Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

1885780_manchesterarena2ovgblakeneygroup2.southeastaerialcrop1compressed_53394.jpg

The Liquorice Allsort arena !

FWIW:

Went to the velodrome yesterday to see what they'd set up in regards to the new arena. It was a really small area near the front of entrance C, with a few boards up showing pictures and descriptions which I think have all been shown online really. The atrium of the stadium looks pretty cool, with each floor being able to see each other as opposed to other venues where each floor is completely separate. I asked one of the guys there about the abandoned train lines and if there was any plan to use them and he said that 'they aren't easy to get backup running' and that in terms of transport they are going to concentrate on the here and now and what they can do with current and new technology. I said the traffic can be bad but they seem to think that it is an ok place in Manchester to get to and if the etihad can cope with 55k then this will be able to cope with half as much - not sure what or if there are plans for matches at the etihad and events here clashing!

I asked about the collar site and he didn't give much away bar that he hopes the stadium will be a piece in the jigsaw and that it is hoped development on the collar site will follow, but didn't sound like there is anything is imminent. He said the architect calls the screens on the top of the stadium as it's 'halo' and that people want the experience to start outside the stadium which is what that will supposedly do.

FWIW:

I asked one of the guys there about the abandoned train lines and if there was any plan to use them and he said that 'they aren't easy to get backup running' and that in terms of transport they are going to concentrate on the here and now and what they can do with current and new technology. I said the traffic can be bad but they seem to think that it is an ok place in Manchester to get to and if the etihad can cope with 55k then this will be able to cope with half as much - not sure what or if there are plans for matches at the etihad and events here clashing!

Thanks for the feedback. What the guy told you is consistent with the statements they have put into the press - they think the existing infrastructure can cope (or, if it doesn't, then I guess they probably privately think that visitor behaviour will over time simply adjust to the new realities)

Incidentally, the rails next to the stadium aren't abandoned, they are intact and still used by freight and empty passenger trains returning to depot. For the past few years there has also been a weekly TransPennine train using these rails on the Manchester Airport-Scarborough service during the May-November period. This short video shows the view from the driver's cab on this stretch.

Public transport is absolutely crucial. Yes, in absolute terms it's not that far from the Etihad to Piccadilly. It certainly isn't the Pennine Way. But when it's pissing with rain (has been known in Manchester) when it's dark (seedy area at best) and when you're old/knackered/rushing to get the last bus (or last bus for an hour) it's a long way and it's off-putting.

Baffles me why effective and efficient public transport is such a low priority in this country. Politicians seem to think if they hum a tune and mention bikes occasionally the problem will go away. It won't, and it has a hobbling effect on the entire economy as people say stuff it and stay at home instead of going out and generating profits for the leisure industry.

Public transport is absolutely crucial. Yes, in absolute terms it's not that far from the Etihad to Piccadilly. It certainly isn't the Pennine Way. But when it's pissing with rain (has been known in Manchester) when it's dark (seedy area at best) and when you're old/knackered/rushing to get the last bus (or last bus for an hour) it's a long way and it's off-putting.

Baffles me why effective and efficient public transport is such a low priority in this country. Politicians seem to think if they hum a tune and mention bikes occasionally the problem will go away. It won't, and it has a hobbling effect on the entire economy as people say stuff it and stay at home instead of going out and generating profits for the leisure industry.
Public transport is a huge priority in London and mayors and MP's get elected off the back of their transport policies - and they deliver on them. Because London's public transport is properly funded.

Manchester gets a 5th of the funding London does per head for public transport.

It's only a low priority here because the government don't give two shits about funding it properly.

Public transport is a huge priority in London and mayors and MP's get elected off the back of their transport policies - and they deliver on them. Because London's public transport is properly funded.

Manchester gets a 5th of the funding London does per head for public transport.

It's only a low priority here because the government don't give two shits about funding it properly.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50592261

NW gets just under half what London gets.
Just be glad you aren't in Humberside/Yorkshire (for many reasons but mainly because) they get about 1/4, and East Midlans just a tiny bit less than them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.