Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

I wonder if the club would consider a Back to the 70s section in any future expansion plans. This would be aimed at those who consider the modern match day experience too sanitised.

In this section everyone could knock fuck out of each other and early leavers could be beaten to a pulp with impunity. Additional amenities could be things like 70s Kippax-style toilets in which you could wade through several inches of urine whilst powdering your nose or even retro red brick walls that you could piss against without even going into the bogs.

It could be a money-spinner I reckon.

The long running rumour of City buying the Asda store and site can be put to bed for the foreseeable future at least.

Originally posted by Flange on SSC, MCR.

———————————————————

Asda Eastlands Car Park Ashton New Road Manchester M11 4BD

Erection of a single storey detached building and associated external works to form drive thru coffee shop in existing car park.(Starbucks?)

———————————————————-

So apart from the proposed indoor arena, we seem to be still at square 1.

No NS expansion.

No Asda store and site purchase.

No Collar Site activity.

No activity on the wider Etihad Campus.

This was the best of Manchester. The 1980s Hulme Crescents. It won all kinds of awards for innovative housing but then became regarded as a slum.

There were 4 huge crescents joined by walkways. William Kent Crescent, Charles Barry Crescent, and Robert Adam Crescent. I forget the name of the 4th.

5c3af16ebf0c24363e02008822948813.JPG

Heaven for bohemia, hell for families. The biggest housing estate in Europe I believe, and right in the heart of Manchester and full of young people, squats, punks and anarchists. Off the grid, and you could do what you wanted with a major drawback that no one had any money. But this was the last era before censorship and it produced Easterhouse, and the Stone Roses. Morrisey was there too.

This was a big part of Manchester's music scene. It's where most of the bands came from.

These blocks replaced a huge slum of terraced housing. Nowadays there are modern town-houses there.

Has the next round of consultation - provided any better insight into what the proposed arena will look like? The images so far look more like a branch of B&Q without the orange signage.
Yeah a great idea that no doubt would be a fantastic facility but unfortunately look like a warehouse.
While nobody can question the commitment and investment the sheik has made to the club and surrounding area,I think a great opportunity has been missed for them to build a signature statement development.
A iconic development that would make people the world over recognize and associate with Manchester City.

King Street and St Anne’s Sq have been on their arse for years as shopping streets, it’s not simply down to a recent increase in online sales.

The rents on the units in that area are absolutely obscene, even Starbucks couldn’t afford to stay in the huge flagship unit because the rent was too high. That was one of the busiest Starbucks in the country, but they moved to a smaller unit across the way.

There’s been a huge drop off in high end retail generally as cheap disposable fashion becomes more prevalent. So high end retail like King St, St Anne’s Sq, Kendals, Harvey Nichols have been affected worse than the middle and lower end of the market.

But go on Market St, go in the Arndale, and they are absolutely slammed 7 days a week. Try going in Zara and see if you can buy anything without getting in a 10 deep queue at the till.

I’m sure the market will readjust to deal with the explosion of online sales, but to say the high street is dead is extremely premature in my view.

I actually think you might see a back lash against online fast-fashion in the near future. Millennials are overwhelmingly responsible for its popularity, but they are also the demographic most concerned about the environment, carbon footprints and exploitative labour. The trend may well move back towards high street shopping and buying quality that lasts longer.

Who saw the trend towards locally brewed IPA’s and artisan street food coming 10 years ago? Or boutique, local one-screen cinemas? There’s been a trend away from globalism. The same thing may well happen with fashion.

And the idea that high street retail is going to be replaced by food and beverage, I’m not sure that’s true either. How many chain restaurants have either gone bump or completely scaled back recently? Jamie Oliver, Prezzo, Frankie and Benny’s, Chiquito, Pizza Express, that’s just in the last 3 months off the top of my head.

It’s interesting times, but the idea that the high street’s problems are terminal, is premature in my view.

Very true. In a lot of smaller towns in the USA (especially the more affluent ones) the trend has been away from the strip malls (bad news for the Glazers) and towards town centres which have become much more social and leisure focused and less dependent on retail. Lots of micro breweries, arts centres etc. We usually follow trends over there. If your town centre is a nice place to spend time then people will use it. It's bad news for some of the high-end fashion chains that have been ripping people off for years and good news for small independents who offer something different. Manchester city-centre was dead in the 70s and 80s compared to now.

