeing in Hydrogen Fuel Cells start to get more popular, but the cynic in me see that there is not as much money in it for manufacturers (replacement of batteries, battery improvement and being able to sell at a premium due to the next major breakthrough etc..). I am sure that a fuel cell is a better solution to batteries, but what do I know
Hydrogen is dead in the water. (at the moment)
It's not the cars/technology/infrastructure. It's the simple fact of producing hydrogen cheaply enough.
Then there is the refuelling risk.

The final straw is already happening.
New battery tech that came out last month can double current electric car ranges. In fact they are so energy dense that aviation can use them.
BYD is the first, then Tesla, then mainstream.

Why would i go hydrogen when i can charge very cheaply at home and never visit a garage.
It was the main reason i switched.
However, i'm sure we will be hearing more about "pay per mile" soon enough. Governments are never going to let us off with duty and VAT!

Looking at getting a hybrid Golf GTE, would suit our needs lots of short town journeys and if need a petrol for a longer one, I was contemplating a Tesla as second hand prices seem reasonable however the insurance is double the Golf’s.

Hydrogen is dead in the water. (at the moment)
It's not the cars/technology/infrastructure. It's the simple fact of producing hydrogen cheaply enough.
Then there is the refuelling risk.

The final straw is already happening.
New battery tech that came out last month can double current electric car ranges. In fact they are so energy dense that aviation can use them.
BYD is the first, then Tesla, then mainstream.

Why would i go hydrogen when i can charge very cheaply at home and never visit a garage.
It was the main reason i switched.
However, i'm sure we will be hearing more about "pay per mile" soon enough. Governments are never going to let us off with duty and VAT!
All very well but the infrastructure for non driveway users is still piss poor. Also there's still nothing that would swing me regarding second hand cars and what to do with the batteries at the end of there life. 2nd hand electric sales are virtually non existent. Constantly getting calls about my Wife's petrol CX5 from Mazda as they want the stock and for her to switch to an EV.

All very well but the infrastructure for non driveway users is still piss poor. Also there's still nothing that would swing me regarding second hand cars and what to do with the batteries at the end of there life. 2nd hand electric sales are virtually non existent. Constantly getting calls about my Wife's petrol CX5 from Mazda as they want the stock and for her to switch to an EV.
I completely agree infrastructure wise. Hence my above post says "I still feel high mileage users need to wait for the new LFPe type batteries".
This solves a few problems. High mileage drivers can get on with a full days driving without range worries. (and can then mainly charge at home)
Second, if the range doubles, you will have 50% less drivers trying to charge up at the same time. This works because the new batteries also charge much quicker. Charge stations are increasing at a rapid rate either way.

90% of our EV can be recycled. There are now independent garages doing battery swaps/battery repairs.
Our electric motor has a six year warranty, and the battery eight.

I don't see the attraction of a used diesel anymore. The emission technology on them is a royal pain when it goes wrong. DPF/EGR/injector's constantly go wrong as the mileage racks up. I'm speaking from experience!

The reality of a modern ICE car is they are too complicated and become too expensive to maintain after 10 years anyway. So i think most cars these days are near a throw away item after 10 years or so for the average Joe...EV or ICE. I'm not saying they should be thrown away though, as there are plenty of well looked after older cars. But the bills can become higher than the cars worth etc.

Main dealers HAVE to sell so many EV's to meet government targets. Hence the deals.
High priced EV's were always going to suffer high depreciation because they were artificially priced. Government grants/tax incentive schemes to business's has made a high glut of new EV's on the roads.

EV's don't suit everybody. More needs to be done to allow flat/terraced owners to charge.

I haven't taken either side of these arguments. I still have multiple ICE cars on my drive.
But i've done my research, and have both. So i can give a more valid opinion than somebody who doesn't own an EV and only goes off internet myths. (and i don't mean you!)

Last edited:
Nothing will convince me that EV's are anything but the new betamax. While I agree they are getting a little better and for some people, like my daughter who never ventures more than 15 miles from her house they will work as she has a drive. She still won't have one though(that's a good petrolhead upbringing for you...lol). The whole better for the environment argument just falls down when you build the cost of every aspect of the build into it. They still give off emissions from the brakes and tyres. You can't give them away second hand and you have to be certified to work on them, no more home DIYer's. Yes they may be quick off the mark but they don't smell like a car and they sound absolutely shite. Better off buying a classic car if you want to protect the environment.

I spend roughly £50 every 2 weeks on diesel. That’s £1300 a year on diesel. With an electric car on one overnight full charge at 7p a kWH that would last me a week as I only use my car for work, the shops, etc. However, insuring an electric car compared to my current car would be £900 more expensive a year. So the savings over a year wouldn’t be that great. Maybe a few hundred pounds? If insuring an electric car was the same as insuring a diesel or petrol car, I’d be looking at saving over £1000 a year.

Nothing will convince me that EV's are anything but the new betamax. While I agree they are getting a little better and for some people, like my daughter who never ventures more than 15 miles from her house they will work as she has a drive. She still won't have one though(that's a good petrolhead upbringing for you...lol). The whole better for the environment argument just falls down when you build the cost of every aspect of the build into it. They still give off emissions from the brakes and tyres. You can't give them away second hand and you have to be certified to work on them, no more home DIYer's. Yes they may be quick off the mark but they don't smell like a car and they sound absolutely shite. Better off buying a classic car if you want to protect the environment.
I am a petrolhead. I always will be.
I've had just about every brand available. Started off with Mini's/Capri's/XR Fords/X19. Then RS Fords. Went through a Vauxhall GSi/MG/Mercedes phase (oops!). 4X4 Frontera/Pathfinder. Then Golf's/Jaguar/KIA. Alfa Romeo GTV/Audi SQ5. Plus many many more brands. (never had BMW though)
Loved them all.

Rather than believe the internet. I bought an EV. (for the wife)
No issues to report. Maybe i just bought a good EV. (Renault Megane E-Tech Iconic)
I have options every journey. Yet i find myself jumping into the EV everytime.

As for exhausts sounds and EV's being soulless. I think they are soulless in that regard. Yet there is a thrill accelerating silently that has its own charm. Plus the instant response has long since left modern turbo cars.
The Audi SQ5 (ICE) has speakers in the exhaust. I can chose different car sounds. V6/V8/Subaru boxer. All fake, yet sounds awesome. I used to be called Mr Janspeed in the eighties for my love of tuning cars.
When i'm not in the mood, i turn it all off. Best of both worlds. Even so, i'm going EV for my daily next.
Maybe i'm just getting OLD!

However! I'm looking into getting a Lotus Emira for weekend use. The Manual V6 engine. Had enough off gear paddles that i rarely use. I still love the sound of a V6 on song.
So for me, ICE is only ever going to be a hobby/weekend car going forwards.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.