Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Is there a full time department at City working on developing the collar site, COOP live etc?

All this stuff - a massive indoor arena, developing a new stand, a hotel, a bar/restaurant complex...it seems like a job for a top tier property development firm, and yet it seems to be run from the club with ad-hoc outside input when they settle on a new idea.
Construction enquiries get issued from 'Senior Procurement Managers'. My previous experience of dealing with them is they don't come from purely construction backgrounds and most of the information is derived from outsourced companies.

@jrb It was on Apple News then the New York Times and Athletic both behind paywalls managed to save the photo that was all, there was a wee thing on YouTube about it, but the area just now looks like it used for a junkyard

These two links were brought up googling Willits Point

There is a website but no stadium mentioned it

Thanks.

Ten final stadia but I reckon we're about 12th/13th in the pecking order, 11th/12th if Ireland only want one and 10th/11th if they dump on Villa:

4x Guaranteed:
Wembley, Principality, Hampden, 1x Dublin

3x Almost certain:
2nd London, Swamp, 1x North East

3x political/regional options:
Casement Park - surely they'll want to cover all 4 UK countries
2nd Dublin - will Ireland be happy with just the single venue? Possibly, especially if Belfast is included. Slot likely to go to Everton if so.
Villa Park - will they allow the midlands to miss out? Unlikely but this is our only chance I think, but 3x North West V 2x London is unlikely.

4x back up options:
Everton, Etihad, 3rd London, 2nd North East
Exactly !! The idea that getting a group game in the Euros is going to make any difference to the development of the Etihad is ridiculous.

The could put a gold plate exterior out the outside of the stadium and we still wouldn’t get any key games in the tournament.

City will be using World class experts in every field to microscopicaly plan and design every element of the infrastructure development and transport.

It's a huge, complex sequence of over lapping, standalone but mutually supportive projects but no more so than some of those successfully completed and operational in Abu Dhabi and elsewhere.

The make the impossible the art of the possible !!

I have no doubt in their abilities. But projects in Arabic countries don't face the planning hurdles we have over here! Money doesn't overcome every problem here, although it still helps! You only have to see "The Line" proposals in Saudi Arabia to see how ridiculously ambitious the Saudi's are at the moment, with the Red Sea Resort also about 12months off completion now and all the associated developments there.

The Emirates developments are equally state-of-the-art and ambitious, perhaps not quite as futuristic though! Whatever comes forwards should be exciting though. Any idea on timings?

Exactly !! The idea that getting a group game in the Euros is going to make any difference to the development of the Etihad is ridiculous.

The could put a gold plate exterior out the outside of the stadium and we still wouldn’t get any key games in the tournament.

You do like to live up to your name, don't you! ;)

That said, I agree. I happen to know from good contacts in place at the time but no longer that MCFC wanted to expand the ground to 75K had England won the World Cup bid for 2018. We were named as one of the grounds in the English bid on the understanding that we'd have a capacity of at least 60K for the tournament and would have hosted a QF, but our owner wanted to host a semi-final ahead of Old Trafford. At the time, he was prepared to do the work to try and make it happen.

Of course, we could have produced a far better venue than Old Trafford and would still no doubt have been shafted by our own country's footballing authorities. After all, we should in the same way have got the nod for the World Cup in 1966 but the FA ensured Old Trafford hosted the matches in question instead and was bunged cash to upgrade for this purpose. I forget the details but @Gary James is the man to explain it authoritatively.

I personally think a bid between all four home nations plus the Republic is a ridiculous idea given that we all compete separately at international level. It may work for rugby, but in football - where you have much greater strength in depth in terms of the standard across the international game - I really don't think it does.

I can quite imagine that, by 2028, our stadium - as then redeveloped and with the surrounds it'll then have - will be far more suitable for an international tournament than the Meccano shithole. Unfortunately, I doubt that'll count for much.

You do like to live up to your name, don't you! ;)

That said, I agree. I happen to know from good contacts in place at the time but no longer that MCFC wanted to expand the ground to 75K had England won the World Cup bid for 2018. We were named as one of the grounds in the English bid on the understanding that we'd have a capacity of at least 60K for the tournament and would have hosted a QF, but our owner wanted to host a semi-final ahead of Old Trafford. At the time, he was prepared to do the work to try and make it happen.

Of course, we could have produced a far better venue than Old Trafford and would still no doubt have been shafted by our own country's footballing authorities. After all, we should in the same way have got the nod for the World Cup in 1966 but the FA ensured Old Trafford hosted the matches in question instead and was bunged cash to upgrade for this purpose. I forget the details but @Gary James is the man to explain it authoritatively.

I personally think a bid between all four home nations plus the Republic is a ridiculous idea given that we all compete separately at international level. It may work for rugby, but in football - where you have much greater strength in depth in terms of the standard across the international game - I really don't think it does.

I can quite imagine that, by 2028, our stadium - as then redeveloped and with the surrounds it'll then have - will be far more suitable for an international tournament than the Meccano shithole. Unfortunately, I doubt that'll count for much.
Ive been telling my Rag pals about that for years , but ' We earned the money back then'...Not in 1964/5 they didnt
deluded then deluded now

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.