End of Barca era

Re: Barcelona

The game last night proved that every team needs Plan B. All the passing and possession doesnt mean the win at the end. If they had big guys to get at the end of crosses, like we have Mario and Edin, they would probably break Chelsea and score more goals. If they had Ibra that game would be over in London. Passing is not winning. Winning is heart, determination, team work and little luck. But congrats to Chelsea because they deserved it.

It just shows just how much of football is down to hard work, team effort and concentration. These attributes overcame the technical brilliance of Barca last night.

salfordblues said:
It just shows just how much of football is down to hard work, team effort and concentration. These attributes overcame the technical brilliance of Barca last night.

Exactly.

I think a few fans highly critical of our efforts to beat teams like Sunderland and WBA away should remember just how difficult it is to break down a team that park the bus

Even the best Barcelona failed. But the answer isn't to work on a Plan B, but to get better at what you are good at. 19 times out of 20 Barcelona would have gone through in that tie.

Barcelona's season has fallen apart in two weeks against Chelsea and Real Madrid, but they are the same team and players that 12 months ago were being heralded as the best ever. luck plays a part in football. Reminds me of Kompany's sending off in the FA Cup Final which knocked us out of both Cups with the League Cup semi 1st leg just 48 hours after playing with 10 men in a Derby. At crucial moments in a season, you need a bit of luck and that can make or break a team. It separates World Beaters from also-rans

The only thing they have done wrong is not to have an alternative to the injured David Villa.

BlueMoonoverUS said:
The game last night proved that every team needs Plan B. All the passing and possession doesnt mean the win at the end. If they had big guys to get at the end of crosses, like we have Mario and Edin, they would probably break Chelsea and score more goals. If they had Ibra that game would be over in London. Passing is not winning. Winning is heart, determination, team work and little luck. But congrats to Chelsea because they deserved it.

The passing game is all about retaining possession. If we have possession of the ball the opposition can't score. If the opposition can't score we can not be defeated and we are halfway to winning.

At times I admit we need to shake things up when attacking but that will come with time as the team progresses in its development. We just need to be patient, Mario and Dzeko were bought for that very reason. We've not found a way yet to get the best out of those type of players. I'm sure though during the off season Mancini will experiment a bit more to figure something out as now is not the time to experiment and try different things.

Matt the Giant said:
I think to some extent opponents have figured out a way to deal with Barcelona's tactics. Only good teams have the quality to do this and to get something out from the game as well, but lesser teams are at least closing the gap a bit.
I don't think Chelsea figured out a way to deal with Barcelona's tactics; they just got very, very lucky for the second game in a row. Barcelona could easily have scored 4 or 5 last night, just as they could easily have scored 4 or 5 in the first leg. It wasn't Chelsea's tactcis that prevented that, it was Barcelona's profligacy.

Had Chelsea shut out Barcelona completely and prevented them from having numerous goal-scoring opportunities over both games, I could accept that they had figured a way to stop them playing but they didn't.

This fixture could quite easily have ended 10-3 to Barcelona and the title of this thread would probably be something like "Are Barcelona even better than last year?"

Barcon said:
BezzMCFC said:
Jumanji said:

i have watched them several times this year in the champs league and in la liga and they are nothing special.

Yeah, but you'r saying you don't rate us. Obviously not going to go over well is it?

hahaha i just noticed what i put... no no i rate us :)

Dubai Blue said:
Matt the Giant said:
I think to some extent opponents have figured out a way to deal with Barcelona's tactics. Only good teams have the quality to do this and to get something out from the game as well, but lesser teams are at least closing the gap a bit.
I don't think Chelsea figured out a way to deal with Barcelona's tactics; they just got very, very lucky for the second game in a row. Barcelona could easily have scored 4 or 5 last night, just as they could easily have scored 4 or 5 in the first leg. It wasn't Chelsea's tactcis that prevented that, it was Barcelona's profligacy.

Had Chelsea shut out Barcelona completely and prevented them from having numerous goal-scoring opportunities over both games, I could accept that they had figured a way to stop them playing but they didn't.

This fixture could quite easily have ended 10-3 to Barcelona and the title of this thread would probably be something like "Are Barcelona even better than last year?"

Finally, some sense.

Whilst I still maintain the belief that Chelsea still defended brilliantly and through their efforts alone deserved to go through, just because Barca failed to put away more chances than they did doesn't mean they're in a crisis.

Just watch at the weekend when they'll probably spank 6 in.

Barca will probably win the CL again next year.

Classic 'Knee meets Jerk' situation going on in here.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.