Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't understand why the stand didn't have a sloping extra block at each end, would of looked a lot better, having said that it looks fuckin great.

The new third tier is completely "maxed out" in terms of both height and width, the limitations being the cables running down from the internal cable "ring" (which runs around the front of the four stands). This cable is still in place despite the construction of a new roof as the ring supports the other three stands. If you view the picture below (courtesy of @gingerwig) you'll see the aforementioned cables running within a few metres of the new tier. From the top of the new tier you'll see the cables running back through the stand and down to the original support masts. Pretty amazing engineering and design to shoehorn a 6k seat stand on top of an existing structure whilst simultaneously holding live events every other week throughout 90% of the construction project. I for one think it's a triumph.

The current cable support restricts the design and therefore capacity for now. I expect the entire roof structure will be different once the east and west stands are expanded. Here's that photo...

jqnvb9.jpg

Certainly steeper than the 3rd tiers on East and West - is it simply to do with the amount of space available behind?

If you look at the above photo you"ll see that it isn't actually that steep. The design of the new tier allows for future expansion, i.e. marrying into the the east/west stands to create one single third tier. This will happen, albeit not for a number of years.

In 15 years time, there'll be threads on here questioning how on earth we coped with a meagre 47k capacity...

I still have to pinch myself sometimes that this is all actually happening! Before the takeover City were a sleeping giant, now thanks to the owners the potential of the Club has been unleashed. I think once we are hitting 55/60k per game the penny will finally drop with the media and opposition fans that City are actually a very big club and is here to stay.

I think the roof corners leave a lot to be desired. Of course there will be technical reasons / compromises to explain why they are this way, but aesthetically, they're just poor. We'll get used to them, and a lot depends on which angle you're
I've no doubt that they've done the best they could considering how difficult it was to put that third tier in, but if we're being honest those corners look crap

I think that's the nub of it. Compromises have / had to be made, and the result is that the roof corners aren't aesthetically pleasing, and to a lesser degree the seating (or lack of) at corners isn't wrap-around style, which is a shame (imo).
However, if rumours of CB and East Stand expansions are accurate, then the original smooth lines might be restored.

The dipped corners have grown on me since I first saw them, and a lot depends on the angle you view them at, but overall, I think you're right, they're never going to be beautiful!

The new third tier is completely "maxed out" in terms of both height and width, the limitations being the cables running down from the internal cable "ring" (which runs around the front of the four stands). This cable is still in place despite the construction of a new roof as the ring supports the other three stands. If you view the picture below (courtesy of @gingerwig) you'll see the aforementioned cables running within a few metres of the new tier. From the top of the new tier you'll see the cables running back through the stand and down to the original support masts. Pretty amazing engineering and design to shoehorn a 6k seat stand on top of an existing structure whilst simultaneously holding live events every other week throughout 90% of the construction project. I for one think it's a triumph.

The current cable support restricts the design and therefore capacity for now. I expect the entire roof structure will be different once the east and west stands are expanded. Here's that photo...

jqnvb9.jpg
Cheers mate, spells it out clearly, hope some screens go up or similar.

Cheers mate, spells it out clearly, hope some screens go up or similar.

No worries mate.

The big screens will effectively make a feature of what is the ugly - but necessary - part of the new stand. They might not be in place for the start of the season as priorities are, understandably, elsewhere. Once in, your eyes will be drawn to the screens rather than the supporting steels!

I've no doubt that they've done the best they could considering how difficult it was to put that third tier in, but if we're being honest those corners look crap

yeah, agree sadly, makes it look naff, wish we could have done the whole thing in one go, although less practical and risking empty seats, at least we'd have a stunning, finished stadium.

jqnvb9.jpg

Interesting. Thanks for that mate.

I always wondered why we didn't make the new tier wider to fill in those corners, now I know.

Hopefully we'll join the stands together at some stage in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.