Eliaquim Mangala - now official

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Eliaquim Mangala

Been away last few weeks, (in the big house), who is the guy and how fuckin much? Glad this didn't happen.

blueparrot said:
dan.j.mcfc said:
Bottomless_Sailor said:
Who said they have idiotic owners? The owners aren't football men, they put their trust and money into people to take care of that side for them. And those people at PSG still have that scattergun approach that we had before our owners put Txiki/Soriano in charge of their money.

Of course they can't be helped by the fact that their president is such an arrogant media-whore, wouldn't be surprised if he interfered with matters.

So what are we saying here? PSG are doing something that we used to do, but now it's wrong and stupid? There seems to be an arrogance and ignorance among some of us. The only reason we have changed our approach is FFP, otherwise we would be bidding for the likes of Messi, Neymar, Ronaldo etc...every summer.

I don't get why we're trying to take the moral high ground over PSG, I think some of it is just sour grapes that they can spend bigger than we can.

I don't think we would be doing things much differently even without FFP. I think our owners want to build something with solid foundations and longer lasting. I'm not sure PSG have the same ambitions. The only difference FFP made was they had to get us into the top 4 before the doors slammed shut.

We will agree to disagree, it's funny really, because it's our club we're talking about, we naturally become defensive. If it was say Newcastle who had billionaire owners, we would all unanimously be labeling them the owners "play thing". Obviously he wants to build solid foundations and a lasting legacy, but for now, in the short term, if FFP didn't exist we would have bought or attempted to buy every top player in world football. Make no mistake, he wants the club to be number one in the world, the most successful, the most well known, the most "everything".....and without Uefa sticking their noses in, we would have seen many, many more Kaka type bids, as it is we're still spending, but much more wisely and cost effectively, and rather than signing the Messi's and Ronaldo's of the world, we're making our main investment in the future, through the Etihad campus. Lets never kid ourselves though, we are in a unique position, along with only a very few other clubs, we can spend 100 million plus one summer and completely write it off and do the same again 12 months later, we can in effect, "spend > until success"

dan.j.mcfc said:
blueparrot said:
dan.j.mcfc said:
So what are we saying here? PSG are doing something that we used to do, but now it's wrong and stupid? There seems to be an arrogance and ignorance among some of us. The only reason we have changed our approach is FFP, otherwise we would be bidding for the likes of Messi, Neymar, Ronaldo etc...every summer.

I don't get why we're trying to take the moral high ground over PSG, I think some of it is just sour grapes that they can spend bigger than we can.

So have we signed anyone yet?

I don't think we would be doing things much differently even without FFP. I think our owners want to build something with solid foundations and longer lasting. I'm not sure PSG have the same ambitions. The only difference FFP made was they had to get us into the top 4 before the doors slammed shut.

We will agree to disagree, it's funny really, because it's our club we're talking about, we naturally become defensive. If it was say Newcastle who had billionaire owners, we would all unanimously be labeling them the owners "play thing". Obviously he wants to build solid foundations and a lasting legacy, but for now, in the short term, if FFP didn't exist we would have bought or attempted to buy every top player in world football. Make no mistake, he wants the club to be number one in the world, the most successful, the most well known, the most "everything".....and without Uefa sticking their noses in, we would have seen many, many more Kaka type bids, as it is we're still spending, but much more wisely and cost effectively, and rather than signing the Messi's and Ronaldo's of the world, we're making our main investment in the future, through the Etihad campus. Lets never kid ourselves though, we are in a unique position, along with only a very few other clubs, we can spend 100 million plus one summer and completely write it off and do the same again 12 months later, we can in effect, "spend > until success"

80s Shorts said:
dan.j.mcfc said:
Bulldoglikeapproach said:
Under completely different management now from then, top to bottom. I think the Sheikh, Khaldoon, and Marwood are the only ones still here from then.

Still spending the same mans money, regardless of whoever he puts in place underneath him! Khaldoon still calls all the shots on behalf of his royal highness.

Are we seriously trying to take the moral high ground over PSG? Let me just remind you that Khaldoon gave the go-ahead for a £22 million pound move for Joleon Lescott.

Why are you slagging your own club and officials ?

Because I'm not a hypocrite nor do I bury my head in the sand. We got lucky and bought success, someone tell me I'm wrong. It's not a problem to me, it's the club I love, however we win trophies is fine with me, I'd argue after years of suffering we deserve this good fortune. You need money to compete and we have billions.

Anyway this is a transfer thread about Mangala, lets not turn this into a completely different topic.

dan.j.mcfc said:
Bottomless_Sailor said:
dan.j.mcfc said:
Not criticising anyone, I'm actually defending PSG. People claiming they have idiotic owners, who will go out and overpay for a player they potentially don't need, whereas we've done the same and yet they simply seem to forget that. Like I say it's not a criticism of our owner/chairman, it's their money, they want the best team, so they can spend it on who the hell they like, just like PSG can.
Who said they have idiotic owners? The owners aren't football men, they put their trust and money into people to take care of that side for them. And those people at PSG still have that scattergun approach that we had before our owners put Txiki/Soriano in charge of their money.

Of course they can't be helped by the fact that their president is such an arrogant media-whore, wouldn't be surprised if he interfered with matters.

You're the one who turned this into a conversation about "moral high ground", all I said was that PSG is not a club run by people who think particularly strategically about player recruitment, because it's not. If something shiny appears they'll snaffle. I look back on such things as our expensive mediocre-striker splurge a few years ago as you referenced, and cringe, in the same way that I look at PSG now.

Not bothered about players who don,t want to come.
Players can force the issue if they want.
These two made their choice.
No second chances as far as i,m concerned.
Move on ,plenty good players who would kill to join us.

80s Shorts said:
dan.j.mcfc said:
Bulldoglikeapproach said:
Under completely different management now from then, top to bottom. I think the Sheikh, Khaldoon, and Marwood are the only ones still here from then.

Still spending the same mans money, regardless of whoever he puts in place underneath him! Khaldoon still calls all the shots on behalf of his royal highness.

Are we seriously trying to take the moral high ground over PSG? Let me just remind you that Khaldoon gave the go-ahead for a £22 million pound move for Joleon Lescott.

He's a dick.

Bottomless_Sailor said:
dan.j.mcfc said:
Bottomless_Sailor said:

You're the one who turned this into a conversation about "moral high ground", all I said was that PSG is not a club run by people who think particularly strategically about player recruitment, because it's not. If something shiny appears they'll snaffle. I look back on such things as our expensive mediocre-striker splurge a few years ago as you referenced, and cringe, in the same way that I look at PSG now.

In that case I will apologise, I thought you were trying to make out that we weren't culpable of exactly the same thing.<br /><br />-- Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:08 pm --<br /><br />
Oohvonkyvonky said:
80s Shorts said:
dan.j.mcfc said:

He's a dick.

You're in denial.

dan.j.mcfc said:
80s Shorts said:
dan.j.mcfc said:

Because I'm not a hypocrite nor do I bury my head in the sand. We got lucky and bought success, someone tell me I'm wrong. It's not a problem to me, it's the club I love, however we win trophies is fine with me, I'd argue after years of suffering we deserve this good fortune. You need money to compete and we have billions.

Anyway this is a transfer thread about Mangala, lets not turn this into a completely different topic.

You're wrong. I distinctly remember David Beckham, Bald Bobby Ticket Tout, Shit on the Lou Macari and Gordon Over The Hill all telling me on Talkshite 5 years ago, that money couldn't buy success.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.