Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Who could we get as tenants for the old stadium as it would be if we built a second stadium ?

Rochdale ? Oldham ? Bury ? Sale ? Salford ? A basket ball team ? American Football ?
Maybe we can rent it to the rags. Their current hovel is falling to pieces, after all.
Wouldn’t be the first time they’ve kipped on our sofa either…

I normally enjoy this thread but come on, it’s absolute fantasy any thoughts that a new stadium could be built.

The reality is the Etihad extension plans have been shelved because we have shown in the past 5 years that we don’t need any extra seats or a substantial further increase to corporate offerings.

We should be content that 50k turning up every home game is a decent attendance. But we have reached a level where more seats are not required. The idea that Abu Dhabi will spend 500m to a billion on a new stadium cause the existing one looks a bit dated ( after 20 years ) is nonsense.

If every game was sold out and demand was there the North Stand would have been developed by now. Instead the club have been able to rip out 1000 seats they only put in a couple of years ago for bigger pitch side advertising without any fan complaints cause they know the ticket sale ceiling has been reached. Comments about ‘bus conductor’ style ticket vendors wandering up Alan Turing way are frankly ridiculous.

And not to mention the post Covid situation which will have a further negative impact on attendances.

The main property focus over the next 10 years will be on the arena and developing the collar site for hospitality to support the Arena ( and stadium ).

Would imagine they will continue too look at the doing something with the outside of the stadium, but suspect it will be in line with the cosmetic poster type coverings that we have at the moment.

Coming up to 20 years since the external works were done at City and no money spent since really. It looks so shabby. Cost £10m the package with Jim Ennis at the time. Could and should have been done while Covid has been ongoing.
It’s underfoot where it’s worst, for me. Whenever it rains the puddles are huge and many, and the paintwork on Joe Mercer Way/City Sq is bobbins (looks bobbins, a bit slippery when wet n’all).

But the exterior of the stadium is looking dated too. One thing that always bugs me is that glass(or glass looking) rim around the stadium that’s filthy, looks like it’s never been cleaned.

Metrolink/TfGM don’t help with the upkeep of the area neither. The covered way where everyone queues up to get the Met after the game is also filthy, looks like it’s never been cleaned.

Most people probably don’t notice all this stuff, but I’m one who always takes a good look at everything (not just at City but everywhere around this city) and it always frustrates me how buildings, pavements, and roads are just not looked after or cleaned properly.

I would actually hope we decide to build an entirely new stadium in the next decade on where the gas holder and car parks are - it is huge and then the footprint for the Etihad can be used for more parking, transport and leisure buildings?

It seems stupid to spend another £100m on an increase to a stadium which in ten years time will look even more dated in comparison to some of the new structures?
Great shout. Never even thought of that.

stadium cost 90 million. Extension cost 60 fifteen years later. So it don’t cost more. Also not enough space on north car park.
If the gas site is included there is and also include replacements for the Takewondo and Tennis in a new stadium complex and use that space

I'm sure that the extension cost over £100m but regardless, still doesn't make economic sense for the number of seats and its a very compromised, even if quite brilliant, design

Doesn’t the south stand have a new roof suspended by cables? And the old roof is gon. I thought the cable net of the old roof was still in place but if they replaced all the roofs same as the south they could then remove the old cable net.
The cablenet is still in place otherwise the existing roof would collapse The problem with the roof is that its difficult to replace around the timescale of a football season. The design of any new roof would be compromised with additional expense until the final stand is completed Would be difficult to add much more to the capacity, aside from the north stand I don't believe the current stadium is fit for purpose and would be easier and make more sense to build a new one

The cablenet is still in place otherwise the existing roof would collapse The problem with the roof is that its difficult to replace around the timescale of a football season. The design of any new roof would be compromised with additional expense until the final stand is completed Would be difficult to add much more to the capacity, aside from the north stand I don't believe the current stadium is fit for purpose and would be easier and make more sense to build a new one
I don't really have a strong opinion on a new stadium , it would be nice if it doesn't impact on team budget but that's down to those that have to pay for it.
Think the original plans for the current stadium with all 4 sides extended and a stadium wrap looked great in the photos of the mock ups from a few years back and took us up to over 70,000 probably more with safe standing which would probably be enough.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.