Eric Garcia to Barcelona

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s average at best, despite how he’s being built up he isn’t top tier, coupled with the desperation in which Barca have tried to recruit, kind of points towards their restrictions, short and long term...

A massive global entity nobody can deny, but they have been run by ‘Trotters Independent Traders for the last 5 years, which they would of been able to navigate around if the current epidemic hadn’t materialised... poor business infrastructure is exposed in times of economic hardship, Barca are one of a number of the ‘blue chip’ clubs who will have a sustained period of levelling off for at least the next 5 years, that isn’t avoidable despite all the sugar coating!

Why don't you be honest yourself
If Barca was profitable at the moment and had say a billion in the bank (like say City ) would you be in for Garcia and be excited about getting him ......Nope
We probably only wanted him to stay so we could develop him a little more and turn a profit but that was not to be

I have only been honest, even if Barca had limitless finances like City, they'd always be in for a return of one of their own - particularly a blue chip prospect like Garcia

But having billions in the bank is no guarantee of footballing success, City have also benefitted from a management team made of Barca principles to shape the club. That is the difference, being mismanaged (By Bartomeu & Rosell) vs led (Like under Lapora) - fortunately it's a democratic club where new leadership can be voted in by members, even when they attempt to subvert that democracy like now

Finances are a mess but it will improve with true leadership/management because it still remains the highest revenue generating club in football. It helps that young talents across the globe still dream of one day wearing blaugrana, even if Leo were to ultimately depart

I am conparing them on a footballing basis.....you ahve said that people on here are saying that we dont want Garcia because we are bitter about the way he is leaving.....Im arguing that some of us dont want him on footballing reasons..

You are comparing them but again this was not the point of discussion. Eric made it clear as early as June 2020 that he was interested in a Barca return, Pep confirmed in the beginning of August (same time Ake was signed) that Garcia would not extend and Dias wasn't signed until the end of September. You can conclude from the chain of events that City had to go back into the market to reinforce because said player wanted to leave. Garcia, a player the club & Pep insisted was part of their future plans - so it's irrelevant how you compare them

City now have great depth in central defense so should have no reason to lament Eric's departure, I have never argued this

Calling someones interpritation juvenile again is provocational.....maybe you dont realise this but coming on stating things as fact when they arent is provocational....there are members on here that do the same thing and get called out for it as well so its not personal to you.

How is it an interpretation that Garcia will be coming for free, that is a fact - if facts are provocational, little will help you in that regard so yes I would describe it as juvenile. It's not presumptious or arrogant, simply a fact

I rarely hear any manager/chairman come out and say they want x or y to leave....it puts you in a weak bargaining position...Pep said the other day he wants Garcia to stay.....now he may but also its part of the bargaining tool....its no coincidence he has said that in the middle of the transfer window amid renewed media interest in the situation....What managers, chairman say to the press should be always viewed with a huge pinch of salt...Pep outright lies sometimes tot he press - its so obvious...all managers do it. If he says we have no interest inthe ald, he can leave we lose any bargaining position at all.

So your interpretation here is that Pep's comments for 2 years now have only been bargaining tactics - this from a coach who is precise in his language and never lies about his intentions. It's absolutely revisionism

I havent missed any point regarding Piquet - superb defender....but lots of very good players have come to the prem and not succeeded....jerome Boatang was another very good defender who struggled with us but went to Gernamny and flourished at Bayern.....nastajic played for us and while being decent went abroad and was instantly better off....look how Veron suffered when he went to utd....he was shocking, look at how pogba has suffered in the prem but was a world beater at Juve....(Jesus, there are even suggestions that Messi may strugle and for me he is the besst player that has ever lived...Im not suggesting he would btw)....Im not saying one league is better than another...Im saying that the physical requirements are different and this is why Dias is more suited to us than Garcia.....and again its very relevant to compare them as we are seeing the positives of not having Garcia in the team - proving that for footballing reasons this is a good move for us.

