England v Bosnia & Herzegovina | Mon 3rd June, 19:45 | Friendly

Never gonna happen but I'd love to see this team start the first game.

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Guhei
Gomez

Rice
Foden
Eze

Palmer
Kane
Gordon

11 players all giving everything leave the show ponies on the bench.

These games are to sharpen the players up for the tournament, test systems and tactics and look at refining the squad. Not an easy task, but looking into performance and results when so many starters are out is unfair.

When it comes to cutting 7 out, Trafford is one and I would add Guehi based on yesterday. Jones is a likely omission, but Wharton looked very comfortable and I thought he might get axed.

I still believe Watkins gets the chop. He doesn't suit out style and doesn't take pens. Toney will go as Kane's backup.

Total punt but Quansah, Shaw and Bowen the other cuts. Shaw hasn't been fit in years, can't see him making it.
With you on the Watkins call.
Toney always has a certain inevitability about him. Chances will be made and often finished.
Plus another excellent pen taker. I mean, how many times...?

Never gonna happen but I'd love to see this team start the first game.

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Guhei
Gomez

Rice
Foden
Eze

Palmer
Kane
Gordon

11 players all giving everything leave the show ponies on the bench.
Gordon over Grealish who I presume you think is a “show pony”?

Riiiiiight.

With you on the Watkins call.
Toney always has a certain inevitability about him. Chances will be made and often finished.
Plus another excellent pen taker. I mean, how many times...?

We know Kane will play the full match in case we need a goal or it goes to penalties. So it's about who you bring on with him, and it's more likely we'll change the wingers/attacking midfielders than bring Watkins on. If Kane is injured Watkins hasn't shown he can play the same way. He doesn't hold the ball up as well either to help see a game out. Toney is the logical second option to cover Kane or to throw on to take a penalty.

For once, we look like we have decent options for penalties. Kane, Toney, Palmer, Saka all take them regularly. Foden and Bellingham scored in the shootout between City and Real. Walker and Grealish against Sevilla. Trippier's taken them in shootouts for England before.

Fuck it, let's play for penalties!

Highlights the problem, everyone has different players/tactics and when the Manager doesn't pick who they want they think he is shit.

Of course, and that's how it will always be. We all want England to play an attack minded formation that blows the opposition away, but when it doesn't everyone will jump on Southgate for not having the tactical nous to manage effectively.

It's not worth wasting your time on the keyboard managers. You can see from the BBC Sport feed this morning the completely polarised opinions on last night, certain players and England in general. I saw someone say it was stupid to risk the likes of Kane in a meaningless friendly, when it's obvious we have to build a level of fitness across the group and look at different options - and only about 3 players who might start in a "first 11" actually got on the pitch last night.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.