Elon Musk buys and ruins Twitter

Anyone with hundreds of thousands of followers who posts is, of course, a content creator by the very definition.
Go on the media thread, are you telling me some journos are "content creators" and other "influencers" given the tripe they come up with?

Anybody can obtain a blue tick, some think it means their opinion is of higher value than Joe Public's.

Yes. Of course. Have you banged your head?
You've missed my point completely. Why do they then need to be verified gratis when the "content" they provide isn't factually correct? Twitter are providing a free service to admin their profiles whilst the "content" they often provide is BS. Those with a blue tick often think their opinion is above everybody else's, its battle over self importance in addition to safety and paying a sub which I know is irrelevant.

We agree on a lot of things on here, on this one we disagree. My original post was an observation of the egotistical meltdown by some media personalities which was quite amusing.

You've missed my point completely. Why do they then need to be verified gratis when the "content" they provide isn't factually correct? Twitter are providing a free service to admin their profiles whilst the "content" they often provide is BS. Those with a blue tick often think their opinion is above everybody else's, its battle over self importance in addition to safety and paying a sub which I know is irrelevant.

We agree on a lot of things on here, on this one we disagree. My original post was an observation of the egotistical meltdown by some media personalities which was quite amusing.
Because being factually correct is neither here nor there for Twitter. Twitter makes its revenue by showing advertising to users on there. Those users are on there to read whatever tweets are posted by those that they follow.

If you are Joe Bloggs with 50 followers, you’re not helping Twitter make any money as no one is going on Twitter (and being shown those ads) to read your posts.

If you have 600,000 followers, your tweets are the content (be they good, bad or indifferent) that generates the ad revenue for Twitter. Exactly the same as YouTube (and not every big account on there is educational or truthful either - some of the most followed accounts are full of conspiracy theories and general bollocks) - but YouTube pays those creators per x-amount of views over a certain number.

The idea of a social media platform charging the very people that actually make it money is fucking stupid - as has been argued by minds far sharper than mine.

The whole purpose of the blue tick was so that you know the source you’re seeing post is that actual person or organisation. Now there are hundreds of people posing as people they’re not. And to what end? $20m per year in revenue for a company he paid paid $44bn for? It will only take 200 years to pay it off.

Because being factually correct is neither here nor there for Twitter. Twitter makes its revenue by showing advertising to users on there. Those users are on there to read whatever tweets are posted by those that they follow.

If you are Joe Bloggs with 50 followers, you’re not helping Twitter make any money as no one is going on Twitter (and being shown those ads) to read your posts.

If you have 600,000 followers, your tweets are the content (be they good, bad or indifferent) that generates the ad revenue for Twitter. Exactly the same as YouTube (and not every big account on there is educational or truthful either - some of the most followed accounts are full of conspiracy theories and general bollocks) - but YouTube pays those creators per x-amount of views over a certain number.

The idea of a social media platform charging the very people that actually make it money is fucking stupid - as has been argued by minds far sharper than mine.

The whole purpose of the blue tick was so that you know the source you’re seeing post is that actual person or organisation. Now there are hundreds of people posing as people they’re not. And to what end? $20m per year in revenue for a company he paid paid $44bn for? It will only take 200 years to pay it off.
2,200 years :)

I agree that notable users (especially existing media personalities/footballers/comedians/actors) with a large following attracting millions of views are fundamental to twitter's ad revenue.

I would argue that there are some folk on there who you would never have heard of if it wasn't for Twitter. The platform has opened up opportunities for these personalities, it's provided a large audience free of charge which has helped lead to employment with notable broadcasters and publishers. To then cry arse about losing a blue tick or paying a sub can be seen as petulant to some people.

Weird comparison but in other tech industries, if I'm a sole trader or work for a business where I want to sell a tangible product, I'm expected to pay for my product to be sold or listed on a platform (eg Amazon, Ebay, Etsy). In return, I've been given the exposure to a large customer base which could increase my sales and generate revnue. Is this model far different from a content creator paying a small fee to deliver their content to a large audience which would indirectly generate income / create opportunities?

The subscription sounds completely futile given the revenue it would attract. I'm not sticking up for Musk, I just think the attitude from SOME personalities has been quite self entitled.

These are all fairly new industries, is there a right/correct procedure of how content creators are managed? I don't know enough about SM platforms to comment. Appreciate YT adopts a different approach paying YTers wich attract a large volume views and subscribers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.