And vice versa, Otamendi was not a great defender in Spain but did great for City as did Zabaleta. Two of City's favorite players in its history are Silva & Aguero who were already both prolific in Spain before coming to City - it's a terrible narrative that has been disproven over & over again. More Spanish players play in the top leagues than English or others in Spain.

I am not suggesting Eric will have as great a future as Pique at Barca but merely underscoring the criticism directed at Gerard when he was at United and upon his sale back to Barca. It's a poor perspective to claim a player is not cut out for the Premiership when Pep continue to play the player despite 250M+ depth in central defense

I posted this just after the rumour came out in June, all of it is still applicable today

Last edited:
I have only been honest, even if Barca had limitless finances like City, they'd always be in for a return of one of their own - particularly a blue chip prospect like Garcia

But having billions in the bank is no guarantee of footballing success, City have also benefitted from a management team made of Barca principles to shape the club. That is the difference, being mismanaged (By Bartomeu & Rosell) vs led (Like under Lapora) - fortunately it's a democratic club where new leadership can be voted in by members, even when they attempt to subvert that democracy like now

Finances are a mess but it will improve with true leadership/management because it still remains the highest revenue generating club in football. It helps that young talents across the globe still dream of one day wearing blaugrana, even if Leo were to ultimately depart

Man City don’t have limitless finances.

You are comparing them but again this was not the point of discussion. Eric made it clear as early as June 2020 that he was interested in a Barca return, Pep confirmed in the beginning of August (same time Ake was signed) that Garcia would not extend and Dias wasn't signed until the end of September. You can conclude from the chain of events that City had to go back into the market to reinforce because said player wanted to leave. Garcia, a player the club & Pep insisted was part of their future plans - so it's irrelevant how you compare them

City now have great depth in central defense so should have no reason to lament Eric's departure, I have never argued this

Im glad we agree on the fact that we now have better strength in depth than when we relied on using Garcia....This confirms that we now have the better more suited player....thanks for clarifying that. It was part of the discussion as you said we were bitter about losing him.....Im saying we are not bitter about losing him as some of us dont rate him....where teh frustration lies is how we are losing him (ie going on a free - Im clearing this up for you as you maybe mistaken as to why some people are "fustrated/angry etc" as you have put it. Im also glad you confirm that Garcia has had some part in all of this starting in at least, as you say early June 2020 so he isnt the innocent person that he is made out to be...The time line you point out confirms nothing......we have needed a centre half to replace Kompany..Garcia was NEVER going to be that player -he isnt a leader (liek Dias is) nor witht eh style on the pitch to compliment that much required leadership style.....you also forget about Ottomendi leaving so we were always going to have to go back in for at least 2 centre halves (as many many people on here were suggesting) because we had a lack of quality there......we were constantly linked to many centre halves prior to Garcia teling the club he didnt want to stay.....including the following:

. Caglar Soyuncu

Dayot Upamecano

Lucas Hernandez

Kalidou Koulibaly - we were clearly after him at the same time as Ake and even before and after Ake was bought

Harry Maguire - we even bid for him. There were tenuous links to others...so if you think we were only after another centre half because Garcia was leaving then you are grealty mistaken...Our search for. centre half has been going on before Vincent Kompany left as e knew we had to replace him and probably ottomendi at the same time

How is it an interpretation that Garcia will be coming for free, that is a fact - if facts are provocational, little will help you in that regard so yes I would describe it as juvenile. It's not presumptious or arrogant, simply a fact - Again calling someone's opinion juvenile is provocational - can you not see that?...you may not agree with my points (which is absolutely fine) but first and foremost the way you do it is provocational.... stating a fact without explanation or consideration that there maybe even a small possibility of something else happening (even if remote) again is provocational....its opinonated....its fine to have opinions but not considering the opinions of others is a provocational act....one which I believe you are now fully aware of and therefore I can only conclude that you come on here to wind people up which is disappointing as you are clearly knowledgable and can achieve much more by open discussion.

