Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new South roof still utilises the CableNet system so a new roof would be a major construction likely to mean closing the ground and having to play elsewhere. IMHO there is scope in each comer to add more seats this would mean removing the extension corner roof section then three support beams from the side roof and "flattening" off the roof corners, this would then allow the top seat rows to be extended.

No, the south stand roof is independent. The cable net runs under the roof and supporting cables come through the walls in the corners. These cables limited the design of the 3rd tier.

It's unlikely that the corners will be done until the Es and CB are expanded and the cable net is removed.

The new South roof still utilises the CableNet system so a new roof would be a major construction likely to mean closing the ground and having to play elsewhere. IMHO there is scope in each comer to add more seats this would mean removing the extension corner roof section then three support beams from the side roof and "flattening" off the roof corners, this would then allow the top seat rows to be extended.

Just to confirm, the new South Stand doesn't use the old cable net and is completely independent from it. It is held up solely by the new supports. In fact, the design is so genius, that the old supports don't even touch the new tier or roof at any point.

Speaking of the Etihad capacity during the expansion, last year some official documents stated:

Original: 47,670
North & South: up to 6,250 each
Pitch side: up to 2,000

Final Capacity: 62,170

Not sure where it came from, but it was "official" enough that I put it in my iPhone notes. It may have been from the stadium expansion ports cabin that was set up outside the City Store when it first started and they were showing the plans.

I think that the figures you quoted and the overall 14,500 increase in capacity came from the planning application documents. The North and South Stand figures I believe include the small additions made/to be made to the ends of the two side stands. We should be a little under 56,000 capacity right now (62,170 - 6250) but have fallen short by almost a thousand seats. I don't think we got anything like 2,000 additional seats at pitch side. We couldn't go all the way round due to the technical areas in front of the Colin Bell Stand, couldn't go three deep in the corners due to sight lines and lost aisle seats due to additional access requirements because of increasing the capacity. I think we also lost one row of seats at the back of South Stand Level 3 when we actually came to build it due to sight lines. I'm not sure exactly how they envisage making up the shortfall when we continue the extension. I'd have thought we'd get to approximately 61,000 with a mirror image which suggests it won't be that.

Last edited:
Just to confirm, the new South Stand doesn't use the old cable net and is completely independent from it. It is held up solely by the new supports. In fact, the design is so genius, that the old supports don't even touch the new tier or roof at any point.
Would you expand what the big grey extensions are for and the cables that run to the roof and until the cables were tensioned the temporary roof supports, bowl side, remained in place?

Would you expand what the big grey extensions are for and the cables that run to the roof and until the cables were tensioned the temporary roof supports, bowl side, remained in place?

They can't remove the old South Stand roof supports because they help to hold up the rest of the roof. The cable net hoops around the stadium holding everything in place and removing any part of it would cause the old roof to collapse.

It's infortuntate really as this limited how big the new South Stand could be. It's at the absolute biggest it could actually go to, with the old cables coming in through the back at the top.

The new roof is held up purely by the new big triangle supports. This was temporary supported during construction by supports which went from the terracing to the underside of the roof.

They can't remove the old South Stand roof supports because they help to hold up the rest of the roof. The cable net hoops around the stadium holding everything in place and removing any part of it would cause the old roof to collapse.

It's infortuntate really as this limited how big the new South Stand could be. It's at the absolute biggest it could actually go to, with the old cables coming in through the back at the top.

The new roof is held up purely by the new big triangle supports. This was temporary supported during construction by supports which went from the terracing to the underside of the roof.

Thanks I understand all that, many times on here I've tried to explain how the CableNet system works. The new stand is a wonder of design and construction which few people realise. However what I don't understand is how the new triangular supports hold up the new roof, not saying your wrong just don't see how they work unless the CableNet is involved.Would be good if the engineers produced a document similar to the original one describing the design of the stadium.

Thanks I understand all that, many times on here I've tried to explain how the CableNet system works. The new stand is a wonder of design and construction which few people realise. However what I don't understand is how the new triangular supports hold up the new roof, not saying your wrong just don't see how they work unless the CableNet is involved.Would be good if the engineers produced a document similar to the original one describing the design of the stadium.
obZDjcO.jpg

The pale grey support beam is the original and you can see that the cables go under roof (so therefore can't be supporting the new roof). The new triangular supports that hold up the roof are connected by cables to the concrete blocks at ground level.

As you say it is a stroke of genius how they've married the two together. Once the other 3 sides are replaced the original supports can be removed entirely along with the cable net system.

Last edited by a moderator:
So if I've got it right, we've gone from 47500 to 54500. This means the South stand AND extra rows at the front added about 7000 seats, so how will the North stand on its own add 8000 more to get to 62500?

Official current capacity is now apparently 55097. I assume it doesn't include the 550 or so box seats....?
The new North Stand, should it mirror the South Stand will provide an additional 6300 seats, plus around 300 at the ends of the 3rd tiers on the East and west Stands. So, final capacity should be around 62250 including box seats or 61700 if they are included....?!

New South Stand Roof dodges around the Cablenet not relying on it for anything - its in the way.
The New South Stand Roof itselfs is held up by the cables looping over the top of the new tall poles - I'm not an architect but I think you might call it a cable cantilever system or similar - if you look a the piccy below, the downward pressure of the roof at B pivoting around A is taken up by the cables as indicated by the red arrows around to some big fuckoff anchor points somewhere at the back/base of the stand
howssroofstaysup.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.