Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been down to the ground this morning around noon....seemed pretty quiet around the south stand end as we drove out through the away car park,not many workmen visible or knocking about. The store was doing ok and quite a few on the tour in city square as we were coming out...bought that Aguero 100 goals DVD for my lad,it seems excellent what Iv watched so far....also...bought the programme for the city v sunderland league cup final for a quid !!! dint buy one at the game last year cos I knew Id lose it ...great day so far/

One of the forum's biggest cliches that one, isn't it?

I'm going to be a bit controversial here. I think the crowd is overstated for that game. The stadium was full to capacity, no doubt, but the away end which held a few thousand was practically empty, and the bit in front of the away end wasn't as packed as the rest of the kippax. I know because I climbed over the fence to get in that bit to escape the crush.

Cliches become cliches, though, because people keep repeating them, and most often people keep repeating them because they believe them to be true. I went regularly to MR between 1975 and when it closed, and I never saw the North Stand as packed as it was that day, with the possible exception of the Everton game in 1981.

While the away section that day was practically empty, Charlton were given only one small enclosure and City fans took the rest of what normally would have gone to fans of the visiting team. If you see the full MotD highlights, Barry Davies comments that most of the Charlton fans arrived at HT because of a pile-up on the M6. The camera pans to their fans in a small away area, surrounded by Blues who are pretty tightly packed.

Way more than 47k..watched it back on YouTube ...there is not 6-7k available in that away section, if I recall City ended up taking it and by the end of the game fans were sitting beyond the white wall that separates the kippax from the pitch..
Unbelievable comment from DD, remember it well, lost both my shoes during goal celebration at the top of the Kippax, found them after the game right at the front. I don't think you could have ssqueezed 1 single body Maine Road that day, I remember everyone thinking it was way above capacity. Just watch the video clips

That was my first season.
I was 7.
I remember me dad taking me and my mate meggo rip.
We sat in that bit between the maine stand and the north stand.
At the end of the game he said right I'm going on the pitch u two wait here.

Unbelievable comment from DD, remember it well, lost both my shoes during goal celebration at the top of the Kippax, found them after the game right at the front. I don't think you could have ssqueezed 1 single body Maine Road that day, I remember everyone thinking it was way above capacity. Just watch the video clips
I wasn't on the Everton game but was on the charlton one, never seen the kippax so full it was scary, didn't the couple ov hundred charlton fans not make it until h/t ish? If I remember right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.