Etihad atmosphere

There are a number of factors and some have already been mentioned, but in general the atmosphere declines by club the further up the table you go.
It's shit at Arsenal and Chelsea for example. It might be rocking at West Brom but drops off once they concede. Villa was bouncing once they realised we were going to gift them a point (about 92nd minute).
The rags will sing a couple of nursery rhymes then go quiet unless they are winning in a derby, this has been rare in the past few seasons.
Anfield can be loud in short bursts; that Fields of Anfield Road dirge just after they score and that other fucking dirge once the points are sewn up. I get the impression more sing on the Kop than at other grounds but I'm usually 130 yards away.
I'm also unconvinced by us having two main singing groups either side of the visitors; not saying it's wrong though.
The North Stand should be a bit louder as it's supposed to be a family stand and I'd expect the kids to want to sing.
There is another possibility though: is the Etihad too comfortable? I'm not talking about padded seats etc, but the leg and elbow room means the fans are less squashed together and there is less of a group feel when celebrating. I'm not suggesting we want cattle class accommodation as at Goodison but it's certainly more lounge bar than tap room.

I thought the atmosphere yesterday was alright actually

So did I. We have our own atmosphere and if it doesn't suit the RagDipperMeedya hordes they can just fuck right off! We are City. Haven't noticed anyone having a game of cards yet!! Anyway, it wasn't Sergio who got the standing ovation yesterday and it was only a fifteen minutes cameo for us! Get in David Silva!!

Wasn't the best yesterday - think the weather played a part.

Please tell that guy who does the match build up with that Natalie never to chant city before the match ever again.

Makes us sound like a small, cheesy football club.

Fantastic crowd once again. Terrible weather - I was soaked in row 1, visiting team just brought two blocks and the only time they opened their mouths was when they kicked Aguero off the pitch.

Fantastic crowd once again. Terrible weather - I was soaked in row 1, visiting team just brought two blocks and the only time they opened their mouths was when they kicked Aguero off the pitch.

And they cheered that looping shot that went over Willy and landed behind the net. They all thought it was in, but our cheer was louder when we saw it bounce out the side!!

Maine road was not always rocking but with the Etihad I think there is a number of factors and Stony has nailed one ,another factor . is a lot of the older passionate fans don't go so much any more as an individual ticket is very expensive, there is plenty of gaps in some areas and it does not encourage you to be vocal if you have empty seats around you .at one time the players used to get a big cheer after the game but now a days many fans have gone long before the final whistle .I think in general the atmosphere is no better or worse than other grounds with newish stadiums ,a lot also has to do with the style of play and who the opposition is ,there are some fans who are making A great effort to improve the atmosphere ,I think in general it is a sign of the times
The only times there were empty seats were around the half and fulltime. Stopped raining at half time, but those who were in the front rows are probably still drying out now.

There are a number of factors and some have already been mentioned, but in general the atmosphere declines by club the further up the table you go.
It's shit at Arsenal and Chelsea for example. It might be rocking at West Brom but drops off once they concede. Villa was bouncing once they realised we were going to gift them a point (about 92nd minute).
The rags will sing a couple of nursery rhymes then go quiet unless they are winning in a derby, this has been rare in the past few seasons.
Anfield can be loud in short bursts; that Fields of Anfield Road dirge just after they score and that other fucking dirge once the points are sewn up. I get the impression more sing on the Kop than at other grounds but I'm usually 130 yards away.
I'm also unconvinced by us having two main singing groups either side of the visitors; not saying it's wrong though.
The North Stand should be a bit louder as it's supposed to be a family stand and I'd expect the kids to want to sing.
There is another possibility though: is the Etihad too comfortable? I'm not talking about padded seats etc, but the leg and elbow room means the fans are less squashed together and there is less of a group feel when celebrating. I'm not suggesting we want cattle class accommodation as at Goodison but it's certainly more lounge bar than tap room.

I'm not sure if the middleclassness of the ground/seats etc hinders the atmosphere, but then again I stand in 111 so it doesn't apply to my pals and me. I'm sure signing areas were better a few years ago.

I think if we could get some of the fans back to singing areas that were there when started at etihad that might help (but God knows where they have gone)

Thing is I'm sure we do have a sort of turnover of fans, some fans come to games for a few seasons then give up and stay at home with their android boxes, some fans have family/friends they want to start watching the game with and move away from signing areas,

I've never been to the swamp, but mates tell me fans are packed in there, with very little room to move and be comfy (I don't know why that is relevant)

All in all I think we as a fan base are changing

please see the thread about 'a question for the singing blocks', i think the two are linked.

City as with other clubs has had a change in fan type over recent years, as said there are not quite as many old skool passionate fans to make the attmosphere what it used to be.

Personally i feel we have slightly lost our identity as fans. i saw 2 half&half scarfs yesterday, in block 111 (unofficial signing block). i think some fans are fans of the particular games, not the club like we all were a few years ago. why else would they wear half liverpool half city scarfs, from a game last week were WE lost.

this is the sign 'o the times you mentioned
I don't get that mentality either. Wearing your colours was about pride in your team, not someone elses but the new fans don't seem to think like that.

We need new fans, and the old ones to come back to fill the place.

Wow.....another atmosphere bashing thread! The weather was absolutely atrocious yesterday and a lot of people were wrapped up and keeping their arses dry by keeping bums on seats! We played better......we won and could have had more.......Sergio got minutes and doesn't sound injured.....Merlin is back!!! :-)

Wasn't that bad yesterday in the circumstances. Got to be realistic, we're not Dortmund and never will be. Lack of away fans in SS3 does have an effect though on the noise up there

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.