Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Comparing London and anywhere else, the per capita transport spend in this country is a national disgrace. Bias towards the capital is so far out of alignment with equitable major transport projects yet nobody in government bats an eyelid. No MP ever raises it and then they throw us a bone like HS2 and then over time think of every excuse under the sun to slowly degrade and devalue it so that in the end it's nothing more than a shadow of the project that was envisaged and ends up scrapped or resembling a half arsed peacemeal solution. Yet Cross link is fully supported from start to escalated price finish with no expense spared. As I said national disgrace.

There's been some recent talk of examining the potential re-instatement of the viaduct which would allow trains to access Piccadilly platforms 1-4 from the Phillips Park-Ashbury's chord (i.e. the track that goes past the Etihad)

If this was to happen it would allow trains from the north and west to access the Piccadilly main shed and more importantly to get to Piccadilly by avoiding Platform 13/14 and the Deansgate/Oxford Rd corridor which has others have said is very congested and would very expensive to sort out (probably around £1 billion as costs will have gone up since Grayling vetoed it a few years back).

If this re-instatement ever happened the interesting bit is that it could provide an opportunity for a station to serve the Stadium and Arena (assuming the latter is built of course).

I'm not holding my breath of course

Comparing London and anywhere else, the per capita transport spend in this country is a national disgrace. Bias towards the capital is so far out of alignment with equitable major transport projects yet nobody in government bats an eyelid. No MP ever raises it and then they throw us a bone like HS2 and then over time think of every excuse under the sun to slowly degrade and devalue it so that in the end it's nothing more than a shadow of the project that was envisaged and ends up scrapped or resembling a half arsed peacemeal solution. Yet Cross link is fully supported from start to escalated price finish with no expense spared. As I said national disgrace.

All the major decision makers - civil servants, Ministers and even Northern MPs live in London - we are the most centrally based system of government in the World - and its no surprise these people vote to spend all the money on themselves. Just look at the billions spent on London Stations, London Bridge, St Pancras, Kings Cross and the fleets of 10 and 12 car new trains whilst us Northerners had to cope with 2 car pacers. The average age of a commuter train out of Waterloo is 3 years old at Piccadilly it’s 18. Says it all.

Just look at the billions spent on London Stations, London Bridge, St Pancras, Kings Cross and the fleets of 10 and 12 car new trains whilst us Northerners had to cope with 2 car pacers. The average age of a commuter train out of Waterloo is 3 years old at Piccadilly it’s 18. Says it all.

Here in NE Wales we are getting 'new' trains in the form of Class 230s - which are actually converted London Underground tube trains originally built in the mid 1970s through to the early 1980s.

TBF they can run on battery power so they should be more eco-friendly than the 150s they are replacing on the Borderland line.

I understand that TFW are also planning to use them on the Chester-Crewe shuttle and on the Conwy Valley line.

Here in NE Wales we are getting 'new' trains in the form of Class 230s - which are actually converted London Underground tube trains originally built in the mid 1970s through to the early 1980s.

TBF they can run on battery power so they should be more eco-friendly than the 150s they are replacing on the Borderland line.

I understand that TFW are also planning to use them on the Chester-Crewe shuttle and on the Conwy Valley line.

Yes - D stock tube trains that were deemed clapped out and in need of replacement in the capital (the order for S Stock - the re[placement trains- was the biggest order for trains in the UK's history over £1.5 billion)- and - the D stock built in the late 70s -are suddenly perfectly alright in the provinces - the question must be asked why not refurbish them on the Underground???. There's an issue with using these trains on the Crewe to Chester line because they can only do 50 mils an hour and will disrupt other services. It's an age old thing... procure new trains for the SE and then redistribute the cast offs to the provinces....

All the major decision makers - civil servants, Ministers and even Northern MPs live in London - we are the most centrally based system of government in the World - and its no surprise these people vote to spend all the money on themselves. Just look at the billions spent on London Stations, London Bridge, St Pancras, Kings Cross and the fleets of 10 and 12 car new trains whilst us Northerners had to cope with 2 car pacers. The average age of a commuter train out of Waterloo is 3 years old at Piccadilly it’s 18. Says it all.
If our owner had not invested in the East Manchester Area things would have been much worse. The least they could do is improve infrastructure and communications.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.