So your interpretation here is that Pep's comments for 2 years now have only been bargaining tactics - this from a coach who is precise in his language and never lies about his intentions. It's absolutely revisionism- Pep says what he powers above and the media people tell him to say about certain subjects (not football tactics, how games went or will go/be played etc but about the "politics of football" he will be advised - thats why there are press officers etc on hand....its not just tactics from Pep - all coaches/managers do it....sayign we dont want a player two years ago would have reduced any chance even then of us getting a fee for him - its basic economics.....we could ask for 15 m for a player that clearly didnt want

And vice versa, Otamendi was not a great defender in Spain but did great for City as did Zabaleta. Two of City's favorite players in its history are Silva & Aguero who were already both prolific in Spain before coming to City - it's a terrible narrative that has been disproven over & over again. More Spanish players play in the top leagues than English or others in Spain. Ottomendi was an average centre half for us...he didnt do great. he was a commited player who lacked ability with the ball at his feet, and again lacked pace making many mistakes that costs goals and games - he was another "issue" in our defence. Im not sure what Silva and Aguero have got to do with this...they are world class players and with David he was before he came...same with Toure he did equally well. The point i was making was that "some" players do not succeed in all leagues....some do(Silva Kun Toure)...Garcia wont ever succeed in this league and as Ive said many times he may well succeed in Spain with Barca as its more suited to his style of play and his physicality.....It has nothing to do whether they are Spannish or not btw...Im not sure where that is coming from

I am not suggesting Eric will have as great a future as Pique at Barca but merely underscoring the criticism directed at Gerard when he was at United and upon his sale back to Barca. It's a poor perspective to claim a player is not cut out for the Premiership when Pep continue to play the player despite 250M+ depth in central defense - Pep hasnt played him that much - even prior to injury/illness - last season he played as we had little to no other option (Stones constantly injured/unavailable, Ferna unable to pay consistently at centre half, injuries to other key players) - Garcias lack of ability told last season for us....our defence was the weakest its ever been in recent years with him in it....especially with Otomendi and then Mendy at fullback as well - he lacked the experience and ability to pull it together....compare to Dias (as its a relevant comparrison ) who has made Stones a better player already...and also made Zinchenko at full back more comfortable and alloweed Pep to change his tactics with his fullbacks again...all down to Dias pulling the defence together. I have no doubt that Garcia will be a success at Barca (where he is as successful as Pique wont be down to souly him as well (he won tbe playing with a team with Xavi, Ineasta and potentially messi in it as well which Pique had - the 3 of the best players of all time )

I posted this just after the rumour came out in June, all of it is still applicable today

Eric.

Wish you were here.

16 degrees and sunny in Barcelona.

Live webcam view. Now.

0-FEBA35-D-9103-4-AD3-BFDE-FD8-AD7-B36103.png

PS. Never mind Eric, I wish I was in Barcelona.

Skeikh Mansour has billions in the bank. He is probably richer than Barcelona FC. He could buy Barcelona FC if it wasn’t a members club?

But!

Have you heard of UEFA‘s FFP, which Barcelona, along with the other European cartel clubs wanted implemented to stop any up and coming clubs from threatening their dominance and revenues?

FFP means a club can only spend what it generates itself on players. So the biggest and richest clubs always win and buy the best players. But those clubs can amass as much debt as they want with no penalties or punishment from UEFA. FFP is weird.

So regardless of Sheikh Mansour being a billionaire, he can no longer use his own wealth to buy players, namely Lionel Messi. Luckily for Barcelona.

How many more over £100mil players do Barca need? Our most expensive player would be your 8th...And how much money do you keep wasting on players that aren't good enough for you and end up at midtable premier league teams?. Wish we had Barca finances if anything.

Last edited:

He isn’t blue chip or anywhere near he is average and will be off on loan just like Brahim Dias
The difference being Real were respectful enough to pa6 his worth (circa 15 Million )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.