England wasting one of the most talented squads ever assembled on Southgate

Just clocked that Palmer's in the squad. Was vaguely aware of it, but not really. Look, the lad's good, and he's doing quite well at Chelsea, and I'm pleased for him and everything. But Palmer in the squad, and Sterling not??!! Allow me to raise an eyebrow. Even two.

I don’t agree. Sterling has been good for the last couple of games. Prior to that he’s been average as anything. I’m not saying palmer should be in the squad either

I don’t agree. Sterling has been good for the last couple of games. Prior to that he’s been average as anything. I’m not saying palmer should be in the squad either

Then you've answered my question, and essentially agreed with it. Palmer himself has only been good the last two or three games. It's an aberration that he should be in the squad, and Sterling not. Neither should be. By the way, I myself haven't been watching Sterling enough, but I think you'll find that a number of Chelsea fans disagree with you in your assessment. It's not the point, though.

Southgate is a decidedly average coach , probs championship level
But …. England have a pretty piss poor squad really. Bar maybe 3 or so decent players
Mr Grey, Southsafe or whatever managed to create a "club" mentality amongst the players and the FA and media love him for his eloquence and the fact he makes qualification a breeze.

However, he has had the advantage of the best crop of talent ever to come through at once (imo) and the fact that nearly all of them are more comfortable on the ball due to Pep tactics rubbing off on the English game. We are short at centre back, left back and goalkeeping positions but it does not help he favours Maguire over other better centre halves.

Playing two holding midfielders to defend that position is unforgivable. But his in play game management is practically non existent and has cost this England side at least one trophy and two finals in the last 5 years!

Last edited:
Mr Grey, Southsafe or whatever managed to create a "club" mentality amongst the players and the FA and media love him for his eloquence and the fact he makes qualification a breeze.

However, he has had the advantage of the best crop of talent ever to come through at once (imo) and the fact that nearly all of them are more comfortable on the ball due to Pep tactics rubbing off on the English game. We are short at centre back, left back and goalkeeping positions but it does not help he favours Maguire over other better centre halves.

But playing two holding midfielders to defend that position is unforgivable. But his in play game management is practically non existent and has cost this England side at least one trophy and two finals in the last 5 years!
I always say england have got to a semi and a final DESPITE southgate, not because of

Heres a question … if they sacked him tomorrow , and you were in charge of finding a replacement … who would u get

Southgate is a decidedly average coach , probs championship level
But …. England have a pretty piss poor squad really. Bar maybe 3 or so decent players
First choice 11 is as good as anyone. The problem is who cares about shit meaningless games. That and a few dead wood players who should be dropped and it all looks very average.

Hendo, Rashford etc should be nowhere near the first team when a tournament roll round.

I always say england have got to a semi and a final DESPITE southgate, not because of

Heres a question … if they sacked him tomorrow , and you were in charge of finding a replacement … who would u get
That's the problem. There isn't that many realistic, and sensible (so no mentions of the likes of Pulis or Warnock, thank you) candidates. Particularly if the FA would want to appoint an English manager. You generally only sack a manager if you think you can improve on him with the available candidates. A couple of years ago, Potter might have been an option. His spell at Chelsea has probably put paid to that.

And yes; I'm aware CST is Welsh.

For me Potter or De Zerbi but even Howe has shown he can manage a game better.
I would say potter but also worry he would end up southgate #2.

Not sure likes of de zerbi , or pep, would be any good at international management in so much that they need constant, intense work with players to get them up to scratch. Not 3 days every few months

That's the problem. There isn't that many realistic, and sensible (so no mentions of the likes of Pulis or Warnock, thank you) candidates. Particularly if the FA would want to appoint an English manager. You generally only sack a manager if you think you can improve on him with the available candidates. A couple of years ago, Potter might have been an option. His spell at Chelsea has probably put paid to that.
Has southgate said hes going after the euros? Cant remember if that was confirmed

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.