England v Slovakia - Sun 30th June, 17:00 | Euro 2024 Round of 16

Match Result Prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Say what you want about Southgate, but he really did mend bridges between team, fans and press. Very frustrating watching Bellingham and Kane destroy all that to protect their own egos.

There's been something I couldn't quite put my finger on and I think you've just nailed it. Whilst I think it's fairly natural (for me at least, and clearly more than a few on here) to push back against clearly sycophantic commentary and coverage of players who don't deserve it, in all other Southgate tournaments I've been more or less wholeheartedly in support of the team, because it felt like they were actually finally a fucking team. I even managed to support Luke Shaw (I might have often not had any nice things to say about Henderson, but no-one is perfect). I'll have had the odd woman and moan like anyone but on balance it all felt pretty good.

Bellingham feels like the antithesis to all of what was supposed to be Southgates strength. We've known he's not a top coach, so instead he focused his efforts into getting the whole country behind a group of players we could believe weren't just on loan from their clubs and forced to play together. Now he's thrown it all away at the alter of Bellingham, and we're not even getting the performances out of it in return. If he manages to take us all the way I will be the first to hold my hands up, but I would be amazed if that turns out to be the case.

There's been something I couldn't quite put my finger on and I think you've just nailed it. Whilst I think it's fairly natural (for me at least, and clearly more than a few on here) to push back against clearly sycophantic commentary and coverage of players who don't deserve it, in all other Southgate tournaments I've been more or less wholeheartedly in support of the team, because it felt like they were actually finally a fucking team. I even managed to support Luke Shaw (I might have often not had any nice things to say about Henderson, but no-one is perfect). I'll have had the odd woman and moan like anyone but on balance it all felt pretty good.

Bellingham feels like the antithesis to all of what was supposed to be Southgates strength. We've known he's not a top coach, so instead he focused his efforts into getting the whole country behind a group of players we could believe weren't just on loan from their clubs and forced to play together. Now he's thrown it all away at the alter of Bellingham, and we're not even getting the performances out of it in return. If he manages to take us all the way I will be the first to hold my hands up, but I would be amazed if that turns out to be the case.

It's hard to know if good feelings followed good(ish) runs, but it was the first time in my adult life that I'd felt fond of all the lads, put rivalries aside, and really felt like there were no egos. Just a decent but tactically naïve manager trying to get the best out of a bunch of down to earth lads who enjoyed playing for their country and whose hearts were all in the right place. Sentimental, nostalgic, but that's how it felt. Feels like the worse of the golden generation bullshit is back. Feels like we are a world cup away from WAGs leaking gossip out of the rival camps.

It's hard to know if good feelings followed good(ish) runs, but it was the first time in my adult life that I'd felt fond of all the lads, put rivalries aside, and really felt like there were no egos. Just a decent but tactically naïve manager trying to get the best out of a bunch of down to earth lads who enjoyed playing for their country and whose hearts were all in the right place. Sentimental, nostalgic, but that's how it felt. Feels like the worse of the golden generation bullshit is back. Feels like we are a world cup away from WAGs leaking gossip out of the rival camps.

Bang on again mate.

Funnily enough, as much as Southgate's not much of a functional thinker, he might have accidentally stumbled on the formation that will get England to the final in the last 10 mins of the Slovakia game.

Pickford
Walker, Stones, Konsa
Trippier, Bellingham, Rice, Shaw
Foden
Kane, Toney
Knew it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.