Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

62k will be more than big enough for now.

It’ll take a few years before we’re filling it regularly throughout all competitions.

Numbers, details, estimates? My experience is travelling by foot/bus. In takes 50 mins in for me and an hour out. They are not going to widen roads, and there's not going to be any infrastructure spend, unless ADUG do it, which is highly unlikely unless they were given a stake in the result. Still unlikely. Manchester population is surging but it's largely young single people, who travel on foot and live and work in manchester.

In my opinion less and less people will travel into the City for shopping/work so you're unlikely to see major transport infrastructure works. What's the biggest workplace in Manchester now? Council, hospitals? Offices and shops are closing down. People will work and shop from home, and the world will come to you rather than the other way around. In the short term anyway.

I would like to know how traffic into Manchester has changed over the years. In my opinion the numbers of car journeys into Manchester are way way down but that's just anecdotal thinking back on how the roads used to be.

I think the latest figures show that as a nation we drive 327 billion miles in motor vehicles per year ! However, the upward trend is falling - the year on year increase is only around 1 per cent and is expected to start falling. HGV and car journeys are flattening it’s white can man that’s seeing major growth.

This revised framework document has been available online for a few months now.

I took from it at least a recognition by the Council that substantial new development in the area (such as major leisure development, including an arena) will require a review and probably a reinforcement of transport provision. In previous versions I was detecting the view that the existing tram service would be enough, but at least here they are no longer necessarily making that assumption.

Over the past decades the population and workforce of the area fell significantly, leading to the closure of rail stations at Miles Platting and Park. In future there could be a case for re-opening one of these stations. There is also the potential for opening the line next to the Etihad for passenger traffic and putting a station in there. e.g. a new service from Manchester Victoria to (say) Glossop via a new station at the Etihad. The quantity of residential, education and office development proposed for the area surrounding the stadium and Holt Town could make such a new station feasible and not just reliant on match day traffic.

A new rail station opened in London this week (at Meridian Water, Enfield, not that far from WHL) based on the development potential of the surrounding area. The proposals for the area around the Etihad is actually much larger than that around the Meridian Waters station.

The existing tram service could also be improved significantly, for example by addressing the Merrill St bottleneck. I think the public authorities should address this whether there is a new arena or not as the problem is being caused by poor original design and planning.

om

In my opinion less and less people will travel into the City for shopping/work so you're unlikely to see major transport infrastructure works. What's the biggest workplace in Manchester now? Council, hospitals? Offices and shops are closing down. People will work and shop from home, and the world will come to you rather than the other way around. In the short term anyway.

Not just in the short term IMO.

The days of the masses traveling to work in a city centre from Monday to Friday 9-5 are disappearing.
Plenty of people still doing that now but expect to see less and less over the next 10-20 years.
Death of the high street, telecommuting, etc are all contributing.
Bigger share of a shrinking workforce living and working in city centre. Commuting on foot.

Leisure and pleasure will be the reason for the increase in going into/out of city centre.
We need a transport infrastructure that can adapt, i.e. event based schedule.
Matches, concerts, shows, etc. needing / causing big peaks in short term demand.

Stadium increase will need to be supported by a revised view of transport infrastructure as a whole. Requires vision at the right levels of government. :(

28w5ja.jpg

2rvzg5l.jpg

Not sure if any of this is new but got this through the post today. I live close to the stadium.

Numbers, details, estimates? My experience is travelling by foot/bus. In takes 50 mins in for me and an hour out. They are not going to widen roads, and there's not going to be any infrastructure spend, unless ADUG do it, which is highly unlikely unless they were given a stake in the result. Still unlikely. Manchester population is surging but it's largely young single people, who travel on foot and live and work in manchester.

I would like to know how traffic into Manchester has changed over the years. In my opinion the numbers of car journeys into Manchester are way way down but that's just anecdotal thinking back on how the roads used to be.
Manchester city centre is one of the biggest booming cities in Europe for new offices, shops, restaurants, bars and homes.

Manchester city centre is one of the biggest booming cities in Europe for new offices, shops, restaurants, bars and homes.
Not suggesting some sectors are not booming, but there's definitely a lot of change in use. Shops aren't booming at all. They are clinging on. See King St, St Annes Square. Once exclusive areas that are really struggling

Not suggesting some sectors are not booming, but there's definitely a lot of change in use. Shops aren't booming at all. They are clinging on. See King St, St Annes Square. Once exclusive areas that are really struggling

You’re just talking about retail. That’s struggling country wide and will continue to do so as online shopping becomes more and more dominate. This doesn’t really have an impact on the Manchester ‘boom’.

We need to decide how we fill the space in our cities - restaurants, bars and coffee shops etc.. will be needed. but there will be less and less shops - so City centres need to be redesigned to reflect this. I guess more homes, more leisure space, more parks etc.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.