Etihad Campus, Stadium Development and Collar Site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Etihad Campus & potential new stadium

warpig said:
so let me get this right; are people really concerned about mcc not granting planning permission for a new stadium? it would be an absolute formality.

Why would it? They make so much more money off keeping us renting the Etihad...

warpig said:
so let me get this right; are people really concerned about mcc not granting planning permission for a new stadium? it would be an absolute formality.
Don't know how you come to that conclusion. MCC get £3 million from the club and have a responsibility to interested parties (i.e. Sport England who helped fund the stadium) for it to be used and maintained. I guess your not familiar with the term 'white elephant'...

ste.sully said:
warpig said:
Don't know how you come to that conclusion. MCC get £3 million from the club and have a responsibility to interested parties (i.e. Sport England who helped fund the stadium) for it to be used and maintained. I guess your not familiar with the term 'white elephant'...
£3m is chicken feed in the great scheme of things, i believe we earn around £1m for each concert that is held there. Also the council would factor in the extra revenue brought into the city by more fans attending a new enlarged stadium.
I don't know what the deal is with Sport England but i'm sure there would be an easy way around any agreements with them considering the amounts of money involved.

Etihad Campus & potential new stadium

The lease on the Stadium is the balance of 250 years, it must be assumed that a new structure would be required at least once in this timeframe.
We just want the new structure now and are prepared to pay for it - where is the problem?

On the annual fee to the council that is now limited to £3m have a think about why Liverpool, Everton and Spurs (even Chelsea) are falling behind United in match day revenues.

Then look at Arsenal, a club that invested in a modern stadium from their own pockets even with massive revenues from their old site, and how interest fees on that debt dwarfed £3m p.a.

The model City have worked to for COMS/Etihad is the envy of most other clubs TBH.

fbloke said:
On the annual fee to the council that is now limited to £3m have a think about why Liverpool, Everton and Spurs (even Chelsea) are falling behind United in match day revenues.

Then look at Arsenal, a club that invested in a modern stadium from their own pockets even with massive revenues from their old site, and how interest fees on that debt dwarfed £3m p.a.

The model City have worked to for COMS/Etihad is the envy of most other clubs TBH.

And thats why they will develop rather than rebuild. It doesnt make sense to start again when you have such a good deal, the stadium can be expanded as has been proven and we have enough land around the ground to develop it too.

el bee said:
The lease on the Stadium is the balance of 250 years, it must be assumed that a new structure would be required at least once in this timeframe.
We just want the new structure now and are prepared to pay for it - where is the problem?

The problem is with MCC. They receive £3m a year for doing absolutely nothing and £3m x 250 years = far more than we would pay to buy the stadium. They have essentially set themselves up on the gravy train for the next 10 generations. If we build a new stadium, we would most probably build it on land that we - not they - own. Not only will they not get any money from that, they lose their £3m stipend AND they are left nursing a stadium that no-one will want.

It's a bit like owning two houses - you live in one, some other guy rents the other one from you, and has an agreement that he'll rent it for more than it's worth for the rest of his life. One day in the middle of the financial crisis he approaches you and says he's come into a bit of money and wants to build his own house. Problem is you are now hard on cash yourself and can't afford your own house, and you know no-one else can afford your rent. Why wouldn't you force him to keep paying your rent at the cost of his own dreams?

Falastur said:
el bee said:

The problem is with MCC. They receive £3m a year for doing absolutely nothing and £3m x 250 years = far more than we would pay to buy the stadium. They have essentially set themselves up on the gravy train for the next 10 generations. If we build a new stadium, we would most probably build it on land that we - not they - own. Not only will they not get any money from that, they lose their £3m stipend AND they are left nursing a stadium that no-one will want.

It's a bit like owning two houses - you live in one, some other guy rents the other one from you, and has an agreement that he'll rent it for more than it's worth for the rest of his life. One day in the middle of the financial crisis he approaches you and says he's come into a bit of money and wants to build his own house. Problem is you are now hard on cash yourself and can't afford your own house, and you know no-one else can afford your rent. Why wouldn't you force him to keep paying your rent at the cost of his own dreams?

I thought everything we are doing is a partnership between us and the council anyway?

JoeMercer'sWay said:
Falastur said:
el bee said:

I thought everything we are doing is a partnership between us and the council anyway?

It is, but building a new stadium wouldn't be. They might not take too kindly to that, shall we say, and it might well cause them to reevaluate their involvement in the rest of our cooperation...

Falastur said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:
Falastur said:

It is, but building a new stadium wouldn't be. They might not take too kindly to that, shall we say, and it might well cause them to reevaluate their involvement in the rest of our cooperation...

that's if you think we haven't thought of most of the possible outcomes to us changing the stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.