England - care less with a successful City?

Fuzzy Logic said:
I don't agree that people will suddenly become interested when England are in a major tournament. I understand why they are popular with fans of lower league clubs as they don't get to see big name players on a regular basis but i couldn't care less about international football.

Any team that picks rags will never get my support regardless of whether there are any city players in the team as well.
That's a bit of a stupid way of looking at it, that bottom part. If they had the best player in the world who happened to be English, (no Jones jokes!), and he did the business for England, how could you not be happy at that? He is an England player at that point, not a United one.

View never changed on England, media blow smoke up their asses big them up, even the "golden generation" weren't upto that much as a team, I watch now for city players, why Milner doesn't get a game I'll never know....

Jnr Kisby said:
I think the 'cant be arsed' attitude comes with the friendlies, much the same as club football. People become bothered with England when they are playing competitive matches in the Euros or the World Cup. Too many pointless games.

Speaking only for myself of course, I can't be arsed with international tournaments either. The whole England set up is Londoncentric and Ragcentric. Cleverley was drafted straight into the England squad after a single 20 minute sub appearance in the Community Shield. Phil Jones was never remotely under consideration during his time at Blackburn but, hey presto!, as soon as he joined the rags he was called up for the England squad. And so on.

Judging by the banners at internationals the fans that actually go to watch England play are often fans of lower league and non-league teams whose only chance of latching on to a 'glamour' side with 'glamour' players is to support England. Just check out the Bristol Rovers/City, Scunthorpe, Southend, Gillingham, Chelmsford, etc. banners at England games. I can't ever remember seeing a PL club banner at any of them.

It all goes back to the old question of which you'd prefer, England to win the World Cup or your club to win the league title. I can't imagine any committed football fan answering anything but the latter.

I find watching England frustrating. Every England manager says the same, 'I'll play the in-form players' and then play the same old shite even if they aren't playing well.

I'd love for us to the same approach as the Germans and plan for the future, getting the young lads playing together. But there is no way that the media over here would allow it, and the FA would give in and wreck it anyway.<br /><br />-- Thu May 30, 2013 8:40 am --<br /><br />... And I can't understand how Tom Cleverley is anywhere near the squad.

johnmc said:
Bluemoonie92 said:
I support them both, obviously would rather city win things than England but i really dont understand why anyone wouldnt support there national team. Says alot about this country really, the Irish tonight showed us how it should be.

Firstly there is a more diluted population than years gone by. Kids have parents or grandparents now with allegiances to other countries and it dampens the enthusiasm I would say. The country as a whole is less patriotic

Secondly the squad for a while has had several ***** in the team that people can't relate (maybe they always have but overexposed now). The likes of Ashley Cole who nearly crashed his car when only getting £60k a week, Rooney cheating on his pregnant wife, Terry at it with mates birds, Gerrard up for assault etc etc. Now if these players play fly your club then you support them. If they don't you think they are twats. You say you can't understand anyone not supporting England but I don't understand any city fan celebrating a Rooney goal or singing Rooney Rooney.

Thirdly the team have not won anything for what 50 years. That has to have some effect.

And lastly the promotion of the premier league has meant clubs have a higher profile. Champions league is almost the be all and end all. Club football is just far bigger now than it ever has been.

This, this, this. I don't get how any City fan (or Liverpool fan for that matter) can sing that name or that White Pele shit and not feel a bit sick afterwards.

When England play I do want them to win. I was born into supporting them just as I was born into supporting City, and when I was a kid we had players like Shearer, Fowler, McManaman, Owen, Campbell coming through, then we had the ultimately fruitless 'Golden Generation' but at least it was something to get half-excited about. Now it's just dull. Players like Glen Johnson, Ashley Young, Tom fucking Cleverley and Danny fucking Welbeck get picked for the squad simply based on who they play for just to satisfy the plastic hoardes. They are no better than the likes of Jarvis, Lambert, Holt, Nolan as has already been mentioned on this thread.

