England Thread - 2023/24

While the waistcoat has been in charge.. the 3 meaningful games we have had against Croatia,Italy and France we lost the lot.All the other teams in qualifying and tournaments you would expect any manager to be able to field a side to beat them.Absolute joke of a manager even boro would not have him back.
Yet our previous manager managed to lose to Costa Rica and Iceland.

Southgate is dull. I think we all can agree on that. English expectation is and has always been too high though.

It is difficult to see any plus points Southgate might have banked since he started the England job. The man has been in charge for a good 6-7 years or so and has had some very good players to choose from in that time, but his reliance on safety-first football has seriously damaged his stock amongst most football fans.

To start with it would seem he doesn't like Phil. I don't think that's a personal thing, Southgate just seems ill-at-ease with any player showing signs of creativity. He seems to prefer stodgy, unadventurous types like Henderson, a player who would far rather hoof the ball out to the advertising hoardings than try a forward pass. Yet Southgate seems to love him. Henderson has won most of his caps under the yes-man, I think. Yet Bingo didn't appear to put up much of a fight to retain his services once the Saudi's came knocking, which tells us all something.

I believe that since Southgate took the England job spectator interest has dwindled. Over the years fans have just had enough of his stagnant, lifeless, coma-inducing football and want a change. They, like us, have become spoiled by Pep and his stylish, free-flowing football. They want to see the game being played the way it should be played, but under 'Inertia Southgate' they/we are going to be disappointed.

El Tel! I liked him alot, top guy, top manager. Hard to evaluate too much as he only had 1 tournament, but let's pretend Social Media/Forums was around back then.

Upon his appointment -

'Typical FA yes man'
'He won't win us anything'
'The guy is a serious crook and a fraud'

Euro 96 -
(No boring qualifying matches as we were host nation so avoids loads of pre tournament scrutiny)

'players all on the piss up - why is Venables allowing this? hope these cunts lose '
'shows he has no control over players'

England 1-1 Switzeland

'
fuckin drab load of bollocks'
'boring as fuck'
'Gazza still probably pissed'
'Clearly doesn't know how to use this lot '
'took off Gazza for David Platt, when we're trying to win! guys a joke'

Scotland 0-2 England

'
Southgate starting in midfield! he's clueless'
'Worst Scotland team ever, we should be comfortably beating these'
'yeh we won, but it was only Scotland, calm down'

England 4-1 Holland

'about time they put in performance'
'fair play, we played alright, still want that **** out'
'4-4-2 worked today but that isn't going to win us a trophy'

England 0-0 Spain

'load of shit'
'how boring was that?!'
'scrappy shite, we need a manager that goes for it'
'lucky to win on pens, we'll be found out next game'

England 1-1 Germany (lose on pens)

'
guys a fraud'
'why did he not bring on any subs?! ffs'
'we were shit'
'why not put Fowler on for Sheringham who's

You have to be a virgin

El Tel! I liked him alot, top guy, top manager. Hard to evaluate too much as he only had 1 tournament, but let's pretend Social Media/Forums was around back then.

Upon his appointment -

'Typical FA yes man'
'He won't win us anything'
'The guy is a serious crook and a fraud'

Euro 96 -
(No boring qualifying matches as we were host nation so avoids loads of pre tournament scrutiny)

'players all on the piss up - why is Venables allowing this? hope these cunts lose '
'shows he has no control over players'

England 1-1 Switzeland

'
fuckin drab load of bollocks'
'boring as fuck'
'Gazza still probably pissed'
'Clearly doesn't know how to use this lot '
'took off Gazza for David Platt, when we're trying to win! guys a joke'

Scotland 0-2 England

'
Southgate starting in midfield! he's clueless'
'Worst Scotland team ever, we should be comfortably beating these'
'yeh we won, but it was only Scotland, calm down'

England 4-1 Holland

'about time they put in performance'
'fair play, we played alright, still want that **** out'
'4-4-2 worked today but that isn't going to win us a trophy'

England 0-0 Spain

'load of shit'
'how boring was that?!'
'scrappy shite, we need a manager that goes for it'
'lucky to win on pens, we'll be found out next game'

England 1-1 Germany (lose on pens)

'
guys a fraud'
'why did he not bring on any subs?! ffs'
'we were shit'
'why not put Fowler on for Sheringham who's done fuck all ?!'

All England managers that I can remember after Ramsey got the shit from the press, any glimmer of a chance of winning anything is met by people who just don't like England, and I don't just mean the team.

Yet our previous manager managed to lose to Costa Rica and Iceland.

Southgate is dull. I think we all can agree on that. English expectation is and has always been too high though.
It don't help with all this "England Expects...... [every man to do his duty]" codswallop every two years though. Makes expectations in the public opinion go sky high.

I struggle to think of any other country, who's national media hype their national team to the hilt like ours do.

Costa Rica was a 0-0 draw, but I get what you mean. England were already out by then and it was a game so dull and uneventful, it's easy to forget the result and think England lost that one as well.

It don't help with all this "England Expects...... [every man to do his duty]" codswallop every two years though. Makes expectations in the public opinion go sky high.

I struggle to think of any other country, who's national media hype their national team to the hilt like ours do.

Costa Rica was a 0-0 draw, but I get what you mean. England were already out by then and it was a game so dull and uneventful, it's easy to forget the result and think England lost that one as well.
Our media “Build them up to knock them down” is decades old.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.