Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Could be a move that could end up as a big positive for Rangers. They have good backers and have long term plans for Super League. With the RFL moving in where they play Rangers could be worked with and Manchester (rugby league is crying out for more big city teams like Leeds have) could see some good rugby league in future years.

I see further down that article MMU’s Institude of Sport is mentioned and Rangers already work with MMU.

Would be great to see a Manchester Super League team.

Good times for me, I love the sport!

Last edited by a moderator:
So are the RFL going to develop under the stand on the 'empty side' of the Minihad then?

EDIT - just read the article, they're going in the Regional Arena behind the Etihad Stadium, where the girls and the reserves used to play

Last edited:
Bloody hell - it's not enough we're ruining football, now we have to go sticking our nose in RL too lol.
Seriously though great times for the local community with the ongoing transformation

I guessing the Etihad will host that weekend event that they have and we really should get the Challenge Cup and Grand Final. Might just be an issue of capacity in the short term.

I think this part could be significant

"The move sees the Rugby Football League become a major tenant within the next phase of the Etihad Campus development, in which the campus will expand as a national sporting centre of excellence, as well as a leisure and entertainment district."

Anybody able to shed any light?

dreamdrain.jpg

So are the RFL going to develop under the stand on the 'empty side' of the Minihad then?

EDIT - just read the article, they're going in the Regional Arena behind the Etihad Stadium, where the girls and the reserves used to play
That’s where Manchester Rangers RL team play now

Can’t believe what is happening to the area. The transformation is incredible. I used to work at Edwards just behind Mary D’s in the mid 60’s and it was so rundown and black. Wonderful to see.

I guessing the Etihad will host that weekend event that they have and we really should get the Challenge Cup and Grand Final. Might just be an issue of capacity in the short term.
Magic Weekend. Where all teams’ fixtures that weekend are played at one stadium. We were supposed to have that long term at the Etihad but the South Stand redevelopment forced it away and Newcastle got it and got similar attendances and fans liked it up there so they stuck with Newcastle for a few years.

Hopefully it’s back at the Etihad. Those weekends were great. Seemed to always fall on blazing hot weekends as well.

CC final and GF final are tough ones to prize away from Wembley and Old Trafford.

Recent Wembley CC final attendances have been:
2017 Hull v Wigan 68525
2016 Hull v Warrington 76235
2015 Leeds v Hull KR 80140
2014 Leeds v Castleford 77914
2013 Wigan v Hull 78137
2012 Warrington v Leeds 79180

Recent Old Trafford GF attendances have been:
2017 Leeds v Castleford 72827
2016 Wigan v Warrington 70202
2015 Leeds v Wigan 73512
2014 St Helens v Wigan 70102
2013 Wigan V Warrington 66281 (but the World Cup final was at Old Trafford a few moths later too and got 74468 for Australia v New Zealand)
2012 Leeds v Warrington 70676

So it’s going to take a lot to prize those games away to the Etihad. How realistic is it that the Etihad will have a capacity at those levels anytime soon? But we could easily get Magic Weekend back.

Recent full weekend attendances for those have been:
2017 St James’ Park 65407
2016 St James’ Park 68276
2015 St James’ Park 67841
2014 Etihad 64552
2013 Etihad 62042
2012 Etihad 63716

Plug and market the Etihad better than the RFL did (how many of you knew that we had that event in those years?) and we’d smash those attendances over a weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a boy from a rugby league town I'd love it if City applied for a Super League Franchise. I've even got a name for them Manchester Sharks!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.