This was the best of Manchester. The 1980s Hulme Crescents. It won all kinds of awards for innovative housing but then became regarded as a slum.

There were 4 huge crescents joined by walkways. William Kent Crescent, Charles Barry Crescent, and Robert Adam Crescent. I forget the name of the 4th.

5c3af16ebf0c24363e02008822948813.JPG

Heaven for bohemia, hell for families. The biggest housing estate in Europe I believe, and right in the heart of Manchester and full of young people, squats, punks and anarchists. Off the grid, and you could do what you wanted with a major drawback that no one had any money. But this was the last era before censorship and it produced Easterhouse, and the Stone Roses. Morrisey was there too.

This was a big part of Manchester's music scene. It's where most of the bands came from.

These blocks replaced a huge slum of terraced housing. Nowadays there are modern town-houses there.
80's? They went up in the seventies. John Nash was the 4th. They've even got a place in Wiki all of their own.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hulme_Crescents

Status
Adult-only from 1974,
Abandoned in 1984
Demolished in 1994

What a waste of money & time.

I wonder if the club would consider a Back to the 70s section in any future expansion plans. This would be aimed at those who consider the modern match day experience too sanitised.

In this section everyone could knock fuck out of each other and early leavers could be beaten to a pulp with impunity. Additional amenities could be things like 70s Kippax-style toilets in which you could wade through several inches of urine whilst powdering your nose or even retro red brick walls that you could piss against without even going into the bogs.

Call it the Brexit Stand.

King Street and St Anne’s Sq have been on their arse for years as shopping streets, it’s not simply down to a recent increase in online sales.

The rents on the units in that area are absolutely obscene, even Starbucks couldn’t afford to stay in the huge flagship unit because the rent was too high. That was one of the busiest Starbucks in the country, but they moved to a smaller unit across the way.

There’s been a huge drop off in high end retail generally as cheap disposable fashion becomes more prevalent. So high end retail like King St, St Anne’s Sq, Kendals, Harvey Nichols have been affected worse than the middle and lower end of the market.

But go on Market St, go in the Arndale, and they are absolutely slammed 7 days a week. Try going in Zara and see if you can buy anything without getting in a 10 deep queue at the till.

I’m sure the market will readjust to deal with the explosion of online sales, but to say the high street is dead is extremely premature in my view.

I actually think you might see a back lash against online fast-fashion in the near future. Millennials are overwhelmingly responsible for its popularity, but they are also the demographic most concerned about the environment, carbon footprints and exploitative labour. The trend may well move back towards high street shopping and buying quality that lasts longer.

Who saw the trend towards locally brewed IPA’s and artisan street food coming 10 years ago? Or boutique, local one-screen cinemas? There’s been a trend away from globalism. The same thing may well happen with fashion.

And the idea that high street retail is going to be replaced by food and beverage, I’m not sure that’s true either. How many chain restaurants have either gone bump or completely scaled back recently? Jamie Oliver, Prezzo, Frankie and Benny’s, Chiquito, Pizza Express, that’s just in the last 3 months off the top of my head.

It’s interesting times, but the idea that the high street’s problems are terminal, is premature in my view.

Excellent; thoughtful and well-written post. Cheers pal

Great Idea...we could also sell paper cups filled to the brim with moulton bovril so as soon as you pick them up, squeezing the cup as gently as you can, the fucking thing overflows giving you 3rd degree burns to your hand..

You could enter the new stand through the aptly named 'Pete's emergency slush fund turnstile', that clicks every 15 bodies, as a homage to Swailsey (sure we regularly had 60K plus crowds at Maine Road that were recorded as 42759 in the football pink the same evening)..

Once in you are then searched for weapons, anybody found not to have any were immediately offered a selection of bats, bottles, darts and filed down 2 pence pieces before being allowed up the chipped and well worn concrete steps..

Once inside, the doors are locked shut and nobody is allowed out until the game's over no matter how shit the match is panning out..!

Upon being let out, police horses, alsatian dogs, burley policemen and 4000 away fans keep your adrenaline flowing all the way back into town..

Good old fashioned match day experience with not a selfie stick in site..

Oh and it's got to be 75p to get in..!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.