Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Threa

Shaelumstash said:
The cookie monster said:
Horrible bastard is Conn
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/jul/30/manchester-city-human-rights-accusations

What a ludicrous article. If he wanted to write an article about human rights abuses in the UAE, by all means, go ahead. If he wanted to write about huge investment by Sheikh Mansour in MCFC, and it is ruining football in his opinion, then go ahead. But to write an article that is clearly trying to fuse an inextricable link between Manchester City and human rights abuses in the UAE is just ridiculous, sensationalist, and potentially dangerous.

The UK government is a majority shareholder in RBS. The UK and it's allies have been accused of appalling human rights abuses in the fields of conflict in Iraq and Afghanistan. Does that make RBS customers somehow linked to those human rights abuses? Is there any connection whatsoever? I don't think there is. Conn is just trying to be sensationalist, and if a similar story appeared in The Sun or The Daily Mail, he and his paper would be the first to highlight how absurd and ridiculous it was.
Now we're in 100% agreement, which makes a pleasant change. Why not criticise Liverpool, whose main sponsor is Standard Chartered who are (yet again) being investigated for money laundering after paying the largest ever settlement to the US authorities. And their next biggest sponsor is Garuda the state airline of Indonesia, a country which has a far, far worse human rights record than the UAE.

Prestwich_Blue said:
Shaelumstash said:
The cookie monster said:
Horrible bastard is Conn

What a ludicrous article. If he wanted to write an article about human rights abuses in the UAE, by all means, go ahead. If he wanted to write about huge investment by Sheikh Mansour in MCFC, and it is ruining football in his opinion, then go ahead. But to write an article that is clearly trying to fuse an inextricable link between Manchester City and human rights abuses in the UAE is just ridiculous, sensationalist, and potentially dangerous.

The UK government is a majority shareholder in RBS. The UK and it's allies have been accused of appalling human rights abuses in the fields of conflict in Iraq and Afghanistan. Does that make RBS customers somehow linked to those human rights abuses? Is there any connection whatsoever? I don't think there is. Conn is just trying to be sensationalist, and if a similar story appeared in The Sun or The Daily Mail, he and his paper would be the first to highlight how absurd and ridiculous it was.
Now we're in 100% agreement, which makes a pleasant change. Why not criticise Liverpool, whose main sponsor is Standard Chartered who are (yet again) being investigated for money laundering after paying the largest ever settlement to the US authorities. And their next biggest sponsor is Garuda the state airline of Indonesia, a country which has a far, far worse human rights record than the UAE.

It's litterally unreal. The football World is simply idiotic. The same idiots that like mention human rights abuses and Manchester City are the same who declare that we are ruining football in this country by not producing enough English talent. So they want City to produce players they can cheer on whilst they play in Russia and Qatar. Simply idiotic.

I don't agree with the human rights abuses in the UAE, but I'm also unaware of what Shiekh Mansour is expected to do, he he supposed to over turn Sharia law? In a Muslim region observing Sharia Law for 1000's of years. Yes migrant workers could get a better deal. I doubt anyone would argue, but what's that got to do with City.

Conn and the like can point the specific finger at ADUG and the UAE for their human rights abuses, but not mention pretty much every team in the league having their £60 replica shirts produced in sweat shops. Or perhaps Conn should take a look at himself, if he's so moral, if he's so concerned about human rights, I bet he's not typing his nonsense on a British made type writer. My bet he has a smart phone, a tablet & a lap top, all full of minerals mined through regular or worse conflict slave labour.

schfc6 said:
It's litterally unreal. The football World is simply idiotic. The same idiots that like mention human rights abuses and Manchester City are the same who declare that we are ruining football in this country by not producing enough English talent. So they want City to produce players they can cheer on whilst they play in Russia and Qatar. Simply idiotic.

I don't agree with the human rights abuses in the UAE, but I'm also unaware of what Shiekh Mansour is expected to do, he he supposed to over turn Sharia law? In a Muslim region observing Sharia Law for 1000's of years. Yes migrant workers could get a better deal. I doubt anyone would argue, but what's that got to do with City.