Add to that the day-tripping and armchair weapons who follow England, the type that think David Beckham is some kind of national treasure and should be knighted/have a statue/be Prime Minister/be King/be cloned. Those who think Scott Parker is some kind of saviour to the nation because he runs about a bit and throws himself all over the place and Gareth Barry is useless because he doesn't. The late midweek kick-offs that mean realistically no one who lives north of Wolverhampton can get to games unless they take time off work. The plastic support, the plastic flags, the wigs, the foam hands, the facepaint (grown men this!) and all that whoppery.

And that band. That fucking band.

laserblue said:
I really couldn't be arsed with England. My only interest is that City players don't get injured.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this time 10^^^^^^^^^^^

Solihull Samba Boys said:
johnmc said:
Bluemoonie92 said:
I support them both, obviously would rather city win things than England but i really dont understand why anyone wouldnt support there national team. Says alot about this country really, the Irish tonight showed us how it should be.

Firstly there is a more diluted population than years gone by. Kids have parents or grandparents now with allegiances to other countries and it dampens the enthusiasm I would say. The country as a whole is less patriotic

Secondly the squad for a while has had several ***** in the team that people can't relate (maybe they always have but overexposed now). The likes of Ashley Cole who nearly crashed his car when only getting £60k a week, Rooney cheating on his pregnant wife, Terry at it with mates birds, Gerrard up for assault etc etc. Now if these players play fly your club then you support them. If they don't you think they are twats. You say you can't understand anyone not supporting England but I don't understand any city fan celebrating a Rooney goal or singing Rooney Rooney.

Thirdly the team have not won anything for what 50 years. That has to have some effect.

And lastly the promotion of the premier league has meant clubs have a higher profile. Champions league is almost the be all and end all. Club football is just far bigger now than it ever has been.

This, this, this. I don't get how any City fan (or Liverpool fan for that matter) can sing that name or that White Pele shit and not feel a bit sick afterwards.

When England play I do want them to win. I was born into supporting them just as I was born into supporting City, and when I was a kid we had players like Shearer, Fowler, McManaman, Owen, Campbell coming through, then we had the ultimately fruitless 'Golden Generation' but at least it was something to get half-excited about. Now it's just dull. Players like Glen Johnson, Ashley Young, Tom fucking Cleverley and Danny fucking Welbeck get picked for the squad simply based on who they play for just to satisfy the plastic hoardes. They are no better than the likes of Jarvis, Lambert, Holt, Nolan as has already been mentioned on this thread.

Add to that the day-tripping and armchair weapons who follow England, the type that think David Beckham is some kind of national treasure and should be knighted/have a statue/be Prime Minister/be King/be cloned. Those who think Scott Parker is some kind of saviour to the nation because he runs about a bit and throws himself all over the place and Gareth Barry is useless because he doesn't. The late midweek kick-offs that mean realistically no one who lives north of Wolverhampton can get to games unless they take time off work. The plastic support, the plastic flags, the wigs, the foam hands, the facepaint (grown men this!) and all that whoppery.

And that band. That fucking band.
No one is saying to sing 'Rooney, Rooney'. Back in '98 when Scholes scored v Tunisia, (think it was them), in our first group game, the Crown in town, (where we watched it), erupted with joy. That was blues, reds, whoever. Nobody sang a Scholes song, but we all cheered because it was England we were watching, not United. What would you have done, remained silent until anyone but a non-United player scored? It's not about who scored it when it comes to England, it's just about England winning games. (Or it was when we had a shred of hope of being good in tournaments anyway).

The extent to my England support these days is checking the result, shaking my head and moving on. I would take the draws and losses if it showed progress, younger players or manager with new ideas.

Instead its just the same old tired egos for 90 minutes with no creativity. Kick out Woy, kick out the old guard because honestly I think they give about as much shit as any of us do these days.

Watching England is like banging your head against a brickwall.

Milner gets 3 minutes ?
4-4-2 ?
No legs in midfield ? i know, lets have Rodwell warming up for 20 minutes for fuck all.

For once in my life time can we have an England manager with any kind of adventure or tactical nouse ? Or is a flat 4-4-2 part of the contract ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.