England Thread - 2023/24

For someone who is supposed to excel in the PR and diplomatic role, Southgate has dropped a major bollock with his latest Foden comment.
This good news is that it finally outs him as a total clueless fuckwit.

Who actually claims that he excels in PR and diplomatic role ? I have never seen any evidence of those credentials being displayed by the bloody plank .

Every interview he gives is bland shite that any half decent teacher or public servant could deliver. He is never asked awkward questions, because I suspect that the FA insist on vetting the content beforehand.

I would describe him as totally bland and robotic , which probably explains why his teams are so bloody dour, methodical and boring to watch.

Imo he needs to put out of the misery he causes to a multitude of football supporters rather than keeping the redshirt and old boy's clubs happy.

C'mon FA do something fucking positive for once and get rid of this pathetic substitute for a football coach/manager.

Beware low flying pigs :)

Last edited:
The setup against Ukraine was utterly bizarre. Seemed to play Maddison and Saka as inside forwards, with Walker and Chilwell as our width.

All this did is have us have 6 players all centrally, but with no pattern of play.

Asking Henderson to play the advanced 8 role when Foden is on the bench is borderline criminal.

Having said that, Southgate obviously either planned that or couldn’t see that that’s what his selection created. Then he brought Foden on and he was anonymous as we had no control of the game.
Plus, he didn't get much ball as no-one passed it his way. He gets in between the lines asking for the ball....... and it goes backwards or sideways. That would be the main reason we rarely score many goals, and Kane has to drop too deep to look for the ball.

View attachment 93165

This was the team that knocked England out. You seriously don’t think England have stronger players than this.

There’s also no way Southgate would have selected Griezmann to play that role if he was in the other dug out.

Lloris = Pickford

Walker > Koundé
Stones > Varane
Maguire = Upamecano (both shite, better players on bench for both sides)
Hernandez < Shaw

Bellingham > Tchouameni
Rice > Rabiot
Griezmann = Foden (debatable)
M'bappe >>>> Dinner Lady
Saka > Dembele
Kane >>> Giroud

I'm being kind to France aswell

Fwiw I think Deschamps is a fucking terrible manager anyway but "just fucking give it to M'bappe is a pretty solid tactic at international level.

Fwiw I think Deschamps is a fucking terrible manager anyway but "just fucking give it to M'bappe is a pretty solid tactic at international level.
It’s basically the only tactic (except with Haaland) that gives Norway any chance of winning matches at present.

I think one of the problems is that Southgate is under the delusion that Kane is that player for England, so everything needs to be setup to provide for him.

The issue is, Kane is not remotely as dynamic as Haaland or Mbappe at the international level, especially when you play with 7 defensive players behind him, so it is much easier to isolate and frustrate him, forcing him back to desperately get the ball, leading to him passing forward to one of the subpar wingers Southgate insists on starting as they “can really defend from the front”, and them then having no one in the box to create chances for.

Rinse, repeat.

Every now and then it leads to a goal, mostly when a City player arrives to provide a moment of individual brilliance. But most of the time it just sees him pass the wing, then try to shuffle forward in the way only Kane can, with one of the wingers trying to beat his man, most often losing the ball or playing a cross to absolutely no one in the six yard box, before the entire team drops back in to the Southgate 8 PM bus route formation.

Playing Foden behind him, in place of one fewer defender would free Kane up to actually get on the end of passes in the box AND participate in the build up (often with Foden) right in front of the opposition goal.

If Southgate is worried about Foden losing the ball on the edge of the opposition box and the counters that will ensue, surely picking 6 players behind the front four instructed to defend at all costs is sufficient to deal with that scenario.

It’s basically the only tactic (except with Haaland) that gives Norway any chance of winning matches at present.

I think one of the problems is that Southgate is under the delusion that Kane is that player for England, so everything needs to be setup to provide for him.

The issue is, Kane is not remotely as dynamic as Haaland or Mbappe at the international level, especially when you play with 7 defensive players behind him, so it is much easier to isolate and frustrate him, forcing him back to desperately get the ball, leading to him passing forward to one of the subpar wingers Southgate insists on starting as they “can really defend from the front”, and them then having no one in the box to create chances for.

Rinse, repeat.

Every now and then it leads to a goal, mostly when a City player arrives to provide a moment of individual brilliance. But most of the time it just sees him pass the wing, then try to shuffle forward in the way only Kane can, with one of the wingers trying to beat his man, most often losing the ball or playing a cross to absolutely no one in the six yard box, before the entire team drops back in to the Southgate 8 PM bus route formation.

Playing Foden behind him, in place of one fewer defender would free Kane up to actually get on the end of passes in the box AND participate in the build up (often with Foden) right in front of the opposition goal.

If Southgate is worried about Foden losing the ball on the edge of the opposition box and the counters that will ensue, surely picking 6 players behind the front four instructed to defend at all costs is sufficient to deal with that scenario.

I agree with you there 100% the way he picks the team just reeks of a man who doesn't actually understand his own tactics. He's told Kane to drop deep and be involved in the build up, but no player seems to have the job of taking up Kane's position when he does drop deep, so we get a bunch of players all falling over eachother in the opposition half with no outlet. Its infuriating watching the bloke bullshit his way through press conferences, he doesn't have a clue.

Southgate is fast becoming top of my knobhead list and that takes some doing !

I'm not a violent man but if I ever met southgate I'll have a right go at the twat. He is fucking clueless Phil is clearly the best if his generation.
Who did Pep turn to to play in the middle in our most important game. Phil yes southgate Phil Foden replaced KDB in centre midfield in the CL final.

My dislike of southgate is growing by the day, he is a spineless fa fucking yes man. He shouldn't be allowed to coach any City players
Southgate, ‘[Foden] doesn’t play centrally for his club’…

Yet he played there in the CL final, in the Super Cup and against Newcastle at home. That’s our biggest three games in our last seven.

He’s literally just played Maddison out of position and picked Maguire who in the last year hasn’t played any position because United don’t pick him, they even pick left back Shaw ahead of Maguire at centre back.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.