End of Barca era

How are people so easily dismissing the lack of a true striker on the pitch for them. They have never had to rely on Messi so much. Whether it be Zlatan, Eto'o or Villa; Barca need a real striker. There's this idea that Tello, Sanchez, Pedro, Cuenca and co are true forwards but they are really just wide midfielders in the lone wide man role. Thiago and Cesc will fill nicely for Xavi. It's far from over.

A dip in form does not mean the end of Barca. Both Barca and Real Madrid will be around for a very long time.

Re: Barcelona

BezzMCFC said:
Jumanji said:
BezzMCFC said:
I dont rate barca and i think we are just as good.
F off.

i have watched them several times this year in the champs league and in la liga and they are nothing special.

When Barca come good they are unbeatable, but they, like all footy teams, need the end product. Messi buggered up the pen, and their tippy-tappy, technically talented play had no end product. In matches like that you need someone who can take half a chance.

Chelsea are nothing like the team they used to be but Barca and Guardiola seemed, like City on some occasions this seasons, to be short of Plan B.

Jocks Y-Fronts said:
Watched them last night against Chelski. Hard to believe they battled to beat them with only 10 men, including no recognised central defender.
They seem to be all bark and no bite - lots of pretty passing but no killer touch. I know that they are a great team and have some world class players, but I was thinking that City at their best would give them a run for their money.
Us at our best against them at their best - how do you think we would do ?

There was a bit of a debate on here last week regarding the strength of La Liga when put against the Premiership , and this Chelsea win is definetly one in the eye for the one or two people that backed La Liga .......

it's a fantastic result for Chelsea , when most people would have backed Barcelona to turn it around ....... and i think , that after one or two previous disappointments , it's their turn to be crowned European Champions now.

Jocks Y-Fronts said:
Watched them last night against Chelski. Hard to believe they battled to beat them with only 10 men, including no recognised central defender.
They seem to be all bark and no bite - lots of pretty passing but no killer touch. I know that they are a great team and have some world class players, but I was thinking that City at their best would give them a run for their money.
Us at our best against them at their best - how do you think we would do ?

i'd back us against any team in world football.

Dubai Blue said:
Matt the Giant said:
I think to some extent opponents have figured out a way to deal with Barcelona's tactics. Only good teams have the quality to do this and to get something out from the game as well, but lesser teams are at least closing the gap a bit.
I don't think Chelsea figured out a way to deal with Barcelona's tactics; they just got very, very lucky for the second game in a row. Barcelona could easily have scored 4 or 5 last night, just as they could easily have scored 4 or 5 in the first leg. It wasn't Chelsea's tactcis that prevented that, it was Barcelona's profligacy.

Had Chelsea shut out Barcelona completely and prevented them from having numerous goal-scoring opportunities over both games, I could accept that they had figured a way to stop them playing but they didn't.

This fixture could quite easily have ended 10-3 to Barcelona and the title of this thread would probably be something like "Are Barcelona even better than last year?"

Had Messi scored that penalty that would of ended it. They have had a few injuries in particular David Villa, they've had to play with Messi in the much more striker type role and it doesn't fit him, Messi prefers to play deep or from the right and cut in but due to the loss of Villa they've had to rely on Sanchez to play in either role and especially recently they've just not been able to cut through defences. Had they of had Villa or any other decent striker they'd be walking it as usual.

For other people to say Xavi, Puyol etc are past it is ridiculous. I was at the Nou Camp against Getafe a couple of weeks ago and both were outstanding.

They are a very arrogant club.

Today Guardiola said that he watched the video last night and told his team that he couldn't see that they had done anything wrong.

They can not vary their play, that is a massive, glaring weakness. There was no backup plan against Chelsea and they should have had one.

Playing Tello (1st leg, on as a sub in 2nd) and Cuenca (2nd) in a game of this magnitude at this stage of their careers was a huge mistake by Pep, both had terrible games while Pedro was left on the bench even though lately there have been good signs of Pedro regaining his form.

I think I expressed myself poorly, as I was not trying to say Barca have lost it and that their time now is up.
It's just that I have noticed this year, that other teams seem to have closed the gap between them and the Catalans. Sure they still win the occasional game with four to six goals, but am I completely wrong to think opponents now seem to have figured out a way to play them, not to win but to limit the damage Barcelona can do?

And as for defenders, yes the are in dire need of at least one but preferably two. NOT because Pique and Puyol are crap, - but because them two are the only central defenders they have. Added sqaud depth surely must be a good thing for them.

As I said, I really look forward to seeing how they evolve into next season, which players they bring in and who they let go of. Of course they'll still be one of the best teams in the world next year as well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.