Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like most people in the stadium in the 70s & 80s we could guess the size of the crowd by within a couple of thousand so when the crowd was announced sometimes at
5-10,000 less than you knew was in there you could here the laughter from the kippax, and see swales rubbing his hands all that cash so easy to loose.that Everton quarter final the kippax was rammed seats all full over 60k in my opinion.
I agree with that .would other b/ms say that was the biggest unofficial crowd at Maine rd.?
Was £5 the going rate to jump the turnstiles or did I get ripped off.? What other scams did people use in those days ?

Yes there were a lot more in than 53,000 for the Everton game I was one of them.why would the o/s not mention that match ?
Thinking about it if they always used to say there was less in than there was and they gave it at 53,000 how many must have been in ?
Can't have been that many - in 1977 our capacity was put at 52,500.

Can't have been that many - in 1977 our capacity was put at 52,500.
I think you are a little naive to believe that gate fixing didn't go on in them days even by 10k it happened at all clubs, just because a capacity is given it was not possible to keep to it how would they know, no computers in them days to keep an eye on things, and before tickets just pay at the gate no chance of closing the turnstiles.

I think you are a little naive to believe that gate fixing didn't go on in them days even by 10k it happened at all clubs, just because a capacity is given it was not possible to keep to it how would they know, no computers in them days to keep an eye on things, and before tickets just pay at the gate no chance of closing the turnstiles.
I would guess that some turnstile operators up and down the country made some handy money back in those days. Not at City though; perish the thought!

Wonder how many kids got in for free back in them days? One of my first memory's of going to Maine Road was being lift over the turnstile by my Uncle's to get into the Kippax, Wouldn't be suprised if there was a fair few thousand over the capacity stated.

Wonder how many kids got in for free back in them days? One of my first memory's of going to Maine Road was being lift over the turnstile by my Uncle's to get into the Kippax, Wouldn't be suprised if there was a fair few thousand over the capacity stated.
Please don't be asking me to lift you over the turnstile next season ;-)

There were more than 47,000 in Maine Road for the Charlton game?

Why has no-one mentioned this before?

Haha. One of the forum's biggest cliches that one, isn't it?

I'm going to be a bit controversial here. I think the crowd is overstated for that game. The stadium was full to capacity, no doubt, but the away end which held a few thousand was practically empty, and the bit in front of the away end wasn't as packed as the rest of the kippax. I know because I climbed over the fence to get in that bit to escape the crush.

When we used to get 52,000 in the 70s and 80s there were always a capacity 6 or 7000 away fans in that section. With charlton only bringing a couple of hundred the stadium was full to capacity or even more.

To add to that, the worst example of the gate being understated when we were skint was that Bournemouth promotion game when we lost a 3 goal lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.