Elon Musk buys and ruins Twitter

Indeed but the police have proven that they can already regulate by prosecuting people for saying illegal things online so what's missing? There are people who want to go further and it's hard to know what that means? They certainly may mean regulating the views of the right but surely that has to also include those on the left? It means Just Stop oil for a start would be outlawed on Twitter given their sole purpose is to organise illegal events.

You have to ask did Keir Starmer call the BLM riots a violent act of the far left? Of course he didn't, he said nothing and by some words he actually cheered it on and even took the knee in servitude. There is a duplicity there so how could he for example be trusted to police subjective views on social media fairly?

This is where it gets hazy and we have to question if anybody could be trusted to regulate social media, so far the government absolutely cannot be responsible for that regulation because it picks its battles, so who is? I also agree that Musk shouldn't be doing what he's doing but he is so should we do something about it? My feeling is still no.
JSO are peacefully protesting and the only hatred they whip up is from the permanently angry about everything. It’s not akin to riling up a mob to attack religious buldings and racist attacks on people.

BLM was during Covid and hence why the police had different laws and rules to abide by. More should have been done to prosecute anyone that caused criminal damage or assault/affray.

If SM is being used to incite racism and violence, then it needs more regulations in those periods, imho.

I think the problem that this week has highlighted though is that you don't have to actually be on Twitter to be affected by the irresponsible way it is run. Me curating my social media feed doesn't stop Dave Dickhead down the street from being radicalized and joining a mob of other dickheads to tear up the neighbourhood.

It's kind of the same as arguments we had a while ago about newspapers and the "don't read them" advice. Even at its height, hardly anyone read the Daily Mail and even less read the Daily Express, and yet somehow, they have this incredible control over our public debate. This is partly because of the arrogance of the media, thinking that what other journalists are saying/writing about things is oh so important. If I was king, my first law would be the electric chair for any journalist who writes a news article where the only source is something someone said on Twitter.
Tough measure! What would be your punishment for an account sharing false information to whip up violence?

Err yeh ?

Ronaldo, Bieber, Lady Gaga etc - they have millions and millions of followers - if they quit Twitter then many users would follow.

Yeah but we're talking about you, finding it addictive, bollocks to what everybody else is doing.

Unless you follow Justin Bieber?

Yeah but we're talking about you, finding it addictive, bollocks to what everybody else is doing.

Unless you follow Justin Bieber?

I was talking about the wider public.

Getting celebs, football teams etc to boycott it would be the first step to bring down twitter and Musk.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.