Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is..20/30 years ago you could fill 60k easy

With the cost of living/football ticket prices as they are..not so easy

If we want to be taking advantage of 60k crowds the stand alone tickets need to come down in price
Err when precisely did City fill Maine Road with 60,000 every week?

I recall when the capacity was 63,000 there were rarely more than 40,000 even in the Championship winning season. The only match to come anywhere near capacity was the Rags. 25,000 wasn't unknown and 40,000 was common. More recently in the 1990s 20,000-25,000 was near to the mark admittedly in a much reduced capacity stadium but with the old Kippax.

Err when precisely did City fill Maine Road with 60,000 every week?

I recall when the capacity was 63,000 there were rarely more than 40,000 even in the Championship winning season. The only match to come anywhere near capacity was the Rags. 25,000 wasn't unknown and 40,000 was common. More recently in the 1990s 20,000-25,000 was near to the mark admittedly in a much reduced capacity stadium but with the old Kippax.

I think my point passed you by

Filling a 60k stadium in today's financial climate will be difficult

I genuinely hope we do..but then I also genuinely hope our benevolent owners will try to buck the trend on individual match prices

We could get 60k now for at least ten games a season. Is giving 6000 away seats an option for the bigger games once we expand. The rags, Everton, Liverpool, arsenal and spurs all used to fill the old platt lane with that many.

That would really make the atmosphere something else.

Yep
out sung by the away fans is always a buzz

As we watch Anfield get a new stand, Spurs inching towards breaking ground, Chelsea with a pipe dream etc what really becomes obvious is how all these clubs are limited in what they are building.

Admittedly there are a few shops and apartments included here and there but the plans for the wider campus and collar site will mean that the Etihad is only a part of a world leading development. And in truth its unlikely it will ever be matched.

City are going to become untouchable within a decade as far as infrastructure in Manchester alone is concerned.

Does anyone know when the club is looking to commence works on the collar site?

I think my point passed you by

Filling a 60k stadium in today's financial climate will be difficult

I genuinely hope we do..but then I also genuinely hope our benevolent owners will try to buck the trend on individual match prices
Easy to grow when you're top of the league have Aguero, Silva, De Bruyne, Hart etc in the team.

This is the time to build the ground to take advantage

Easy to grow when you're top of the league have Aguero, Silva, De Bruyne, Hart etc in the team.

This is the time to build the ground to take advantage

Only if we can fill it though. There's too many empty seats at the moment. It's easy to get excited about expanding and I did too before I sat in the third tier, but up there you can see so many empties in the rest of the ground. It's not something I'm arsed about before anyone gives it the 'you're scared of your united mates' shit, but if we were to build another 6k seats and have an extra 5k or so empties on top of the already noticeable amount of empties in most games then it would put a slight dampner on the whole 'matchday experience' thing

Only if we can fill it though. There's too many empty seats at the moment. It's easy to get excited about expanding and I did too before I sat in the third tier, but up there you can see so many empties in the rest of the ground. It's not something I'm arsed about before anyone gives it the 'you're scared of your united mates' shit, but if we were to build another 6k seats and have an extra 5k or so empties on top of the already noticeable amount of empties in most games then it would put a slight dampner on the whole 'matchday experience' thing

I think we could fill it..but would mean a few changes

Lower the match day tickets slightly

Lower the STs slightly and as @SWP's back suggested, maybe tag on the CL group stages

The thing is..City are still very much a working mans club..ok some of us have alright jobs and get by..but I don't think it's an unreasonable statement to say the majority of match attending City fans are far from high rollers

So unless you're on the season ticket gravy train..with the average match day premier league ticket costing 50 odd quid..not factoring in travel/food/booze I think a lot of casual support has dropped by the wayside and it's those 5/6 games a season folks who made up the numbers previously

It will take many years of success to get the numbers up on corporate support..to say a rag level

So basically you have a decline in casual core support coupled with a slow uptake on corporate/posh seats match attendees

The only way to resolve this is to lower the price..I'm not talking about slashing it heavily..but just enough so that the working man can justify it to his spouse from time to time

I'm not so sure about this. Yes there are some noticeable empty seats, and I don't know the reason for this, but it's demonstrably not a lack of demand - which is why, after the expansion, we are attracting more than ever.
If those empty seats were genuinely an indication of us reaching our limits (in terms of attendances), then we'd not have filled the expansion.

I definitely think we have some 'issue' with empty seats (above and beyond 'normal' no-shows that every club has), but for the reason I stated above, it can't be down to no demand.
Some have blamed poor ticket exchange schemes, and that may still be the case even with City's own scheme now in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.