Emmigrating to the US...

I didn't really see anything about my home town, Austin Texas. I've lived and worked all over the world, but have been in the US for 20 years. I lived in North Carolina, Georgia, Ohio, and travel to all the cities in the US frequently. I love it best here. I have to make pilgrimages back to see City every year, but it's got everything else. Great music, hills, lakes, golf, lots of economic opportunity, and diverse cultures.

It gets a bit hot in the summer, but that's what the lakes are for. Or get yourself a pool.

I disagree totally with the health care comment. Pocket a tenth of the savings on taxes, petrol, cars and houses and buy health insurance. You'll get the best care in the world. But you have to buy the insurance.

I've always had a stigma against Texas as being a bit backwards - bit old fashioned? Thats proably because i've onyl really seen it stereotyped on TV.

I don't mind hot; i like hot... Is Texas, more specifically Austin (Texas itself is around 4 UK's, i think?) somewhere i should be looking at?

Is it a vibrant busy city or more laid back?

GStar said:
I've always had a stigma against Texas as being a bit backwards - bit old fashioned? Thats proably because i've onyl really seen it stereotyped on TV.

I don't mind hot; i like hot... Is Texas, more specifically Austin (Texas itself is around 4 UK's, i think?) somewhere i should be looking at?

Is it a vibrant busy city or more laid back?

Austin is the only place I'd like to live in Texas. It's a university town (i.e. 70,000 students), with a vibrant downtown / youth / music culture. Sixth Street is like Bourbon Street but with rock guitar, not jazz. Vibrant, and tons of tech business (center of computer gaming, pc manufacturing, chip design world) but I wouldn't call it a "big" city. Less than 2 million.

There's definitely some cowboy culture, and rural / rancher mentality in Texas, but calling it "backwards" is harsh. Houston is the center of the oil world, the place that landed a spacecraft on the moon etc. Dallas is a seriously wealthy city. Showing up here and thinking you're advanced relative to the locals would be a mistake.

The girls do LOVE the English accent here :)

PM me if you want more info.

just move here...don't worry about the ifs and buts. once you're here you're a free agent..in twenty years no one has ever asked me if I was legal. the fact that you actually speak english will keep eveyone entertained, just do it...you'll never regret it

I think it really depends on your field. I've been asked for documentation for every job and every loan, especially since 9/11. Getting here is easy. Staying is easy. Getting white collar jobs is going to require a green card, and those aren't easy.

AustinBlue said:
I think it really depends on your field. I've been asked for documentation for every job and every loan, especially since 9/11. Getting here is easy. Staying is easy. Getting white collar jobs is going to require a green card, and those aren't easy.

How hard is it too get a green card then?

scottyboi said:
AustinBlue said:

I don't think Brits have access to the green card system, you need a special visa.

scottyboi said:
AustinBlue said:

Fucking hard! Tens of thousands of dollars and a 5 year wait for me. Worth it in the end, but I wouldnt want to relive those 5 years, they were shit! Not knowing if you would get approved, and knowing if you didnt you were out on your ear despite mortgages, cars etc!

GStar said:
Really stupid question but i thought the greencard was free?

Or was that money spent on things like rent, when you could have started a mortgage earlier etc?

Lawyers fees mate. There are application fees when it comes to the GC but the huge majority of the wonga was spent on a good lawyer who wouldnt fuck up the application. The one who actually got us the GC was my second lawyer, the first one nearly got us the boot, she was shite!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.