Emmigrating to the US...

By far one of the most educational and interesting topics ive ever read on bluemoon!!!
me an afew mates went to L.A for afew weeks in june and loved every minute of it. Went down 2 san diego, (which i didnt really like) for independance day, which was mint, and went to vegas for a bit. But i loved L.A, and would consider moving there in the future. So much to see an do, and vegas is only a 4 hour drive away!!

Top stuff. Not just ChicagoBlue and MCFCinUSA but everyone.

Think the idea of going out there for a few months and visiting a few places is something i'll be looking into, like people have said, the country is so diverse, theres going to be places ive not considered which i really should go and see.

So, its looking like (in no particular geographical order); LA, San Fran, Atlanta, Chicago, NYC, Seattle, Portland, Boston, San Diego, Denver... i'll look around see what other states/cities have to offer. Although as it stands, thats around three days per city, is that going to be enough/

Might be an idea to filter through the family tree, just in case i've a great great uncle/aunt who was part american/irish/Iraqi that would make things easier!

Anyway, opinions advice still welcome, this has been a great introduction/eye opener so far...

Good read this thread! Heres my tuppence for what its worth....

Came over in '99 on the J1 visa that Brucie mentioned...not sure if they still do the program or not tbh. Finished up my 18 months, came back to Britain and got a job in Kent...fooking hated every second of it. Luckily for me, stumbled upon a job in SC, and they agreed to sponsor my green card application. Problem is, I applied in '04 and it showed up this year, a painful 5 years of waiting in which we had no fooking idea if we would be approved or not. Now we are, we can legally live and work anywhere we want, but if you get pissed off with your job or are fired during that waiting period...you are fooked.

Good luck mate if you decide to go for it, but definitely look into the J1 visa angle (if possible) it will give you a nice little taste of working in the US, and if you are really lucky, the company who brings you out on the J might want to keep you around. It takes a lot of money and a lot of patience, and you still have to be braced for the big N.O. at all times....fookers dont make it easy in the slightest!

(unless you are illegal, then it seems like a piece of piss... >:( ....)

I wish I'd never bothered trying to help him out now TFC: I take his failure to consider the Carolinas an insult to us both ;-).

TFC said:

Came over in '99 on the J1 visa that Brucie mentioned...not sure if they still do the program or not tbh. Finished up my 18 months, came back to Britain and got a job in Kent...fooking hated every second of it. Luckily for me, stumbled upon a job in SC, and they agreed to sponsor my green card application. Problem is, I applied in '04 and it showed up this year, a painful 5 years of waiting in which we had no fooking idea if we would be approved or not. Now we are, we can legally live and work anywhere we want, but if you get pissed off with your job or are fired during that waiting period...you are fooked.

Good luck mate if you decide to go for it, but definitely look into the J1 visa angle (if possible) it will give you a nice little taste of working in the US, and if you are really lucky, the company who brings you out on the J might want to keep you around. It takes a lot of money and a lot of patience, and you still have to be braced for the big N.O. at all times....fookers dont make it easy in the slightest!

Cheers for the respone.

Whilst you were waiting did that mean you couldn't get a mortgage etc? How did you find your job in the US, whilst in the UK? I've been looking at a few myslef but have put off applying until i've got a bit of free time to decide how i'd attempt to "market myself" etc.

GStar said:
TFC said:

Cheers for the respone.

Whilst you were waiting did that mean you couldn't get a mortgage etc? How did you find your job in the US, whilst in the UK? I've been looking at a few myslef but have put off applying until i've got a bit of free time to decide how i'd attempt to "market myself" etc.

bump! :D

Sorry G, didnt realise you had asked me a question with your last post!

We ended up getting a mortgage in the end, but only after about 4 years of being here - thought "fuck it, we might as well" instead of keeping throwing dead money at rent. Long as you have a decent credit score, you can get a mortgage regardless of whether you are a citizen/legal etc.

As for the job itself, just stumbled across it on an industry website....wish I hadnt now, cos I'm still fooking stuck at it 7 years later....

;)

P.S. Whatever happened to Brucie? Havent seen him on here in ages.

TFC said:

We ended up getting a mortgage in the end, but only after about 4 years of being here - thought "fuck it, we might as well" instead of keeping throwing dead money at rent. Long as you have a decent credit score, you can get a mortgage regardless of whether you are a citizen/legal etc.

As for the job itself, just stumbled across it on an industry website....wish I hadnt now, cos I'm still fooking stuck at it 7 years later....

;)

Thats interesting, so you can get a mortgage without a green card... i've been told a few times just to get out there to see the place for myself and chances are something might present itself whilst i'm visting.

Hopefully, theres a chance i'll know a lot more about my options end of this month, so fingers crossed its good.

Not sure where Brucie is, i thoguht i'd seem him around Off Topic recently but not sure... perhaps he's still outside having a fag and a Whiskey!? ;)

GStar said:
TFC said:

;)

Thats interesting, so you can get a mortgage without a green card... i've been told a few times just to get out there to see the place for myself and chances are something might present itself whilst i'm visting.

Hopefully, theres a chance i'll know a lot more about my options end of this month, so fingers crossed its good.

Not sure where Brucie is, i thoguht i'd seem him around Off Topic recently but not sure... perhaps he's still outside having a fag and a Whiskey!? ;)

Getting the credit score is the kicker though mate, and it takes some time to build up to an acceptable level. Good luck!

:)

Health care, health care, health care. Unless you don't plan on ever being ill, or are extremely wealthy, don't even consider moving to the U.S. There are many more reasons but I won't bother as I don't want to offend any Yanks. I moved to Toronto in 1978 and It is by far the best City in North America. It is more similar to England than any other N.A city as far as the people are concerned. The one thing is the weather in the winter but we don't let it rule our lives, we go out and buy a big fucking truck and take control of the roads. Every winter I am off to Cuba, Mexico, Antigua, St. Lucia etc. and in the summer, it's off to sunny Manc for a pie and a pint and of course, a match. I can be on Varadero beach or Havanah in about 4-5 hours something my southern cousins can't do without coming here first (some democracy eh?). YOU WILL MISS CITY I must warn you of that, but it's only eight hours away and I have done it for a weekend on more than one occasion. Come to the great white north brother and bring us some Hollands puddings.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.