Etihad atmosphere

Something I noticed yesterday from my place in 115. There were many Germans in there, for which I imagine someone at City is in trouble today. And what happened was interesting. Gladbach's drums started, Gladbach fans started singing to tunes we also use (like David Silva Ole, Here's to you Vincent Kompany), and we hijacked their 'rhythm' with our own songs. And it was pretty good, I must say. :)

Drums will never happen in England I would imagine, but they do sort of keep songs in order and at the right pace.

I remember looking at that 360-cam around the ground we did for the Barca match a couple of years ago and even in the "vocal" areas, there were noticeably very few medium to large groups of young blokes stood together. It's the same with our away support. Have a look tonight, and any CL night, at the away section and then have a look at any ground around Europe where they have a decent atmosphere in their main end; it'll be mainly blokes aged 20-35. Then look at us and even in what would be considered the proper end for vociferous home fans it's full of women kids and geeks and a hell of a lot of older blokes. Nowt against any of those people but they aren't the ones who will be starting off chants all game and keeping them going on and on, they just aren't those sorts of people (even if they always do join in with the songs we do get going). football has changed, and it's changed for good unless we sort out a proper big standing stand.

Agreed. You need more young, working class, men into the ground and together to get a good atmosphere. Answer; a reasonably priced standing area. All PL clubs are gonna have to embrace this as the atmosphere at nearly all PL grounds is poor.

Agreed. You need more young, working class, men into the ground and together to get a good atmosphere. Answer; a reasonably priced standing area. All PL clubs are gonna have to embrace this as the atmosphere at nearly all PL grounds is poor.

I think whilst it may be what fans who like an atmosphere want, it won't be what the club and premier league want. They will associate this with the bad old days and in those days, families were nowhere to be seen due to the perception that all football fans were hooligans. Our crowds were regularly in the early 20,000 in those days and even the rags were 30 odd thousand at times. There were spaces everywhere. You only have to youtube some of our 80's games to see loads of empty seats in the north Stand.

The clubs want to make as much money as possible. That's their goal nowadays. This is already showing itself in the reduced away tickets to points holders and more to corporate. He who can pay is what the clubs want and the Premier League bosses want this gravy train to continue. Everyone has been saying for years that this bubble will burst, me included, but it seems that it's stronger than ever and people are happily paying the prices they charge, buying the food and drink and merchandise from the shop. The lad who gets pissed up in Mary D's before the game, stumbles in at 5 past 3 and repeats this for 19 games is not the number one fan in their eyes, regardless of how loud he sings.

I wouldn't have thought that the atmosphere bothers them at all. Bottom line on the accounts does.

Something I noticed yesterday from my place in 115. There were many Germans in there, for which I imagine someone at City is in trouble today. And what happened was interesting. Gladbach's drums started, Gladbach fans started singing to tunes we also use (like David Silva Ole, Here's to you Vincent Kompany), and we hijacked their 'rhythm' with our own songs. And it was pretty good, I must say. :)

Drums will never happen in England I would imagine, but they do sort of keep songs in order and at the right pace.

You're right. I've said it many times, a drum would help infinitely. We're like giddy kids at christmas rushing through all of our songs. It was so refreshing to pause between lines singing the Silva song how it should be. There seems to be some kind of elitism with regards to drums, we look down on any fans that use drums when in reality they're easily the loudest fans.

The noise the German fans made last night was really something. A Liverpool fan I know was complaining about our end being rubbish for atmosphere as it splits the fans up, but last night the German fans showed that the atmosphere could be amazing if it was organised. If 3,000 German fans can create that noise, what could 9,000 City do at that end.

I know it's not going to happen, but it knocks the excuses on the head

Perhaps there is a need in the 'cheaper' parts of the ground to introduce unnumbered tickets (obviously not exceeding the capacity for that area) and then each customer could then chose who to sit with and in that way the riff raff (sorry, 'the lads') could create an earthy atmosphere and the rest of us coffee swilling, sandwich eating old fogeys could gather together and reminisce over Bert Trautmann, Peter Doherty and the like. I don't know if this would work or if it would ever be allowed by the authorities but it would be worth a one season trial.

So many lazy City fans. Only interested in making a noise if we're 3-0 up. I sit in 315 and when it's good, Chelsea, the roof nearly comes off. Some of the other games have been awful, silent atmospheres. Liverpool was pathetic even before they scored. It was like the crowd already knew the score. So much for roaring the team back into the game!

A drum would improve the atmosphere. The problem is, it wouldn't be welcomed by a large amount of our fans.

The atmosphere is improving so we'll see where it goes, if it doesn't improve enough, I'm sure a drum will be considered.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.