Emirates FA Cup Changes Ahead of 2024/25:

It was a bit of harmless fun taking the piss that their quad turned into two goalless finals won on pens.

But you really think City players and fans would be pathetic if they celebrated winning a major trophy on penalties?

I was actually there when we won one on penalties against Chelsea in the league cup final.

Lincoln are now a League One club, substantially thanks to their FA cup run in 2017 as a non-league club. That run funded a brand new training ground and facilities, jobs and investment in the community.

It probably wouldn’t have been possible without a replay in the third round against championship Ipswich.

Not only that, it can add a lot of magic to the cup for supporters. It wasn’t exactly broken. The top clubs lobbying for less fixtures should be directing their attention to UEFA and FIFA, not the oldest cup competition in the world. It’s heritage.

Lincoln are now a League One club, substantially thanks to their FA cup run in 2017 as a non-league club. That run funded a brand new training ground and facilities, jobs and investment in the community.

It probably wouldn’t have been possible without a replay in the third round against championship Ipswich.

Not only that, it can add a lot of magic to the cup for supporters. It wasn’t exactly broken. The top clubs lobbying for less fixtures should be directing their attention to UEFA and FIFA, not the oldest cup competition in the world. It’s heritage.

You can give examples like that and it’s great. Everyone loves a small club going on a big FA Cup run.

But in 20 years, they’ll be numerous examples of that happening where the run was probably only possible because of an early round shoot out victory.

Fairytale, money spinning cup runs aren’t reliant on replays. In fact, you could make a strong case that they will become more likely without them.

You can give examples like that and it’s great. Everyone loves a small club going on a big FA Cup run.

But in 20 years, they’ll be numerous examples of that happening where the run was probably only possible because of an early round shoot out victory.

Fairytale, money spinning cup runs aren’t reliant on replays. In fact, you could make a strong case that they will become more likely without them.
Disastrous own goal from the FA https://maidstoneunited.co.uk/2024/04/19/club-statement-revised-fa-cup-format/

Prefer to win any game not as a lottery, the scenario the poster I repliied to put forward is a devalued one, if every cup game became a choice for some teams to sit back and play for pens the games will soon become stale and as a spectacle poor.

And we cite as precedent Real Madrid for the second half of their match and extra time on Wednesday, 17th April, at the Etihad Stadium in the town of Manchester. I rest my case, m'lud.

I understand the nostalgia and affection for FA Cup replays but you can tell it was a competition founded during the Victorian-era. Instead of a governing body providing sustainable funding to all clubs under its stewardship, the bill is instead expected to be footed by the general public who provide charity to those at the bottom in a bid to stop them going under. So what we've ended up with is local clubs with large followings desperately hoping for replays and cup runs to get any kind of revenue stream going. That's evidently not suitable for the modern football landscape. Instead the FA should be protecting these clubs financially, regarding them as regional institutions, and keeping them up like they would if football stadiums were instead places of worship or National Trust areas. Why run semi-professional footballers into the ground with replay after replay after replay when you can ensure they play less football, have longer careers, and still make sure their employers don't go bust?

As fans I don't know anyone who doesn't prefer it settled on the day rather than incur additional costs mid week.

Scrapping replays is ridiculous.

IMO, all FA cup matches involving clubs from different divisions should be played at the ground of the 'lower' club, giving them home advantage, and financial benefit.

It's no dafter than scrapping replays.
Accrington Stanley drawn at Arsenal, they get their £40k share of the gate at home or £1m away?

Just seen Peps comments on it, if that was Klopp we’d be all calling him a wanker. He says it helps the schedule for the big clubs, but I can’t remember Peps City having that many replays over the years. The big clubs have no right to talk about the schedule when playing in the FA Cup. If they are that bothered about saving their players legs, play the kids.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.