Elon Musk buys and ruins Twitter

I was talking about the wider public.

Getting celebs, football teams etc to boycott it would be the first step to bring down twitter and Musk.
But so much of their ego (and income) is tied up in how many followers they have on there. That's why journalists and commentators that rail against Musk almost to a person have continued to post on there.

I have to use Twitter, sadly. It's the main recruiting platform for college sports over here. You literally have to have a Twitter handle for a lot of sports camps and showcases. I have a son who is vying for a D1 football spot in a couple of years (D1 is essentially the "Premier League" of college sports over here) and Twitter is where every athlete showcases their stats/reels etc. for colleges they are interested in. "Following" players and staff is where it's at, it's a huge networking tool. Head coaches have reached out with interest to my son via Twitter. It's literally essential, and all I use Twitter for. I really wish it didn't have the monopoly that it does in this area, but it's a necessary evil.

Last edited:
I was talking more about the wider public. It’s clear millions are addicted to Twitter and can’t be without it. That’s the problem and that’s why Musk can continue his right wing crusade.
I guess it takes the wider public to realise that the race riots in Southport and elsewhere are directly linked to twitter and therefore its up to everyone to decide if they are OK with using it. Many corporations won't advertise and some celebs are starting to pull their accounts.

People need to realise that staying on there is being part if the problem and coming off and going elsewhere for social media is part of the solution.

JSO are peacefully protesting and the only hatred they whip up is from the permanently angry about everything. It’s not akin to riling up a mob to attack religious buldings and racist attacks on people.

BLM was during Covid and hence why the police had different laws and rules to abide by. More should have been done to prosecute anyone that caused criminal damage or assault/affray.

If SM is being used to incite racism and violence, then it needs more regulations in those periods, imho.
JSO are not protesting peacefully, they're breaking the law. The vast majority of the public are against their protests. When you talk of them being peaceful then you clearly haven't considered the real victims of their protests, evidence of which was used in court to convict them.

One piece of public evidence given against JSO members in court was that one member of the public had an aggressive form of cancer and missed their cancer appointment, an appointment that could save their life. There are then the funerals, holidays and everything else delayed or missed, all at the expense of people breaking the law.

What would you expect to happen to a far right riot which resulted in the creation of similar victims with the same stories? You wouldn't demand leniency, you'd demand the opposite. Clearly the law cannot be applied differently just because you agree or disagree with a political point of view so it has to be applied equally.

And again this reinforces why I believe social media regulation is impossible. Not a single person could be trusted to enforce such regulation and especially not the government. For everything else the regulation already exists to prosecute people for posting hate or anything illegal online.

JSO are not protesting peacefully, they're breaking the law. The vast majority of the public are against their protests. When you talk of them being peaceful then you clearly haven't considered the real victims of their protests, evidence of which was used in court to convict them.

One piece of public evidence given against JSO members in court was that somebody with an aggressive form of cancer missed their cancer appointment, an appointment that could save their life. There are then the funerals, holidays and everything else delayed or missed, at the expense of people breaking the law.

What would you expect to happen to a far right riot which resulted in the creation of similar victims with the same stories? You wouldn't demand leniency, you'd demand the opposite so the law shouldn't be applied differently just because you agree or disagree with a political point of view.

And again this reinforces why I believe social media regulation is impossible. Not a single person could be trusted to enforce such regulation and especially not the government.
They’re breaking the law, but non-violently. The long jail terms were for repeat offenders on the totting up procedure. If these rioters repeat their actions upon release, I suspect they would get harsher sentences than the JSO ones.

The rioters also stopped emergency services getting through, but that’s not mentioned by the people that are silently racist. You just have to see the threads on here. The hypocrites are noticeably silent in the riot thread.

The rioters have been dealt with more leniently as they have been sentences for violent disorder, not rioting.

Regulation isn’t impossible, it just needs to look at each case individually and use precident, like with all regulation.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.