Conn and the like can point the specific finger at ADUG and the UAE for their human rights abuses, but not mention pretty much every team in the league having their £60 replica shirts produced in sweat shops. Or perhaps Conn should take a look at himself, if he's so moral, if he's so concerned about human rights, I bet he's not typing his nonsense on a British made type writer. My bet he has a smart phone, a tablet & a lap top, all full of minerals mined through regular or worse conflict slave labour.
You should send him that, and ask him for his comments.

Manchester1894 said:
Twitter pic today:

Gary James @GaryJamesWriter
1st new @mcfc terraced stand for over 40 yrs (North Stand opened as terracing)-The new CFA stadium @STANDfanzine
[bigimg]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4rqk9OCUAAK8fD.jpg:large[/bigimg]
[bigimg]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4rq6IgIYAAAb1i.jpg:large[/bigimg]
[bigimg]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4rrTA-IUAAWYor.jpg:large[/bigimg]
Yep, they're my pics. Taken after Monday's CFA launch. There are more on my facebook.com/garyjames4 from the day.

Prestwich_Blue said:
Shaelumstash said:
The cookie monster said:
Horrible bastard is Conn

A stopped clock and all that eh PB?! ;-)
Only kidding, but I appreciate the comment.

Again, I respect Conn as a writer and understand his views on our owners, but he's gone way too far this time. By trying to link City and human rights abuses in Abu Dhabi he's opening up a real can of worms.

Are Real Madrid fans all fascists because of the connections of the club to Franco? Were the Juve fans "turning a blind eye" to the oppression of the Libyan people because Gadaffi was a Juve shareholder?

Football and politics should remain completely separate. That is one of the only agendas FIFA has which is actually in the genuine interests of the game.

Edit: Regarding FIFA, I don't mean there's not a silly amount of politiking going on, I mean their insistence that governments don't interfere with FA's, as demonstrated by the recent suspension of Nigeria.

cleavers said:
schfc6 said:

I don't agree with the human rights abuses in the UAE, but I'm also unaware of what Shiekh Mansour is expected to do, is he supposed to over turn Sharia law? In a Muslim region observing Sharia Law for 1000's of years. Yes migrant workers could get a better deal. I doubt anyone would argue that, but what's that got to do with City?

Conn and the like can point the specific finger at ADUG and the UAE for their human rights abuses, but not mention pretty much every team in the league having their £60 replica shirts produced in sweat shops. Seems an unbalanced view. Or perhaps Conn should take a look at himself, if he's so moral, if he's so concerned about human rights, I bet he's not typing his nonsense on a British made type writer. My bet he has a smart phone, a tablet & a lap top, all full of minerals mined through regular or worse conflict slave labour.

Feel free to edit and send to him. I have no idea when it comes to social media.

Gary James said:
Manchester1894 said:
Twitter pic today:

Gary James @GaryJamesWriter
1st new @mcfc terraced stand for over 40 yrs (North Stand opened as terracing)-The new CFA stadium @STANDfanzine
[bigimg]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4rqk9OCUAAK8fD.jpg:large[/bigimg]
[bigimg]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4rq6IgIYAAAb1i.jpg:large[/bigimg]
[bigimg]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4rrTA-IUAAWYor.jpg:large[/bigimg]
Yep, they're my pics. Taken after Monday's CFA launch. There are more on my facebook.com/garyjames4 from the day.
Is that LED riboning around the side of the pitch.... very posh

B4srP7_IcAAMcN5.jpg

https://twitter.com/NPAS_Barton/status/543575733835403264

schfc6 said:
cleavers said:
schfc6 said:

I don't agree with the human rights abuses in the UAE, but I'm also unaware of what Shiekh Mansour is expected to do, is he supposed to over turn Sharia law? In a Muslim region observing Sharia Law for 1000's of years. Yes migrant workers could get a better deal. I doubt anyone would argue that, but what's that got to do with City?

Conn and the like can point the specific finger at ADUG and the UAE for their human rights abuses, but not mention pretty much every team in the league having their £60 replica shirts produced in sweat shops. Seems an unbalanced view. Or perhaps Conn should take a look at himself, if he's so moral, if he's so concerned about human rights, I bet he's not typing his nonsense on a British made type writer. My bet he has a smart phone, a tablet & a lap top, all full of minerals mined through regular or worse conflict slave labour.

Feel free to edit and send to him. I have no idea when it comes to social media.

Ask him about American owners and the CIA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.