Electric/Hybrid Cars

The infrastructure is not currently in place to support high numbers of electric/plugin-hybrid vehicles in the UK. Firstly, the National Powergrid doesn't have anywhere near the required capacity, and secondly, how do you provide safe and secure power outlets for all the people who don't have dedicated off street parking at their residence?
This is exactly why I am handing my company car back when I finish (in May I hope) and going back to an ICE.. I don't want to shell out for a Tesla and they are the only reliable EVs out there because they have a dedicated charging network.. the other chargers out there are either spaced too sporadically or they are too unreliable

I've loved my 18 months in a BMW i3s but I won't have another till the network is ready

I am going for a Jaguar e-Pace oil burner :-)

There are basically four options for fuel buring engines: The Carnot cycle, the Otto cycle, the Diesel cycle and the Stirling cycle,

Personally I would like to see a Stirling hybrid car developed. It could run on batteries until the engine warms up and then the engine could generate electricity as it cools dowm. Stirling engines are quieter and more efficient than ICEs and can be optisimsed to give a much cleaner burn. An ethanol-Stirling hybrid would be the ideal. Some of the most advanced non-nuke submarines are Stirling hybids.

Sterling engine as in external heat ( hot and cold ) working 2 pistons. ??

Last edited:
Wasn't there a time when cars ran on alcohol and then Standard Oil invested in bringing in prohibition and was never used again?

Is it possible and if so what happens if you run out of charge whilst travelling...does the AA or RAC have booster packs or similar or are there 'spare' batteries available
trailer around an Ingersoll-Rand industrial diesel generator for long trips.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.