Electrician help please.

nw42 said:
big blueballs said:
A bit more info needed....is the problem......high earth loop impedance reading?

Not quite sure mate, he just wrote 'resistance to earth' on the form he left with me, this was under the heading 'for all situations the following remedial works are required.'

He plugged some contraption into the sockets near the boiler, that's when he said it needed sorting.

Just to add, I've had a service contract with BG for about 5yrs and although nothing has been changed they have never flagged it up before.

Sorry I can't give you any further info.
It sounds like 1...the earth has been lost or come loose somewhere, it could be in the socket/spur your boilers connected to, or in the boiler itself, but I am sure your engineer will have checked this, but ( to check switch off your electric to this circuit if your unsure switch the lot off, now check all green/yellow wires are connected tightly and in place)

2....it could be the circuits earth at the dist board that the socket/spur your boiler is on is connected to, (to check switch off your electric carefully open the dist board and check all green/yellow cables are connected tightly and in place)

3.....it could be the earth for the whole installation, if this is the case you will need someone with an Earth Loop Impedance tester to check your installations Ze (external earth loop impedance) and if there is a problem or a high Ze reading this could be due to your service providers loss of its earth somewhere before or at the point it enters your property making it the responsibility of your electricity provider to rectify

The one thing I will add is if the installation has lost its earth, it is a serious issue which needs correcting ASAP and if you contact your electricity provider they will respond accordingly and quickly

Hope this helps

have you unscrewed the socket (turn off electric first) you may just have a loose / poor connection on the earth wire

big blueballs said:
nw42 said:
big blueballs said:
A bit more info needed....is the problem......high earth loop impedance reading?

Not quite sure mate, he just wrote 'resistance to earth' on the form he left with me, this was under the heading 'for all situations the following remedial works are required.'

He plugged some contraption into the sockets near the boiler, that's when he said it needed sorting.

Just to add, I've had a service contract with BG for about 5yrs and although nothing has been changed they have never flagged it up before.

Sorry I can't give you any further info.
It sounds like 1...the earth has been lost or come loose somewhere, it could be in the socket/spur your boilers connected to, or in the boiler itself, but I am sure your engineer will have checked this, but ( to check switch off your electric to this circuit if your unsure switch the lot off, now check all green/yellow wires are connected tightly and in place)

2....it could be the circuits earth at the dist board that the socket/spur your boiler is on is connected to, (to check switch off your electric carefully open the dist board and check all green/yellow cables are connected tightly and in place)

3.....it could be the earth for the whole installation, if this is the case you will need someone with an Earth Loop Impedance tester to check your installations Ze (external earth loop impedance) and if there is a problem or a high Ze reading this could be due to your service providers loss of its earth somewhere before or at the point it enters your property making it the responsibility of your electricity provider to rectify

The one thing I will add is if the installation has lost its earth, it is a serious issue which needs correcting ASAP and if you contact your electricity provider they will respond accordingly and quickly

Hope this helps

stu1 said:
have you unscrewed the socket (turn off electric first) you may just have a loose / poor connection on the earth wire

Thanks lads, I'll try the 'safe' options first and will get someone out to it if I can't see the obvious, although I suppose unless I find a loose wire I'll need to get someone who has one of those impedance testers anyway.

Either way I appreciate the guidance, cheers.

As a spark myself, all I have to say is get an electrician in and ignore any advice there has been on this thread.
Also I have heard stories of British gas engineers finding faults that arnt there if you know what I mean.
If in doubt get a spark out to look at it

gaz76 said:
As a spark myself, all I have to say is get an electrician in and ignore any advice there has been on this thread.
Also I have heard stories of British gas engineers finding faults that arnt there if you know what I mean.

This.

Fuck what everyone else says, get a sparky in before someone dies haha. If its an earthing problem it shouldn't be to bad to sort out.

gaz76 said:

Too late pal, where were you an hour ago?

[bigimg]http://www.mensfitness.com/sites/mensfitness.com/files/u288/ElectricShock.jpg[/bigimg]

Agreed re the BG engineers, been reading a a fair bit along similar lines this afternoon, fuckin shocking practice!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.