Etihad Atmosphere - 2022/23

Listened on the City website, came across pretty well, especially first half (later in the 2nd half understandably maybe not so much as it was 'done and dusted ' by then).
Another one not mentioned above was the Monaco home game in Peps first season, it was a great atmosphere that night , helped by a very good, exciting game. (less said about the 2nd leg the better ).
Bernardo (who was playing for Monaco that night) apparently said the atmosphere that night was one of the factors that helped in making up his mind about signing for us. There would have been other games obviously where he may have not been as impressed though!
One of the greatest ever City games that Monaco 5-3. Pure entertainment from both teams from start to finish, superb!

Can we all agree that Madrid have the worst atmosphere in Europe?

One wolly deafening everyone with a megaphone with another twatting a drum for 90 minutes. All to an audience of 70k tourists watching the game through their phones.

One wolly deafening everyone with a megaphone with another twatting a drum for 90 minutes. All to an audience of 70k tourists watching the game through their phones.
The atmosphere may not be great,but at least they have a full stadium to applaud the players at the end of the game,like Napoli did.So many of our fans disappear it is embarrassing!

Felt like the usual singing sections had the regulars in but this time the gap fillers in there were more inclined to join in rather than just film others which helped songs spread to the outer reaches of the usual singing sections making for a louder regular noise.

You won't ever see me waving my torch on my phone around like I'm at an olly murrs concert, however, its preferable to the family stand just doing nothing. Gets them engaged in the game at least and who knows maybe a few of them start singing off the back of it.

Not being drowned out by a constant drum aided us too.

We did have a really weird 10 minute period where we were on top, atmosphere was good we were going for the kill and some right berks in SS1 insisted on trying to sing old songs. I think I counted 7 songs in a row for players/managers that weren't even in the stadium. Mancini, pellegrini, balotelli,zab, Kompany, Aguero, Aguero Phil Jones, one after another. They tried very hard to kill a decent atmosphere. Thankfully I think we grabbed a few more goals to distract them and it didn't carry on afterwards.

^^ not once did ‘na na na naaa na na na naaa Ciiiiityyy’ get sung, nor ‘We love you City, we do…’.

Just as the atmosphere was building and the rest of the ground were on the brink of creating a cracking all-round atmosphere, those sort of chants would have been ideal to keep everyone going all around the stadium. But they didn’t appear and those ex-player chants and ‘follow’ in the first half and ‘everywhere’ in the second half sucked the life out of the rest of the ground.

While it would have been good if you were actually in the middle of the singing section (like an away section), the atmosphere around the ground was poor at those points.

Some of us did try and join in with the ‘follow’ and ‘everywhere’ kind of chants but most of our stadium aren’t interested in songs like that and to be fair they are also very hard to sing along to as chunks of singers in the singing section sporadically stop and start and stop singing at various points so the chants go dead quiet at times and you think they’ve stopped only for them to start up again… but you’ve lost the rest of the stadium by then.

If you want a good atmosphere at the Etihad, you have to get all the classics sung that all the stadium will join in with. As they have bigger longer notes that are blasted out and are easier to hear and join in with.

Why is that a problem.

Our roots are in Manchester but those roots spread if nurtured
Problem is most of them don't create an atmosphere which is what we're trying to improve and if this keeps happening which it will the atmosphere is only going to get worse

It's why I have found the fact that their ground is a fortress really strange - it's not a particularly intimidating place to play.

I'm not completely against people using the lights on their phones. Yes, it's a bit cringe, but it gets quieter fans more engaged with the atmosphere, so it has some benefits.

The kids in the family stand waving their scarves with their torches on actually looked really cool from SSL1... I'd had a fair bit to drink so that could be why.

I can imagine a full stadium bouncing, swinging scarves and torches out - would make an amazing spectacle.

the phone torches get the same sort of critics as the drum " i fkn hate them its like a concert".. When really fans engaging in the game is far better than sat about doing nothing.. Majority of fans waving torches are the young ones, they get carried away and enjoy it, then start singing before long. Dont see a problem at all with this.

when lights go out before the game, some of the smoke goes off, flags are waving and you see torches waved, etihad looks better than anything else in england for UCL games.

Im not a big fan of "the match day experience", im a supportter that went home tuesday with sore throat, sore hands, sore feet from standing on railings, but if we are going to sell out 60k seats it has to be something different that brings fans in instead of them going the old toilet in salford.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.