Eliaquim Mangala - now official

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Eliaquim Mangala

RandomJ said:
cleavers said:
RandomJ said:
He didn't get a game for France and has been on holiday for a few weeks boozing and whatever else so he will be weeks away from match fitness. Every single day this drags on is critical.
I don't think you have much understanding of modern european footballers, we're not signing Richard Dunne, he'll be as fit as required, I would imagine over the last fortnight since the video, he's been following a specific fitness programme arranged by the club, probably supervised by someone from the club.

He'll be fine, and even if he'd been here two weeks ago, which was unlikely since all the players who got past the group stages of the WC arrived back on Monday, its only 4 weeks since he was with France, training, in case required in a world cup game.

Behave. Have you ever actually seen footballers on a holiday or seen pictures of them on holiday? They go fucking hard on the booze. They are on strict fitness and diet regimes where they have to be careful all year round so obviously on the few weeks they get off a year they are going to let loose and have fun. Mangala is young and rich he will have been enjoying himself. I have no doubt he'd have been running or something during that time but since he didn't play a game for France there is zero chance he will be anywhere near match fitness.

I'm trying to work out whether ive ever read a more ridiculous post

I think people tend to confuse being fit with football sharpness. Iv been doing a lot of work on the treadmill over the last few weeks but my first football training session was last night and I was fucked after about ten minutes of a high pressing session. I realised how different being fit on a treadmill is to actual football fitness. You use your whole body and the running is much more sporadic in short bursts. Obviously top class athletes will keep a level of fitness over the summer (my friend Zeki Fryers the spurs player does a lot of it), but as he said to me, there is nothing quite like being at your optimum for a Premiership game.. It's a total different level of fitness/sharpness on the ball.

Mangala (and probably Vinny/MDM will not have that right now), so I can't see him starting the season unless we get him in for a whole week as of Monday. Even then it might be too soon.

Mattyc55 said:
I think people tend to confuse being fit with football sharpness. Iv been doing a lot of work on the treadmill over the last few weeks but my first football training session was last night and I was fucked after about ten minutes of a high pressing session. I realised how different being fit on a treadmill is to actual football fitness. You use your whole body and the running is much more sporadic in short bursts. Obviously top class athletes will keep a level of fitness over the summer (my friend Zeki Fryers the spurs player does a lot of it), but as he said to me, there is nothing quite like being at your optimum for a Premiership game.. It's a total different level of fitness/sharpness on the ball.

Mangala (and probably Vinny/MDM will not have that right now), so I can't see him starting the season unless we get him in for a whole week as of Monday. Even then it might be too soon.

Haha, i know just how you feel. I do lots of 10ks, half marathons but havent played football for years. I played a 5 a side comp a few weeks ago and we played 6 15 monute games. I havent been that fucked in years and couldnt walk for about 4 days afterwards. Doing road or treadmill work is completely different to actual football sharpness. All depends what he's been doing during his time off.

willipp said:
Mattyc55 said:

Haha, i know just how you feel. I do lots of 10ks, half marathons but havent played football for years. I played a 5 a side comp a few weeks ago and we played 6 15 monute games. I havent been that fucked in years and couldnt walk for about 4 days afterwards. Doing road or treadmill work is completely different to actual football sharpness. All depends what he's been doing during his time off.

Pussy! ;) If your body is used to playing football, then it's ready to play football. It's like riding a bike.

Bruun said:
willipp said:
Mattyc55 said:

Pussy! ;) If your body is used to playing football, then it's ready to play football. It's like riding a bike.

lol, I think its what happens with getting old, nearly bloody killed me. My body clearly isnt used to playing football.

willipp said:
Bruun said:
willipp said:

lol, I think its what happens with getting old, nearly bloody killed me. My body clearly isnt used to playing football.

Muscle memory etc does impact - if you play football regularly, a break of a month or so will impact but gradual increase in training and fitness will get you back to full fitness quite quickly. I had the same problem, hadn't played football in ages, but regularly cycle and felt I was in good shape. Then played a 5aside tournament and couldn't move for 3 days afterwards, and I barely moved on the pitch. Mangala will be eased back into training and will get up to full fitness quite quickly. He won't be thrown straight into a 5aside game which is extremely intense but actually is how Pellegrini has City playing the game with 11. High pressing, pass and move and constant running. Football has moved on from the days of a life of excess where you could still turn up and win a game after a night out. Paul Merson and the like would struggle to cope in the modern game with the expectations on lifestyle and fitness.

The truth of the matter is, that Mangala never left the traiing ground after the video. Unfortunately, he took a wrong turn coming back from the bogs and got locked in a broom cupboard that only Chappy has the combination for. Due to chappy being very forgetful, he is trying every cobination possible starting from 0000A. Latest update, they are upto 5487F and chappy is on his 3rd plaster on his blistered finger

You do all realise that we'll be playing a team who also haven't played competitively since May? It sounds like only our players have been on the beers and pies whilst everyone else has been playing.

bluesince76 said:
You do all realise that we'll be playing a team who also haven't played competitively since May? It sounds like only our players have been on the beers and pies whilst everyone else has been playing.

I think everyone is much more concerned about our tough start to the Premiership season and not having any of our potential first choice CB's fit.. The rest of the side is fine as we have a great squad with some players looking really sharp in pre-season. I'm sure Pellegrini is just as eager to get this done so we can get our defence ready for some big games early on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.