Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Discussion in 'Bluemoon forum' started by Danamy, 12 Jun 2017.

1. gkmcfc

gkmcfc

I noticed Manchester Giants play at the DW complex near the Trafford Centre these days. Can't see any meaningful numbers wanting to watch a basketball team, but the whole sporting ethos of the campus is fantastic. It would be good to see the next phase of development tie in with a North Stand expansion in the next few years.

2. nmc

nmc

That’s perhaps why United signed Lindelof- perhaps he can play basketball- he certainly can’t play football.

3. blueparrot

blueparrot

Don't know what numbers watch British Basketball but went to my first game at the weekend the BBL final in Glasgow and surprised how much I enjoyed it, speed of movement and passing, not surprised Peps a big fan, I'd definitely go again and if City fans give it a go if we are linked with a Manchester team it may attract new fans and help grow the sport.

4. manchester blue

manchester blue

Basketball is incredibly skilful and even in lower levels players possess more skill than lower level footballers. Love watching the Giants and would certainly support a city franchise team.

5. Psychedelic Casual

Psychedelic Casual

I used to go and watch the Giants around 1996-2000 and we used to get about 9-10000 at the MEN Arena and got the British Basketball record attendance of nearly 15000 once. That’s a good crowd for clubs of either code of rugby. Basketball is the second biggest played sport at youth level in the country.

6. gkmcfc

gkmcfc

Yeah I went to watch them at the Arena and the ice hickey too. It needs to be a realistic size venue otherwise it just isn't viable. Storm get crowds of 2-3000 at Alty

7. warpig

warpig

Loudest cheer from the stadium as a while on Sunday was when Dennis tueart came out before the game.

I was sat directly opp south stand in corps and had a good view at how disjointed our support is. I heard one chant started by 1894 that got drowned out by 111 section. Another just petered out. Only thing done in unision was the mock cheering to Chelsea fans when we got a corner

8. nmc

nmc

Any North Stand revamp has to create a true home end.

9. Jordie

Jordie

Unfortunately that won't happen, too many people are more interested in having banter/pisstakes with opposition fans than getting behind the team.

10. trueblue gio

trueblue gio

Early Super League era Hull FC were Hull Sharks I think