England v Denmark | Euro 2020 Semi Final

What will the result be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's generally recognised that football started in England but International football and the pre cursor to the World Cup was the Thomas Lipton Trophy held in Turin in 1909 and 1911, West Auckland won it twice and Dennis Waterman was in the team, obviously in the drama, lighten up ffs.
So its come home then.

it was knee to knee contact,if you watch in slow motion Sterlings right foot trails over the defenders foot with no contact,the ball is going into a non recoverable position and at the same time the defenders knee impacts with sterlings knee,IMO sterling was going down without the knee contact 'looking for a pen' and the ref has given it due to the knee contact, nothing to do with hip,have a look see what you think
I've just looked again, maybe I wasn't clear. Firstly, I said I don't think it was enough for a pen but he didn't dive.

Secondly, there was contact from two players to my eyes.

There is contact with the hip from the second player and this is when Sterling is already on the way down.

Sterling5.png

Before that though, Sterling shifted his weight onto his left and then onto his right, to weave his way through. As he knocked the ball on and shifted his momentum onto his right watch number 5 for Denmark, notice the moment he puts his leg out and look where the ball is.
Sterling2.png
Above you can see, Sterling has knocked the ball on, he is not off balance/on the way down, the ball is passed the defenders foot and his leg is outstretched in front of Sterling.

Is that an attempt to play the ball or is it an attempt to stop Sterling who is rapid from attempting to run onto his knock on? You said it was non recoverable but if he wasn't knocked off balance I wouldn't bet against Sterling getting onto that even if it was a heavy touch and maybe the defender thought the same.

Sterling3.png
A couple of fames on and Sterling is still not on his way down, but he's got nowhere to go, being sandwiched from both sides neither defender playing for the ball. He's going to have to either run into the defender's outstretched leg or try and avoid it, which he does try to do IMO.

Sterling4.png

He's tried to avoid the contact and but it's still been made, which is what puts him off balance and then the other defender makes contact with the hip but he was already on the way down. That's what I thought people were referring to(as already on the way down) because it's the only one that makes sense.

It is a soft one because there wasn't much contact but it wasn't a dive, to me Sterling could have took more advantage of the outstretched leg if he wanted to but he tried to get past it.

BTW the "cheating bastard diver" earlier was tongue in cheek. Sterling gets too much of that and it's led to refs waving play on for things that other teams have got a pen for in the same game against City. We don't need it from City fans too. Some penalties are too soft these days but if they're going to be given, they need to be consistent with it.

Last edited:
The final is in England. It’s coming home regardless
The 1996 Euro's were in England and I doubt any England fan thought football had "come home" having failed to win it. Coming home is s homage and hopeful mantra that England could win a major tournament as in 1966.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.