England Squad - Euro 2024

Who are the left sided attackers?

Probably means Foden will have to play there instead of in the middle.

Foden is also world class out on left and means Bellingham can take attacking centre spot... not really the worst option is it?!

Bowen, Eze, Gordon can also play there

Foden is also world class out on left and means Bellingham can take attacking centre spot... not really the worst option is it?!

Bowen, Eze, Gordon can also play there

Depends. For a midtable level side it’s an ok set up.

An elite team plays Foden, Bellingham and Rice in the midfield to deliver the best midfield in international football.

That’s too offensive for Southgate though. It’s why he’ll never manage a top club and win trophies.

The England squad is jam-packed with talented players and Jack has had a poor season but under Southgate, one of England's biggest weaknesses is tempo control - getting stuck in turgid possession without penetration or allowing anxiety to drive everyone forward too fast without enough accuracy.

Jack is a feasible solution to both of those extremes because he's such a tidy and controlled player who knows how to apply sustained pressure and how to take the momentum away from an opponent.

If you choose the squad by listing every eligible player in order of how good their season's been then I'm not surprised that Jack doesn't make it. He's struggled for a number of reasons.

But if you look at what the squad needs, and what the other players provide, it feels silly not to take him. If he responds to the disappointment well then it'll probably end up being a good thing for him and City, but I think there'll be a point where England miss him.

On a connected note, it feels weird to me that these decisions are being made before the final friendly.

Depends. For a midtable level side it’s an ok set up.

An elite team plays Foden, Bellingham and Rice in the midfield to deliver the best midfield in international football.

That’s too offensive for Southgate though. It’s why he’ll never manage a top club and win trophies.

It could work with Eze, but he won't play him. Will 100% be Phil on the left, Bellingham for some reason given the number 10 because he thinks he's fucking Zidane. Saka on the right, Kane up top, Rice and Mainoo/Wharton/Gallagher in a double pivot. Pickford Shaw Stones
Walker Trent back 4. (He must be playing Walker Centre back if he's dropped Maguire.)

The England squad is jam-packed with talented players and Jack has had a poor season but under Southgate, one of England's biggest weaknesses is tempo control - getting stuck in turgid possession without penetration or allowing anxiety to drive everyone forward too fast without enough accuracy.

Jack is a feasible solution to both of those extremes because he's such a tidy and controlled player who knows how to apply sustained pressure and how to take the momentum away from an opponent.

If you choose the squad by listing every eligible player in order of how good their season's been then I'm not surprised that Jack doesn't make it. He's struggled for a number of reasons.

But if you look at what the squad needs, and what the other players provide, it feels silly not to take him. If he responds to the disappointment well then it'll probably end up being a good thing for him and City, but I think there'll be a point where England miss him.

On a connected note, it feels weird to me that these decisions are being made before the final friendly.
I guess the ones not going wouldn’t have been on the bench tomorrow. With only Lord Jude missing, we’d have had 21 players on the bench.

I also guess that Eze showed signs that he can dictate the tempo like Grealish can (albeit not as well in my opinion), so maybe that’s why Grealish became 3rd choice left wing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.