Etihad Atmosphere - 2021/22

Problem is not the two singing sections it's the fact that nobody else in the ground joins in.
It’s both.

The two singing sections can be singing two different songs at the same time so people don’t know which to join in with. Or, one or both of the singing sections get drowned out by the away fans and you can’t hear what to join in with. Or, neither singing section are singing at all so there’s nothing to join in with.

But you’re dead right, also, even when either singing section can be heard clearly, nowhere near enough people around the ground joins in with them.

Every single home ground in the country, bar absolutely none, have poor atmospheres at home. By the same token every club 'can' create a top atmosphere in one off games we are by no means the worst nor the best at this sometimes we can be ridiculously loud sometimes we can be shite.

12.30 kick off on a Saturday is never ever going to help, 3000 away fans have been on the piss for 4 hours whereas 2 hours before the game most of us lot were running round at our kids football desperately trying to throw a bacon butty down our necks before setting off to the game.

This season our away atmospheres have been great and our home ones nowhere near the worst, for anyone waffling on about the famous Anfield atmosphere you definitely didnt visit there in October (or most of our other recent visits) because they were absolutely shite and as much as they're loathe to admit it playing us at home is the game that has most bearing on how their season is going to go.
That’s not true. Wolves and Leeds have fantastic home atmospheres. Palace fans are dead annoying but they sing all game. West Ham are getting used to their new ground and have had their best atmosphere for years this season.

That’s not true. Wolves and Leeds have fantastic home atmospheres. Palace fans are dead annoying but they sing all game. West Ham are getting used to their new ground and have had their best atmosphere for years this season.
West Ham are having their best season in years though.
This is the first season back in the Premier League for Leeds in 18 years (with fans in attendance). Give it a few years and they’ll be like Stoke were after the novelty wore off for them.
Palace fans bang the fuck out of a drum for 90 minutes and remember that you don’t like drums!
I’ll grant you Wolves. They’ve got a decent atmosphere there usually but they’ve only been back up a few seasons.
I’d say Brentford have consistently been the best home fans this season but again, being in the Premier League is a huge novelty for them. Huddersfield were absolute quality that first season they were up in 17/18 with a huge ultras thing going on. The following season we went there, there was hardly a peep out of them!

@Psychedelic Casual gets it right about atmosphere: I think it's been better this year but it could be even better for some games. The problem is the location of the two singing ends and their inability to sing together when the away fans are loud. I know people go on about allocating the north stand as a singing area but that's not going to happen because it's a major upheaval.

A good atmosphere is when songs spread around the ground. Crowd psychology means that people around the stadium only join in if a song is loud enough and they don't feel stupid. I tell you now, from the top tier of the Colin Bell, when the SS level 3 sing a song it is loud as fuck and bounces round the stadium because it both bounces of the roof and spreads both ways fast.

A cheap, simple and almost fussless quick fix would be for the 1984 group to relocate up there. A couple of hundred of them would be enough to get songs going up there and the rest of the ground would follow suit. I know I've said this before and been told they want to do those "display" things but they aren't atmosphere and don't really matter.

I’ve thought of that before but at the opposite end of the ground for a cup match, just to see if it’s achievable to have noise from both ends. The difference would be off the scale.

There’s a couple of hundred singers in the top tier of SS3 though and most weeks it doesn’t carry, the vast majority just aren’t bothered, so sometimes I genuinely wonder if the psyche of our home support has just gone beyond repair. Lots of things have been tried but ultimately we’ve been in the same place atmosphere wise for many years, if anything it’s gone backwards.

Is there another stadium in the PL where the away fans are in-between 2 singing sections?

I‘ve taken a keen interest in the away fans in SSL1 this season. When both singing sections are singing and taking the piss out of the away fans mercilessly, the away fans either stand there in awe, or just look around the stadium, and listen to noise reverberating around it. Of course there will always be away fans giving it the big one and spending more time goading City fans throughout the match, regardless of their team losing.

Likewise, there have been home games this season where the atmosphere has been shit and the away fans have taken the piss out of the atmosphere and the lack of support.

It’s swings and roundabouts. It’s the same at every ground In the PL, every season.

It’s Leeds fans first real season in the PL. Big games. Sold out every match. I remember watching Leeds when they were shit. They couldn’t fill Elland Road, and the atmosphere was shite. But they do have a proper end behind the goal. And the other stands join in the singing.

As for Wolves, they‘ve got two proper ends, one behind each goal, full of ordinary fans. There are no corporate areas, expensive seats, restaurants, bars, and executive boxes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.