Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Is there a full time department at City working on developing the collar site, COOP live etc?

All this stuff - a massive indoor arena, developing a new stand, a hotel, a bar/restaurant complex...it seems like a job for a top tier property development firm, and yet it seems to be run from the club with ad-hoc outside input when they settle on a new idea.

I doubt there's a department at City working on it. The money and ideas come from the top and then consultants crack on and report back. Deloitte managed the planning application for the SS/NS expansion with Populous Architects doing the design (they've also done Spurs' new stadium amongst a wealth of other projects including masterplanning work). I'd expect the same team on this, doing wider proposals. They'll set the timescales and the budget and the consultants will go and make it work.

The main issue in my opinion is the transport capacity for wider development. The existing infrastructure cannot cope with increased demand in this location. So they'll have to have modelled scenarios and explored mitigation. As Petrusha stated, you'd anticipate some significant S106 contributions towards improving local transport infrastructure. What that will look like I'm unsure. Increased trams? New cycle/footpath connections? Upgrading existing train lines to deliver a new station. Those are the likely options.

@dips66 @jrb @supercity88 has some points here regarding railways to the stadium and the arena

But in theory, it could be possible to create a rail link to Victoria…..
A poster some time ago uploaded an (interactive??) video that allowed you to take a train ride along the track at the side of the campus.
IIRC it split after crossing ATW with one branch going to Victoria and the other one passing the abattoir site over the level crossing at Berry Brow and then through Droylsden and Audenshaw before passing Ashton Moss and onto Ashton and beyond.
Ashton moss is already a park-n-ride location for the metro link with the potential for a great deal more parking spaces.
I have said it before that this would be an ideal stop for a link from the Etihad, lots of car parking spaces, a large number of leisure outlets to help split the after-match travelling crowds.
It also has close motorway links which makes it an ideal location for a quick getaway too
The issues with a link to Piccadilly (without even taking into account the impact of HS2) are lessened in my opinion because of the existing link at Ashburys, plus it’s (apparently) only a 20-minute walk to Piccadilly anyway;-)

But in theory it could be possible to create a rail link to Victoria…..
A poster some time ago uploaded an (interactive??) video that allowed you to take a train ride along the track at the side of the campus.
IIRC it split after crossing ATW with one branch going to Victoria and the other one passed the abattoir site over the level crossing at Berry Brow and then through Droylsden and Audenshaw before passing Ashton Moss and onto Ashton and beyond.
Ashton moss is already a park n ride location for the metro link with potential for a great deal more parking spaces.
I have said it before that this would be an ideal stop for a link from the Etihad, lots of car parking spaces, a large number of leisure outlets to help split the after match travelling crowds.
It also has close motorway links which makes it an ideal location for a quick getaway too
The issues with a link to Piccadilly (without even taking into account the impact of HS2) are lessened in my opinion because of the existing link at Ashburys, plus it’s (apparently) only a 20 minute walk to Piccadilly anyway;-)
There already is a link between Victoria and Piccadilly (the £85M Ordsall Chord). Trains from Newcastle visit Victoria via the Huddersfield line, then use the chord around the west of the city to get to Piccadilly before going to the airport. Adding that viaduct would allow trains to avoid the chord (which is very busy) if the intention is to terminate at Piccadilly, but really if people are coming to Manchester from the North or East then it's easier for them to just terminate at Victoria rather than spend a load of money on a bridge. In any case I thought HS2 would make it nigh on impossible to reconnect the track, and if not we would be looking at long past 2030 to get it done. The money would be much better spent on building platforms 15/16 at Piccadilly.

Trains are great but they're not for movement of lots of people over short distances in a short period of time. Tram-train is the best option for this line, connecting Glossop/Marple to Victoria.

A better and full article here.

Even with the mayor’s blessing, the stadium still will need to be approved through the Uniform Land Use Review Procedure, a months-long process that will begin early next year and requires passage by the City Council.

The plan is expected to be unveiled at the Queens Museum.

View attachment 61060

Some of the reader comments on the New York Post story are very cynical about the current state of the area the stadium and housing is planned for. It sounds a bit dodgy, perhaps a bit like Beswick was in the 80s and 90s!

Got this ages ago from Manchester City , maybe working on something in the background @jrb @supercity88 @domalino @Gone for a Burton @petrusha

View attachment 61067

This was a well publicised fan survey which most members got several years back. They also held local fan group sessions as well. Whatever happened, they ultimately delayed expansion of the North Stand following this review. I’d heard there just wasn’t the ticket demand for it at the time but wouldn’t be surprised if half the people who took the surveys were moaning about potentially moving as well.

A better and full article here.

Even with the mayor’s blessing, the stadium still will need to be approved through the Uniform Land Use Review Procedure, a months-long process that will begin early next year and requires passage by the City Council.

The plan is expected to be unveiled at the Queens Museum.

View attachment 61060

Oh, so it’s still may not happen? Haven’t they put forward other stadium builds it gets the big NO!?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.