Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's he supposed to do? Make a wish and hope one pops out of a genie's bottle? Get The Goat to come down from the commentary box and stick a massive shirt on him? Sign up Billy Sharp in a free in January?

We've just won 17 out of 19 without a recognised striker and are top of the league. We are obviously going to buy a world class striker in the summer. You think he sat there in front of Txiki in the summer with his bottom lip out going "No no no no no no I will NOT have a striker in this squad!"?

Fucking "stubborn". Jesus christ almighty.
Stubbornness might not be the right word but they could arguably have been more pragmatic, and signed someone who is perhaps happy to be at City for a season or two once it was clear that Kane and Haaland weren’t available last summer.

It is a genuinely difficult one though and I’m torn between the two sides of the argument, as even though we’re doing well I do worry that we’ll need a striker towards the end of the season when we’re hunting a goal in tight games.

You obviously don’t want to sign a shit player just for the sake of it, and there aren’t many players who could have fit the bill. Arguably someone like Cavani would have helped us, although I thought Dzeko would have been a good signing for a season, and then I watched him against the Scousers last week and he was terrible.

What's he supposed to do? Make a wish and hope one pops out of a genie's bottle? Get The Goat to come down from the commentary box and stick a massive shirt on him? Sign up Billy Sharp in a free in January?

We've just won 17 out of 19 without a recognised striker and are top of the league. We are obviously going to buy a world class striker in the summer. You think he sat there in front of Txiki in the summer with his bottom lip out going "No no no no no no I will NOT have a striker in this squad!"?

Fucking "stubborn". Jesus christ almighty.
Yes agree how great and successful we have been of course. You know though when the margins get so tight in those key monents not having a kane or equivalent up front can be the difference of success. Hope im wrong but just as i moaned about signing a striker after palace game, Saturday again showed the same problem. Swinging the ball into the box with half a team 5"8 attacking mids I find frustrating tbh. How greedy have I become - yes but I want it ALL!

Yes agree how great and successful we have been of course. You know though when the margins get so tight in those key monents not having a kane or equivalent up front can be the difference of success. Hope im wrong but just as i moaned about signing a striker after palace game, Saturday again showed the same problem. Swinging the ball into the box with half a team 5"8 attacking mids I find frustrating tbh. How greedy have I become - yes but I want it ALL!
That's why we are in the market for Haaland and we tried to sign Kane. It's not Pep being "stubborn", it's the fact that world class strikers aren't available. If you buy substandard players just to fill a hole you end up like Man United.

Stubbornness might not be the right word but they could arguably have been more pragmatic, and signed someone who is perhaps happy to be at City for a season or two once it was clear that Kane and Haaland weren’t available last summer.

It is a genuinely difficult one though and I’m torn between the two sides of the argument, as even though we’re doing well I do worry that we’ll need a striker towards the end of the season when we’re hunting a goal in tight games.

You obviously don’t want to sign a shit player just for the sake of it, and there aren’t many players who could have fit the bill. Arguably someone like Cavani would have helped us, although I thought Dzeko would have been a good signing for a season, and then I watched him against the Scousers last week and he was terrible.
No. Rubbish. That's not how we operate. That's why Man United are where they are and we are where we are.

We only ever sign players who are absolutely top marque, in term of ability, potential and personality. We take the long term view, not the short term one. Cavani and Dzeko. For fuck's sake. What nonsense.

No. Rubbish. That's not how we operate. That's why Man United are where they are and we are where we are.

We only ever sign players who are absolutely top marque, in term of ability, potential and personality. We take the long term view, not the short term one. Cavani and Dzeko. For fuck's sake. What nonsense.
Ok thanks for the considered response.

Good post. You took a while to get there but answered your own question there beautifully.

Neither Cavani or Dzeko would have been of any use in this team. They both would have to work a lot harder and still manage to be in the right zone. The workrate would have left them with injuries, just look at how many games Cavani misses for the rags and he hardly moves in that forward line

If we had an option I am sure we would have used it but I still think Delap should have been on the last 10 mins on Saturday.

The mitigating factor against Delap at present is probably fitness as he has been injured most of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.