England v USA – Fri 25th Nov, 19:00 | Group B | World Cup 2022

Match Result Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The way this world Cup is playing out is just as expected.
Over optimism, underperformance, battling through, ride our luck, meet a big team, out on penalties.
I used to think we were unlucky, but it is so clockwork these days that I believe we are a footballing self full filing proficy.
We chart our path to failure by bad management of good resources.
On and on it will go.

The one thing that was even more annoying than the performance (if that's even possible) was Southgate's visible pleasure on his face in the interview pitch-side at the end. It's quite apparent he'd have snapped your hand off for a point before kick-off and just sums up his negative thought processes and mindset.
Genuinely believe he'd be happy enough to reach the semi-final again if it was offered to him before the tournament instead of actually going out and trying to win it.
His love for Mount, Sterling et al is mind boggling. I can't recall Mount ever performing in an England shirt but he seems to be undroppable and one of the first names on his team sheet. Phil represents everything Southgate doesn't want his side to be.... technical, with flair and a player that backs his own ability to take a risk.

This game was crying for Phil and Jack as starters and even Trent as he would have been pinging balls into the forwards. Southgate is useless we should have known that when he leaves Toney at home and not only takes Mount but plays him every game.

England has always had the players but lacked the manager. Today was like watching Stoke the way it was lined up. No intensity, no desire, no chance of anything coming home but injured players and excuses.

Then the clown has the cheek to say,

“A clean sheet is really pleasing!”

I hope people appreciate what a great manager we have in Pep now.

Mad really when you think about it, Robert Page faced USA not really knowing what to expect, yet had enough about him to change things against their pressing to get Wales back in it at half time, Southgate, who had prior knowledge of how they would set up (surely he must have watched their pressing in that game ?) failed to set up to combat that, and then failed a further 90 minutes of football to do anything positive about it.

Southgate’s a nice guy, and I’ve no problem with him on that score, and I’m sure many players will ‘run through brick walls’ for him, but his tactical intelligence and reading of a game is extremely poor, championship level at best for me.
Think that's doing Championship managers down. Look how Vinny has changed Burnley overnight, and how long has he been in the game. You've either got it or you haven't and for me Southgate has never had it and never will have.

Southgate was definitely caught out by the why didn't Foden play question by the itv interviewer, but I don't think it was the fact it was Foden not playing, think it was because it's the first time any interviewer has attacked his judgement so openly and quickly after a game. Usually he expects banal questions with no depth to them , this time he was asked directly why he didn't play Foden and he couldn't deal with it so spoke shite.

Think that's doing Championship managers down. Look how Vinny has changed Burnley overnight, and how long has he been in the game. You've either got it or you haven't and for me Southgate has never had it and never will have.
Not at all mate, certainly wasn’t intended that way, Vinny is “learning his trade”, much like Page did and many others, so it’s a good place to learn, the worlds his lobster.

Southgate I feel, Championship level is the pinnacle for him, not to be sniffed at, but a very very long way from being a sought after Premier League or International manager of a very high profile country.

In fairness, Pep leaves Foden out of the Premier League starting XI all the time. There's reason there to suggest that maybe he just has a bad attitude. I know it's sacrilege to say that to City fans. But that could also go a long way to explaining the long delay in contract extension.
The contract delay was mainly down to the death of Foden’s advisor. Phil asked for the talks to be put on hold.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.