Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Went down to the 2nd public consultation this Afternoon.

Spoke to Alexis and Mark from the Oak View Group, who the kindly answered some questions. Thanks.

I also took some pictures of the the soil testing rigs on the site of the proposed arena.

Will post what I was told and the pictures Tomorrow Morning.

Spoke to Alexis and Mark from the Oak View Group, who the kindly answered some questions. Thanks.

I also took some pictures of the the soil testing rigs on the site of the proposed arena.

Noticed those on the car park last week just assumed the sheikh had run out of oil and was doing a reccy :+)

Tease.

It’s fair to say we already know some of the answers to the questions I asked. But I just wanted to confirm that what we already know is correct.

Once again, thanks to Alexis and Mark form OVG for taking the time out to answer my questions.

OVG are 100% committed to bringing the arena forward, even though it is still at the *feasibility* stage.

OVG are funding, bringing forward, and developing the arena themselves. The £300mill cost of the proposed arena stated in the PNW article is circa correct. City aren’t involved in developing or funding the arena. City are involved in some aspects of the arena due to owning the land, and due to the arena proximity to the Etihad stadium. Basically the arena has got to be right for City, as well as right for OVG.

OVG did extensive research before deciding Manchester could accommodate another arena. They looked at and highlighted London and Birmingham as cities that have more than 1 arena. OVG think *Manchester can sustain 2 viable (city centre) arenas*. Manchester has constantly been in the top 3 cities worldwide for hosting and attracting events. OVG think there has been a decline in the number of events being held in Manchester. They think Manchester can cater for more events due to the location of City, large numbers of young people moving to Manchester for work, the student population, etc. If the proposed arena get’s built, OVG are looking at holding 100-150 events a year at the arena. Mostly music events, but also sporting events, performances, etc.

Before picking the Etihad Campus site OVG did extensive research to find a viable and appropriate site in Manchester for the proposed Arena. In total they looked at 60 sites across the city. They picked the Etihad Campus due to the available land, it’s proximity to the city centre, good transport links, and the opportunity to work with City and ADUG.

The arena capacity will be 20,000+. No exact capacity figures are available yet, *as the design of the arena is still being worked on*. The *shape* of the arena won’t alter much from what we’ve already seen. The arena is being designed to maximise the full size and shape of the land where it will sit. OVG are concentrating solely on the arena. They are not getting involved in any other leisure proposals that could be adjacent to the arena on the Etihad Campus. OVG think the arena could be a catalyst for further leisure development on the Etihad Campus. The internal shape of the arena will be a bowl or a 4 sided configuration. The Architects are Populous.

There will be another public consolation later this year showing much more detailed plans of the arena. If all goes to plan, a planning application could be submitted early next year. Again, if all goes to plan, and the planning application is approved, work on the arena could start next year, with a anticipated 2 year build. The arena could be built and open by 2022.

I’ll post the information board pictures and soil testing rig pictures later.

Last edited:
It’s fair to say we already know some of the answers to the questions I asked. But I just wanted to confirm that what we already know is correct.

Once again, thanks to Alexis and Mark form OVG for taking the time out to answer my questions.

OVG are 100% committed to bringing the arena forward, even though it is still at the *feasibility* stage.

OVG are funding, bringing forward, and developing the arena themselves. The £300mill cost of the proposed arena stated in the PNW article is circa correct. City aren’t involved in developing or funding the arena. City are involved in some aspects of the arena due to owning the land, and due to the arena proximity to the Etihad stadium. Basically the arena has got to be right for City, as well as right for OVG.

OVG did extensive research before deciding Manchester could accommodate another arena. They looked at and highlighted London and Birmingham as cities that have more than 1 arena. OVG think *Manchester can sustain 2 viable (city centre) arenas*. Manchester has constantly been in the top 3 cities worldwide for hosting and attracting events. OVG think there has been a decline in the number of events being held in Manchester. They think Manchester can cater for more events due to the location of City, large numbers of young people moving to Manchester for work, the student population, etc. If the proposed arena get’s built, OVG are looking at holding 100-150 events a year at the arena. Mostly music events, but also sporting events, performances, etc.

Before picking the Etihad Campus site OVG did extensive research to find a viable and appropriate site in Manchester for the proposed Arena. In total they looked at 60 sites across the city. They picked the Etihad Campus due to the available and extension land, it’s proximity to the city centre, good transport links, and the opportunity to work with City and ADUG.

The arena capacity will be 20,000+. No exact capacity figures are available yet, *as the design of the arena is still being worked on*. The *shape* of the arena won’t alter much from what we’ve already seen. The arena is being designed to maximise the full size and shape of the land where it will sit. OVG are concentrating solely on the arena. They are not getting involved in any other leisure proposals that could be adjacent to the arena on the Etihad Campus. OVG think the arena could be a catalyst for further leisure development on the Etihad Campus. The internal shape of the arena will be a bowl or a 4 sided configuration. The Architects are Populous.

There will be another public consolation later this year showing much more detailed plans of the arena. If all goes to plan, a planning application could be submitted early next year. Again, if all goes to plan, and the planning application is approved, work on the arena could start next year, with a anticipated 2 year build. The arena could be built and open by 2022.

I'm glad the architect isnt Rafael Vinoly, not a fan of the stuff hes done for CFG with the weird tubular cladding.

Before picking the Etihad Campus site OVG did extensive research to find a viable and appropriate site in Manchester for the proposed Arena. In total they looked at 60 sites across the city. They picked the Etihad Campus due to the available and extension land, it’s proximity to the city centre, good transport links, and the opportunity to work with City and ADUG.

Unless I'm missing something, won't we lose millions in revenue from gigs if this goes ahead?

Unless I'm missing something, won't we lose millions in revenue from gigs if this goes ahead?

I wouldn’t think so.

The new arena isn’t large enough to hold the big concert, 50,000 crowds that the Etihad can hold. Plus there are only a few of those concerts, which are shoehorned into the Summer Month’s. I would assume City will get money from OVG and the arena being on the Etihad Campus.

I wouldn’t think so.

The new arena isn’t large enough to hold the big concert, 50,000 crowds that the Etihad can hold. Plus there are only a few of those concerts, which are shoehorned into the Summer Month’s. I would assume City will get money from OVG and the arena being on the Etihad Campus.
It was suggested before that City would make a lot of revenue from this operation, but that seems unlikely. If OVG are bearing the full costs, they are going to want the lion-share of the revenue. However, it can only be positive for the area.

Thanks for the news report!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.