Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

I personally think Leeds Arena is not that great for gigs ( and have been to lots of gigs there ). The standing capacity there far too small for an Arena.

The Co-op is going to be a game changer for venues in this country.

What has also amused me is that all the posturing from ASM during planning about Manchester not being big enough to support 2 x Arenas ( which was supported by both The Times and the MEN ) yet now they are investing £50m in the AO. What a turn up !
The standing capacity at Leeds Arena is fairly small because most of the acts that can fill an arena have an older following.

Last edited:
The standing capacity at Leeds Arena is fairly small because most of the acts that can fill an arena have an older following.
The standing area at Leeds Arena is small due to the design and nothing at all to do with older followings.

The same acts will be playing at the Co-Op who are championing the fact that there are 7500 standing spaces.

The new arena is a total waste of money. This money could have been spent upgrading and expanding the Etihad, adding a retractable pitch and a sliding roof and voila! You’ve got an instant 50,000 capacity indoor arena. Twice the size of what’s being built and keeps the stadium open 52 weeks of the year.

The new arena is a total waste of money. This money could have been spent upgrading and expanding the Etihad, adding a retractable pitch and a sliding roof and voila! You’ve got an instant 50,000 capacity indoor arena. Twice the size of what’s being built and keeps the stadium open 52 weeks of the year.
Lol

The arena is a collaboration so we’re not ‘wasting’ that much money, the idea is to have 2 arenas 52 weeks of the year, I don’t think basketball would go down well at the Etihad ? Retractable roofs have proven to be a bit of a novelty (kind of like curved tv’s) I’ll give you the pitch idea though!

That’s simply not true. How many gigs do they hold at the Millenium Stadium each year not in the Summer with the roof shut ? 1 a year if they are lucky.

Amsterdam Arena ( which has a roof ) has less than 10 concerts a year - most of which are in the Summer when it doesn’t matter about the roof -the Etihad without a roof has 5 gigs scheduled for this Summer.

There are only a handful of artists that can fill a stadium with a 50k + capacity - and stadium tours are arranged in the Summer when roofs don’t matter - so having a roof is a waste of time.

The new Arena is a fantastic investment which will unlock so much for the collar site, for a revamped City Square, and ultimately huge benefits to City and supporters.

120+ events a year is putting another 2.5million people on the site on top of the 1.5m already there for football and stadium gigs.

There will be huge changes over the next 2 or 3 years which will be opened up by having the Arena.

I fully expect the research that have gone into building the arena to have been extensive.

I would also say it is a different experience and not everywhere is suitable to a stadium style gig etc.

I don’t think it will have come out of the pot for improving the Etihad, I would imagine both projects are independent and improving the Etihad will be based on the validity of doing so not by any budgetary restraints.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.