Eliaquim Mangala - now official

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Eliaquim Mangala

Joe Hart's Dandruff said:
Can't believe we are willing to pay possibly 40million for a guy who cannot get past the shithouse that is Sakho in the French team. Hopefully it is purely because he lacks experience, but Sakho is only a year older.

As we've seen, especially with France it's not that simple to understand the pecking order within National Teams and why ______ and ______ isn't starting or in the squad at all.

If we base our squad on the whims of strange national team managers, Nasri and Clichy should be sold, Fernandinho should be a bit part player, and we should replace Negredo with Torres.

Oh, and we should play Sergio Aguero as a left winger.

MillionDollarDream said:
Can't believe we are willing to pay possibly 40million for a guy who cannot get past the shithouse that is Sakho in the French team. Hopefully it is purely because he lacks experience, but Sakho is only a year older.

As we've seen, especially with France it's not that simple to understand the pecking order within National Teams and why ______ and ______ isn't starting or in the squad at all.

Hard to see him going for the price people are quoting if he can't get a game, even off the bench. Would ANYONE pay £20M for Koscielny, let alone £40M for his back up?

When prices get into the £20M+ range! you SHOULD be paying for goals corners and game changers, not full backs and central defenders. £30M for Shaw will NEVER be repaid, unless he plays against Ronaldo, Robben, Aguero, Messi, Sanchez, Etc, etc, etc.... every game and they never get a kick...or he is a dead cert to score free kicks every game!

The supposed €50M for Luiz, followed by Shaw at £30M, is making a mockery of FFP, and making it crystal clear that the wealthiest clubs are literally playing a different game. Of course, against this backdrop, City have squad and financial restrictions, even though they have ZERO DEBT!

Oh, the insanity!!

ChicagoBlue said:
MillionDollarDream said:

Hard to see him going for the price people are quoting if he can't get a game, even off the bench. Would ANYONE pay £20M for Koscielny, let alone £40M for his back up?

When prices get into the £20M+ range! you SHOULD be paying for goals corners and game changers, not full backs and central defenders. £30M for Shaw will NEVER be repaid, unless he plays against Ronaldo, Robben, Aguero, Messi, Sanchez, Etc, etc, etc.... every game and they never get a kick...or he is a dead cert to score free kicks every game!

The supposed €50M for Luiz, followed by Shaw at £30M, is making a mockery of FFP, and making it crystal clear that the wealthiest clubs are literally playing a different game. Of course, against this backdrop, City have squad and financial restrictions, even though they have ZERO DEBT!

Oh, the insanity!!

I think a lot of people would pay £20m for Koscielny. He was a fairly popular candidate for CB of the season in the league last year, and he's 28. As for paying £40m for his back-up, it's different at international level. There's very little incentive to choose youth over experience, since the youth players are committed to your team no matter what. Just wait 4 years till they're more experienced and they'll play for you then. Clubs don't have the same luxury of leaving players on the back burner and knowing they'll still be gaining experience and waiting around.

As for what £20m should buy you, I'm inclined to agree but the truth of the matter is it's all relative. What did Man U. pay for Ferdinand? What did we pay for Lescott? A player is worth what the market will bear. If a club doesn't want to sell a player he's worth more. If a club does want to sell a player he's worth less. What's David Luiz worth to us? No clue, but it's a damn sight short of £40+ million. But that's how much he was worth to PSG, and he was worth less than that to Chelsea, so he was sold. So it goes.

Same with Shaw. No clue how anyone can say that he's worth £30m to them, but Woodward and Louise did. Maybe they're worried about selling shirts, or English identity, genuinely contending, or having a younger side. No clue. But since nobody else thought he was worth that he's all theirs.

All this by way of saying there is no set market value or anything like that. At least not toward the top. It's just what players are worth to the people who want to pull off a purchase, and whether that number is higher than the selling club's own consideration. Porto would rather have Mangala at their club than have £35m in their pocket, so that's what he's worth. Fair play to them.

Just a matter of whether or not our valuation is higher, which I hope it isn't. Still feel like there has to be an alternative for less.

In regards to the price for defenders nowadays I just think the inflation has increased again.

5 or so years ago £30mil bought you the best strikers in the game, now you are looking at 50, 60, 70m plus.

The same with defenders, now the defenders have took over the prices paid for strikers 5 or so years ago, £25mil plus is the going rate for the highly rated defenders now.

I don't think Mangala is worth €40mil at all and if we pay him ten we must be very confident that he is going to turn out a world beater.

We live in a generation where top central defenders are hard to come by and even the top ones of today arguably don't come close to what we had in abundance 10-15 + years ago.

I do think if Yaya goes then our priority for a top defender may diminish a little with us ending up going for a stop gap in order for us to fund a replacement for Yaya.

Our defence is important but of we don't replace Yaya well we could struggle big time next season.

Exactly my thoughts. Just couldn't be arsed typing it!

MaineRoadBlue said:

So another france reject...Nasri Clithy and Him keep coming

MaineRoadBlue said:

Doesn't stop them playing Varane

Main factor here is the fact that he has never played club football in France & - indeed - only in Belgium & Portugal.

This has contributed enormously to a lack of caps because even though he has starred for a regularly CL qualifying side, chances of seeing him (and of relativising his performances against known quality of opponents) has been limited.

If he comes to City (or goes to another top club in a top league) he'll be ahead of Sakho in a second (although Koscielny & Varane are a great defensive pair, either of which I would have here infront of Mangala).

The_Boxing_KangaBlue said:
Mad_fer_it said:
TFC said:
Never trust a nation in which the sportsmen drink their own piss.

Actually laughed my arse off at Tricky Trev there.....When you get there tell us how well the Aboriginal folk get on with the ex convicts. Yeh super tolerant society there pal.
*sigh*

Yep. So, tell me about the National Front... The BNP... Britain First... Jack 'England for the English' Wilshire...

Very easy to pot a whole country on the basis of a few. Try a bit harder.

Have your little tiff, by all means, but leave my country - which you probably know very little about - out of it.

Ignore them mate, brain dead fuckwits that spout shit they know fuck all about.

Makes them feel better about themselves and their sad little lives.

Tricky_Trev, where are you moving to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.